Forum: Advice / Stretching

Get flexible fast and effective for beginners
By dancetwirlbow
On Sat Dec 29, 2012 08:34 AM

Hey I'm not very experienced in dance and I have only had a year of dancing. My flexibility ranges from being able to catch my front and side leg and being able to do a right split most of the time. Is there any way to improve my flexibility through some stretching exercises?

2 Replies to Get flexible fast and effective for beginners

re: Get flexible fast and effective for beginners (karma: 1)
By FeisForFoodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 29, 2012 03:28 PM
Hello. :) I see that you're ou're new here, so I've got a quick bit of advice about the Stretching board. When you're on the main page of any board, the bold threads at the top are called Stickies, and they're there because someone decided they were too awesome to get lost down the page. The Stretching board has several with lots of good stretches and advice, like this one: www.dance.net . . .

In general, it's a good idea to take flexibility training slowly, or you can easily hurt yourself and damage your flexibility (and maybe more) in the long run. So take it slow and easy. Effective yes, fast no!
re: Get flexible fast and effective for beginners
By Izzyballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 12, 2013 09:44 PM
Okay, here's what I do, and I've definitely noticed improvement! So every night after working out (if you don't workout daily, make sure to warm up before stretching) I do:
1 minute toe touch w toes pointed
1 min toe touch w feet flexed
1 min in right split
1 min in left split
30-45 sec oversplits on both sides
Repeat 1 min split on each side
Middle splits (hold for 4-5 minutes)
Middle splits on back against the wall for 4 mins
Butterfly stretch for 2 mins
And then, if you're flexible enough, stretch your extensions in a door frame.

I hope this helps! :)

ReplySendWatch