Forum: Highland / Highland - Theory

Highland - Theory
Taking Exam Without Dancer Kilt
By SMSSDTeacher Comments: 4, member since Thu Jun 21, 2012
On Mon Dec 31, 2012 01:06 AM

I am taking my Members in a few weeks and I have a costume question.

I took my Associates 15 years ago when I was still dancing. Now I teach, but I haven't danced on a stage in a decade. I do not own a kilt outfit that fits me (surprise, I grew sideways after high school).

I can wear my grandfather's old kilt, but it's not a dance kilt and I do not have a vest or tartan hose. Can I show up in that kilt with a white blouse, white knee socks, and ghillies?

I'm not worried about the exam at all except for this one thing! Thanks for your advice.

4 Replies to Taking Exam Without Dancer Kilt

re: Taking Exam Without Dancer Kilt
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Mon Dec 31, 2012 01:45 AM
If I recall correctly, wearing something like that would be okay. I can't find it written anywhere but I swear I've seen something that said one could wear a nice outfit like one might wear to teach, such as a tartan skirt and a blouse with nylons and ghillies. I don't have a source so I wouldn't trust this information completely! If I were you, I'd start looking for a kilt outfit to wear AND asking whoever you know that might know the answer to this for sure. I know a girl who did her Members in 2010 the same day I did wearing a skirt and nylons but these things change.

(There's a lot of information like this that is really hard to find. I wish it was made easier to find. I was told that a lot of these things are in the SOBHD Rules and Constitution book but not to buy the current one because they are in the process of putting out a new one. But that was in 2011! How the heck are we supposed to know what to do if we can't find that information?!)
By dancersmom48 Comments: 317, member since Tue Jul 19, 2005
On Mon Dec 31, 2012 02:01 AM
Is borrowing an outfit an option? A friend recently completed her members exam and borrowed my daughters outfit for the exam.
By LingScot Comments: 1036, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Mon Dec 31, 2012 02:08 AM
I would contact the examiner. That way, you'll be sure to get the "right" answer for your particular situation. In my experience, examiners have been pretty understanding, but it's best to get it straight from the source.
By batd_teacherPremium member Comments: 2551, member since Mon Feb 23, 2004
On Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:22 PM
I took my member's exam in BATD in 2001 and it was required that we wear a kilt. Another student arrived for the exam without highland gear and was instructed to borrow a kilt in order to complete the exam.

My syllabus states that for Highland exams, kilt, or kilted skirt to the knees with body suit or school shirt is accepted. (Section 6, page 32 - edition isn't printed on the book but it's the burgundy plaid BATD syllabus)

It is always best to arrive in full "uniform" when possible.

I do recommend getting your current instructor to confirm what the adjudicator will accept as appropriate attire for your exam.

And absolute best of luck!

ReplySendWatch