Forum: Highland / Highland - Choreography

Highland - Choreography
Debate on Choreo Music: traditional vs.???
By KirstenLeeSmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 779, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Thu Dec 20, 2012 07:22 PM
Edited by dancingqueenkirs (125170) on 2012-12-20 19:23:39 Spelling
Edited by dancingqueenkirs (125170) on 2012-12-20 19:25:39 Spelling

I've been wondering this for some time now- creativity is, by definition, loosely defined.

When entering a number in choreography, it's generally defined as 'Celtic' or 'Scottish' in nature.

I'd like to hear thoughts on this rule and what everybody thinks this means. Does it mean bagpipes? Mouth music? Do the pipes need to be Scottish pipes or do small pipes suffice? Fiddles ok? Drums alone, or only the bodran or even snare? Harp?

Understandably it's hard to define- on one hand we could all do the fling to any pop song out there. I don't think I'd want to see choreography going as far as competitions to club music, however my thoughts are that the "celtic" definition leaves a lot of open interpretation, including Cajun fiddle, country music, zen, etc.

Would you be alright with dancers taking the stage to any genre? Would you prefer a 'Celtic' instrument be somewhere In the music, or does it not matter? How do you feel on mixing 2 or 3 songs in a number, as long as a 'Celtic' instrument is included?

I'm very curious. My standpoint is that I very much appreciate the artists that are used often in competition however I feel repetition in the music used in numbers, due to a limited amount of 'Scottish' music out there with a great beat to dance to, takes away from the "creativity" aspect of choreography. I don't think it should be acceptable to dance to just anything, but what is the grey area?

4 Replies to Debate on Choreo Music: traditional vs.???

re: Debate on Choreo Music: traditional vs.???
By Skyesbridge Comments: 320, member since Sun Feb 01, 2009
On Fri Dec 21, 2012 03:50 AM
Good Questions.

I personally think the term 'Celtic' can refer to the instruments being played, or to the tune 'sound' itself.

I would find a tune of just a penny whistle & bodhran would be acceptable. As I would someone using a Song being sung in Gaelic.. not necessarily with musical accompaniment.

I've seen Choreography done using everything from The Red Hot Chilli Pipers ( ok, they are Pipers, but not your everyday Pipe tunes) to just a person Singing a Scottish Lullaby.

I do believe there are many Celtic bands out there, that don't always follow the 'traditional' sound, but still have a bit of Celtic flair to them.
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3223, member since Sat Jul 30, 2005
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:49 AM
I suppose in a way, it would depend on the judges, as well, and what they prefer.

Me, I tend to like the push the envelope. I'd be inclined to do a choreo to some type of Celtic punk/metal/electronica-included, something like that.

I'm sure my teacher would cringe; she would probably say that it's too much "different" and non-traditional and judges wouldn't see it favorably. Technically, it would be Celtic enough to fall within the rules, but I'm not sure-- if the judge just personally didn't like that type of music being used, could one be marked down? (I would like to say no, it shouldn't be that way-- if it's Celtic music, then they should be judging based on the dancing, and the only musical consideration should be if the dancer is on-time and the dance fits the music, but I'm not sure that's how it would pan out...)
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1138, member since Fri Jul 06, 2007
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 01:17 AM
I have found it *really* depends on the judge and how the rules are worded.

Overall I try and find loopholes and make the music I want work.

I have used some very non-traditional music and still placed-
-Blue Suede Shoes for an Elvis choreography.
-A track from Pirates of the Caribbean for a Halloween choreography.
-The Superman Theme Song for a Supergirl choreography.
By sew_what Comments: 113, member since Mon Mar 18, 2013
On Fri Apr 05, 2013 06:16 PM
I think that the sound of instruments and the style that has the celtic flare to it is what should be acceptable. I don't think that club music should be used in competition but what about music with lyrics? is there a rule on that?

ReplySendWatch