Forum: Advice / Do It Yourself

Do It Yourself
Who do I call to put in a new kitchen counter??
By hyehokismember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2233, member since Tue Jul 30, 2002
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 08:44 PM

I am kind of lost here folks. You see we need to replace our whole kitchen counter as well as the sink counter and all that jazz. The problem is I do not know who to call. Really dont know if I should call a contractor or what?? AGH!

Po

5 Replies to Who do I call to put in a new kitchen counter??

re: Who do I call to put in a new kitchen counter??
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 09:11 PM
A local company that specializes in designing/building kitchens or a big box style home improvement store like Home Depot or Rona will be able to supply and install for you.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 09:32 PM
We had our whole kitchen done by a kitchen design place. As for counter tops, depends upon what you want in it. We did granite and the kitchen place had one of their subsidiaries to that.

If you plan on selling your house, don't do laminate. The mindset nowadays is so atuned to granite or other hard surfaces (stile stone, corian, marble etc.) that realtors will tell people a house is virtually unsellable if it has laminate counters unless it is the most basic starter home. Even tiles are hard to convince people to buy. Chalk that up to the power of marketing.

When we had the granite put in, the company we had had a laser measuring device which picked up all the points in our counter area, put those measurements on a laptop and the granite was cut with a computer controlled cutter. The result was perfection.

Before you go to a big box store (Lowe's Home Depot) check for references on YOUR LOCAL big box store. They usually use subcontractors, some good, some not so good. Some of the stores in this area are so poor that they often end up on ("Our TV station) on your side" reports.

If it is any material other than granite, etc. virtually any qualified home improvement contractor can do a kitchen installation including countertops.

Interview the contractor, ask for references and if you have a service such as Yelp or Angie's List, do a background check on them. Also check with the Better Business Bureau. Word of mouth references are still the best and several friends have used the places we recommended to them. Pay particular attention as to how long the job took and if the contractors showed up when they said they would and were on the job every day unless they have a good reason not to be there.

For our recent kitchen and a year later bathroom renovations, we interviewed at least 5 contractors for each one. We demanded precise and itemized bids with every unit detailed. We disqualified the people who said "This will run you about $40 grand" but give no specifics. If it is just the countertop it will be far less. Laminates are rather inexpensive, even our granite was about $3k...though the entire kitchen/dining room redo (with top of the line materials....Travertine marble floors, all new SS appliances etc. and some major prep work (moving and replacing a sliding glass door to our deck ran over $50,000. The two bathroom, a gut and replace and "start over" was about $12,000 for each bathroom. It could be a LOT less than that as we did not spare expenses.

Jon
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 635, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Jan 05, 2013 05:37 PM
Most home handy-man type people who have home repair/remodeling business's should be able to do this work easily. You may also want to chech out some local restaraunts, car washes or gas stations (seriously....) as some of these places have bullitin boards where they let folks place their business cards advertizing their work....you should be able to find a info on local handymen there.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Sat Jan 05, 2013 06:47 PM
Do you have friends, relatives or colleagues in your area who have had kitchen updates done in recent years? They should be able to recommend people they were happy with. If not then I would go with a big box store. It's been my experience and that of my clients (I'm a real estate agent) that Lowes seems to have better contractors than Home Depot, at least in my area.
By Laure Comments: 21, member since Mon Jan 28, 2013
On Sat Feb 09, 2013 03:10 AM
I'm sure Loews or Home Depot does counters

ReplySendWatch