Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
The rules of being a christian (karma: 1)
By Shhaan_Dmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1159, member since Wed Mar 03, 2004
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 04:21 AM

I always find it really interesting when people say to you - "no way youve become a christian that means you can't drink"

I decided to give my life to god in October 2012 at 19 years old.
I recieved a calling from god to give my talents to the church and join their worship team.
Things have moved up and up from their. its just amazing.

One of my major major sturggles was the rules of being a christian.

So I would like to find out

What are your rules - or what do you think the rules of christianity are :)

Thanks

Shannon

14 Replies to The rules of being a christian

re: The rules of being a christian
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 04:39 AM
The best "guide to being a Christian" you'll ever get is studying the teachings of Jesus and His Apostles. Find yourself a good study bible and crack into the new testament. I really love the beatitudes as well, you might try there.

I'd also suggest looking at notreligion.com... It might give you some answers.
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1076, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 04:39 AM
I think that having 'rules' that you have to follow in order to be a Christian is very legalistic (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) and should be decided by each individual for themselves. I don't think there are things that you can do or not do that make you a Christian. You follow God, believe that Jesus died for your sins, accept his gift of forgiveness and that makes you a Christian. Often, realizing how much God loves us by sending Jesus will make people want to change their ways if they are doing anything that is hurting themselves or others, including things like excessive drinking or whatever else people think makes you Christian or not. Being a Christian isn't determined by your behavior, being a Christian changes your behavior.

Anyways. That's my long-winded answer. I don't believe that there are really 'rules' for being a Christian. Just my opinion, and what I've been taught for most of my life.
By Shhaan_Dmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1159, member since Wed Mar 03, 2004
On Mon Jan 07, 2013 04:49 AM
totally agree

For me I too alot of my info from matthew about loving the lord your god with all your heart, mind and strength. one of my favourite verses.

thanks for your input
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:04 PM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2013-01-06 22:06:03
I don't think there are any rules, but there are things that I don't do because I know they're not God's best for my life.

I think that people telling you that there are certain rules you need to follow in order to be a Christian takes away from the work done on the cross. Christ died so that we wouldn't have to be bound by rules.

There is stuff that I think we should or shouldn't do because it's not going to give us our best life. But I dont think you need to be given a list of dos and donts according to what someone else thinks is best for your life. I think that as you read more of the Bible, you'll start to understand more of what God wants for your life, and you'll naturally start wanting to do only those things.
By RileyA Comments: 3120, member since Tue Jan 03, 2006
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 AM
There is only 1 rule in Christianity. Beleive that The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour and died for our sins on the cross. That's it, no more rules, no ,ore expectations, nothing more you can do to secure a spot in heaven.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 PM
I'm Russian Orthodox and I don't follow the church's teachings. Instead I follow the virtues I've been gifted with and make them the rules of being a Christian. However, people tend to label me as a 'buddhist' in the way I see things, but whatever. :P

God says he will accept us as who we are. Jesus freed us from original sin.

So I don't believe that everyone is born with sin. I believe in the freedom that God gave us. He gifted us with freewill and he has given us our own power to use it - be it for good or bad. He gave us a conscience to think of right and wrong doings.

I think the only rule of being a Christian is to just enjoy the beautiful world we have been given. We shouldn't hate each other or feel prejudiced, that's not why God gave us the gift of life. If no one felt anger, rage, greed and pride, then the world would be different. There would be no wars, everyone would love and respect and each other and I think this is what God wanted for us. For us to experience the beauty of his creation. But since we were given freewill by his kindness we sadly exploit it. And even religious leaders do too and then distort God's words and wishes for all living things.

I think we as Christians need to follow in Jesus' example. We show kindness to all the outcasts - the sick, the weak, the disabled, the disadvantaged, the poor, the prostitutes - because by pure luck we have been lucky not to be them and I do believe we are here, like Jesus, to help those that need help and not kick them in the dirt.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 02:27 PM
To me, the most important rules are to extend the gift of His love and forgiveness to others. And don't judge others. Follow your heart and the rest becomes clearer. To quote Jiminy Cricket - "Let your conscience be your guide."

kk~
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Thu Jan 17, 2013 07:55 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-01-17 09:25:44 one more thought
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-01-17 09:26:25 oops
Over two thousand years ago, Jesus was asked the same question regarding "the law". People questioned him about what they needed "to do to enter the kingdom of heaven". Jewish law was cumbersome, lengthy, and often contradictory. Even with the Ten Commandments as a short list, Jesus said this...

