Forum: Arts / Fiction

Fiction
My work is not my own... No where near it. How can I change this?
By Jaffah Comments: 32, member since Tue Mar 29, 2011
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:17 AM

So, I've posted before about this same issue, but i'm after some new advice on it...

So, i've been reading on the fiction section here at DDN about Inspiration vs copying...

So, my story is taking from a concept in Doctor Who... The Centurion that waited 2000 years for his lover in the Pandorica. (based from the episodes "The Pandorica Opens" and "The Big Bang")

I love the idea so much, but i'm just not sure how to make it my own...

Whilst I love a good fan fic, i don't want to make a whole novel that will just be written off as "just another stupid fan fic". A lot of people are really demeaning about the whole fan fiction category of writing.

I'm not taking every component from the episode... ONLY the concept of the Roman Centurion that waited 2000 years for his lover who is trapped inside the Pandorica... I have no intention of taking anything else such as the aliens and sci fi components, or the Doctor, or anything like that. Just the Roman Centurion, his lover who is trapped inside the pandorica for 2000 years. I even have a new theory for how the Centurion (the characters name is Rory in the episode) manages to stay alive for 2000 years! I never really liked the nestene approach anyway. And without the Doctor and aliens, a few things need to be twitched.

So. Why don't I just keep the Doctor, aliens and other things like that? Well, it's simple. I am the worst person at writing as the Doctor. Honestly. I've done role playing as the Doctor, and it was terrible. I don't have that ability to capture his quirkiness. And, although it'll never be truely my own, I just don't want to make the whole novel to be a full in depth fan fiction work.

When i asked last time, I was told just to go with the flow of it being a work of fan fiction, but i just can't shake it... i feel as though it's not right...

I've done a lot of research into Ancient Roman history for it. Everything from dates, locations, names, jobs, life, death, ways of living, customs and religions. And I intend to do further research in the coming weeks.

So, I don't want to settle for "just another stupid fan fic".

Is there anything I can do about this?

The reason i'm bringing it up now, is because I'm currently looking at Ancient Roman names, and how i can vary them into modern English names. If i'm keeping it fan fiction, then i need to be looking for Roman varients of the names "Amelia Pond" and "Rory Williams". But if there's a way to make it my own, then i suppose names will need to be changed... Roman names are so confusing, that i don't want to have to re-create the names (naw. Poor me! "get over it", i bet you're saying)

So, i mean, i just want to make it clear... I don't think it will ever be publish worthy anyway... Even if i did find a way to get around copyright issues. But, a girl with a passion for writing fiction can dream, can't she?

Yep. Okay. I've just read what I've written about 5 times, and even I can't find a clear message in amongst my babbling. So, if you can think of any comments, or anything comforting, then please. Let me know :)

6 Replies to My work is not my own... No where near it. How can I change this?

re: My work is not my own... No where near it. How can I change this?
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:57 AM
Well, this is what I do and it might work for you, it might not. Don't aim for your novel to be a fan fiction or even a sci fi novel. Just pick up a pen/laptop and start to write. Have no idea where the story is going to go, or where it will end up. Just write and see what happens. I always do this. I never plan my stories because then your work ends up completely original and usually a lot more interesting that fan fictions that are based on tv shows.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 05:13 PM
1) There are no new ideas in fiction. Everything that's ever been done has been done before. The elements of a story are simple: love, mystery, money, suspense, passion, anger, hatred. It's how you use them that makes them unique. This is also because

2) Everyone is inspired by something. 50 Shades of Grey started out as Twilight fanfiction. J.K. Rowling thought up Harry Potter while riding on a train (hence the Hogwarts Express). We are inspired by what we read, hear, see, and live through. And those elements, again, are repititious and we see them over and over and over again.

And they're still not boring!

3) Once you start writing a story, it gets away from you. I started working on a graphic novel about 2 years ago. It started out as an autobiography, which I hated. As I worked on it, the characters grew and came alive on their own. I was recording their exploits, and they started to differentiate themselves from who I'd based them on, until they were clearly different people altogether. Any writer can tell you that their original idea of a story is often completely different from the end result, so much so that it's hard to tell what the original inspiration even was. This story I have mapped out in detail and it's still varying a lot from what I thought it would be.

5) I don't think that taking this one idea - A Roman soldier waiting X thousand years for his love in a prison somewhere - is original to Doctor Who, and I don't think taking this one concept will cause any copyright issues or even look like fan fiction if you make it your own. Don't write Rory and Amy, write loosely-based-on-Rory-Centaurion and loosely-based-on-Amy lover. Go from there.

Being inspired isn't stealing, or else we'd all be screwed.
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 05:27 PM
First of all, I LOVE those episodes and I love the plotline of Rory waiting.
I think you can absolutely still work with it and stay original. I think what you need to look at is different time periods than the show did - all they showed was her entering and leaving, there's tons of material in those 2000 years for you to make original!
Also, when they arrive at the museum, the display shows how there was a lot of folklore about the pandorica, how it was always seen with a centurion, it was recorded in history in many different ways. (or at least that was my take on it, I haven't seen the episode in a while) You could also look at it from one of these perspectives, then, from a completely different time period, or from the perspective of a historian.
By this point, it's going to be a totally different thing.

I would create new names for Amy and Rory if I were you, but I wouldn't fuss over it too much. You're just writing your first draft right now, you have plenty of time to change your mind later!
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 01:25 PM
Edited by schuhplattler (172013) on 2013-01-01 13:31:59 One more link
To write outside the box, you have to think outside the box.
www.worthyofpublishing.com . . .
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .
www.dance.net . . .

I firmly believe that it is possible to write something original.
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 09:48 PM
^ You think AWFULLY highly of yourself there, Milty.

Heart is right, it's all been done before, but that doesn't mean you can't make it your own. Just write. Write because you want to, because you need to. As you go, your characters and plot may take a surprising shift from where you started - you might start based loosely off of Dr. Who and you might end up somewhere completely different.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:16 PM
Sumayah, you have to submit what is familiar to you, and I expect others to do the same.

ReplySendWatch