Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Really just a curiousity... kids and antibiotics
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Fri Jan 18, 2013 03:54 PM
Trust your instincts and trust your doctor. Doctors get pressured to over prescribe antibiotics because moms throw a fit in the exam room. If she has been sick for more than a couple days just take her in and then trust the doctor. If you don't come in demanding antibiotics or you'll sue, you probably won't get unnecessary antibiotics. Maybe try a younger doctor because they are really recommending avoiding antibiotics in many cases in school now.

There is a such thing as going to the doctor too much and there is such a thing as going to the doctor too little.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Jan 18, 2013 04:15 PM
Yep I agree... I tend to air on the side of too little.

I hate waiting.
re: Really just a curiousity... kids and antibiotics (karma: 1)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 02:35 AM
I know she is still very young, but one thing you might want to consider is that your great dislike of doctors may make Teresa afraid of them. I hope that she doesn't get the impression that going to the doctor is a bad thing, scary thing, annoying thing, or something only weak "defeated" people do. I'm someone who has fear issues regarding doctors, dentists, etc. and this definitely set in as a child and effects my adult life a lot. Just something to take into consideration, you don't know what she is picking up from you. I have a friend who now at 24 refuses to go against her parents medical views (not religious) for fear of offending them (she lives with them) and won't take medication when she could use it for a variety of issues. This stuff does get ingrained. for better or for worse. It's just something to think about. There is no contest of whose kid went without antibiotics the longest or whose kid goes to the doctor the least. Do what you need to do to keep your daughter healthy and try to make sure she has positive experiences with medical personnel. I'm not a mom, but with my personal experiences and seeing the experiences of my friend, childhood medical experiences can effect a person for a very long time.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 04:12 AM
It's actually healthy to have regular checkups and appointments with your doctor. That's an important step in building a bond. Then when you really need a doctor, you have someone to call upon. Someone you trust who knows you and your medical history. Rather than just relying on whatever doctor is on call or at the minor emergency center.

kk~
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 01:21 AM
We do go for regular checkups... that's something I don't budge on. Family doctor wasn't in the day we went in so we just had to go with the on call doctor.

There is no fear of the doctor at all on either one of our parts. My Dr is amazing with her... and sadly partly retired. I think she likes going more than I do. We have had no issues with needles or anything (I don't mind them and I'm not going to lie to her and tell her they don't hurt.).

I'm afraid of the dentist and have taken her with me to make sure she is OK with it. She loves it... they give her stickers and a toothbrush.

And this reminds me I'm over due for my physical and need a tetanus booster.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 03:30 AM
Right after my post in this thread, my son came down with an awful fever. :? It went away within two days so they said I didn't need to bring him in. Yay! :] Then the fever came back two and a half days later! BOO! :C He is currently on antibiotics because they said a fever that comes back after over 2 days 'scares them to death'. :O
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch