Forum: Advice / Beauty - Makeovers

Beauty - Makeovers
I don't know what shade of red I want my hair as...
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:30 PM
Edited by Damhnait (177844) on 2012-12-24 23:32:06

So I've dyed my hair for the first time ever this summer to a difficult color: red. I've found out very quickly that the color I had in my mind that I wanted is very hard to describe what I want, even with color swatches at the salon.

--So the first picture is my natural color.

--The second picture is when I first dyed my hair(sorry, kind of bad lighting)

--The third is a color it faded to

--and the fourth is the color it ended up to before I dyed it again (long overdue).

The 5th picture is my current color I have. When I first dyed it, it was very dark and was hardly distinguishable from my natural color except in bright, natural light, and has now faded to what's in the picture (taken about a week ago).

I guess my question here is that what do you all think looks better on me overall. I really want a color that when people see me from across the room would go "she's a ginger" without hesitation. I really liked the first color, but near the end I felt it was TOO light, but that could easily be fixed by getting of my bum to a salon sooner, but I like the deepness of my current red, but at the same time wish it was lighter and easier to see in low lights instead of sunlight.

I'd prefer to pick between the two since there was a dye process between these where we added too much RED-red into the mix and it didn't look natural and just didn't sit well with me, so trying a new color combination again when I'm about to transfer to a new university next month isn't something I want to do. So DDN, which color do you think looks best on me for me to stick with?

2 Replies to I don't know what shade of red I want my hair as...

re: I don't know what shade of red I want my hair as...
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2118, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Tue Dec 25, 2012 07:22 AM
I've been dying red for... god, years now (I feel so old saying that and I'm only 21 lol). I've found that the lighter reds, while they tend to fade more, seem to look better on fair skin. HOWEVER, if you are too fair (like myself- I don't tan at all, i'm, literally, blindingly white. This is no joke, i'm so not exaggerating lol), the darker reds will be more flattering. Really, it's based on personal preference.

I think what would be best is to go for a lighter red that leans more towards the oranges and blondes than it does the browns (to avoid the "brunette look while in dark lights"). Reds fade really easily as I'm sure you've noticed, but if you go with a more strawberry/copper red, you'll get the "ginger" look you want without the awkward fade that some darker reds can give you. I always went darker, and I was constantly in the salon getting my roots done- my natural color is slightly lighter than yours. Just a warning.

i hope this helped!
re: I don't know what shade of red I want my hair as...
By FashionQueen Comments: 2, member since Sun Jan 06, 2013
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:13 AM
I think your hair would look good with an auburn shade. Either that or maybe strawberry blonde they are more natural shades of red, and you would totally rock it!
xoxo
(fashionqueen)

ReplySendWatch