Forum: Advice / Stretching

Pain in my middle split!
By Balletassassian
On Thu Dec 27, 2012 09:15 PM

Hey guys!When try to go down in my middle split (I am about 3-4 inches from getting it) i have this sharp pain in my hips like I couldn't go any farther if my life depended on it. I haven't had any hips injuries in my past so I am not sure what the problem is. :( My mom says that it looks like my hips and my thighs are in a straight line but just cant sit down. I would really like to have my middle split when my ballet class starts again (January 7th) so any tips will be appreciated!

6 Replies to Pain in my middle split!

re: Pain in my middle split!
By dancetwirlbow
On Sat Dec 29, 2012 08:59 AM
There's nothing wrong with feeling a pain in your hips, it may just be a sub-set of your stretching. Perhaps you over-stretched and pushed yourself too hard. I suggest you take it easy and don't go too hard on yourself when you stretch. Give yourself a break. But if not, then ignore the pain and just go full out. You may very well achieve your desired effect of a middle split
By hummingbird
On Sat Dec 29, 2012 02:36 PM
There are two types of pain when you're stretching, the kind that it's ok to ignore, to a degree and the sort that should not ever be ignored.

It sounds like you're being sensible and listening to your body, do not under any circumstances try to, just push down that last few inches.

Are you breathing properly as you get to the bottom of your split or are you holding your breath? Your muscles need oxygen to be able to work effectively and I've seen a lot of my students over the years try to stretch whilst holding their breath, or at least they try to hold it as they get to the most difficult part of the stretch.

See if focusing on breathing and relaxing helps a bit more.
By Balletassassian
On Sun Dec 30, 2012 01:28 AM
@ Dancetwirlbow - Thanks! I don't think its from over stretching because even after I warm up and try to go into my middle split my hips hurt :/ But I am glad to know the pain is normal! I was getting worried that I had a weird bone structure or something :P

@ Hummingbird - I think I am holding my breath when I go down :P I will definitely try to breath more! I will let you know how it goes :D
By hummingbird
On Sun Dec 30, 2012 05:22 AM
If you're worried about the pain in your hip perhaps you could describe it's location a bit more to us.

Above the joint?

Below the joint on the outside part of your leg?

On the inside thigh, below the hip?

The Back of your hip, the buttocks? Lower or upper?

The front of the hip or the groin?

The more specific you are the better we might be able to help you and I stress the might as we can't watch you do your stretching.
By Balletassassian
On Mon Dec 31, 2012 02:17 AM
The pain is in the front and it's like in my hip joint... Is this is normal? :/
By Balletassassian
On Mon Dec 31, 2012 02:18 AM
If you need more specifics I will try to explain more :)

ReplySendWatch