"Love God with your whole heart, and Love your neighbor (or brother, or all humans, depending on the translation)as you love yourself".

Jesus was not a Christian. Before Jesus died he reminded his disciples, "Love one another as I have loved you." This is the whole mission of Christians, followers of Jesus. Love.

If you always ask yourself, What would Jesus do?, and follow the two greatest commandments...the commandments of love, you will be just fine.

Cheers...

Keep On Dancing*

ps... As far as drinking....Jesus performed his first miracle at the wedding at Cana, where he changed water into wine. Although the 5th Commandment forbids drunkenness, is doesn't command abstinence. Just sayin..

Keep On Dancing*
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 08:37 PM
RileyA, I hope you did not mean that accepting a savior is the be-all and end-all of Christianity. If that were true, then the Western World would have been one perpetual Spanish Inquisition ever since the fall of Rome.

Keep in mind that the early Christians had to reach the Romans, who were convinced that nobody could take responsibility for anything. For a Roman, it was not only a definite improvement to hold someone else totally responsible for one’s own condition – it was about as high as a Roman could reach.

I doubt that accepting a savior was meant to be any more than the entry level, despite what I have heard from many a blood-and-thunder preacher.
re: The rules of being a christian (karma: 1)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Sat Jan 19, 2013 09:03 PM
Christine wrote:

Over two thousand years ago, Jesus was asked the same question regarding "the law". People questioned him about what they needed "to do to enter the kingdom of heaven". Jewish law was cumbersome, lengthy, and often contradictory. Even with the Ten Commandments as a short list, Jesus said this...

"Love God with your whole heart, and Love your neighbor (or brother, or all humans, depending on the translation)as you love yourself".

Jesus was not a Christian. Before Jesus died he reminded his disciples, "Love one another as I have loved you." This is the whole mission of Christians, followers of Jesus. Love.

If you always ask yourself, What would Jesus do?, and follow the two greatest commandments...the commandments of love, you will be just fine.

Cheers...

Schu, there's the missing piece of your puzzle. We're called to accept Christ, but in that comes the acceptance of all that He taught as well.
re: The rules of being a christian (karma: 1)
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 01:29 AM
Edited by toroandbruin (202876) on 2013-01-20 01:55:55
People define "Being a Christian" in very different ways. In the broadest definition, "Christians" are people who find the teachings of Jesus useful and try to follow them. And this can be in conjunction with following the similar teachings of Buddha and other leaders. But some groups would not accept this definition at all.

I suggest sitting down, actually READING the New Testament, and making notes for yourself on what it means in light of what makes the most sense for you, deep down inside. Then find a religious group which is reasonably in sync with your point of view.

Someone whose genetics included a predisposition toward alcoholism and who felt from early experiences that they might easily follow down that path, could decide that avoiding alcohol made sense for them, personally. On the other hand, someone who had, lets say, a problem with keeping their temper, would focus on the advice in the Bible which kept that problem in check. Another example: someone who did not have the self-confidence to assert themselves when necessary would find encouragement in that area.

Different people interpret what is in the Bible differently. Including experts. You can read. You are intelligent enough. Read. Think. And make up your own mind.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 01:29 PM
Edited by miraclefrmheavn (197101) on 2013-01-20 13:32:18
Congratulations on giving your life to the Lord God! I am so happy to read this news.

Follow the Holy Bible and God's rules. Remember to serve only one God. Don't fall prey to the 'worldly' views. Learning to separate yourself from the 'worldly' ways is hard, but it is doable.

Something to also consider is to also stay away from any person that makes you feel like your viewpoints are wrong. You don't need 'toxic' friends.

Stormie Omartian and Derek Prince are great Christian authors that I find very inspirational and very encouraging to read their works.

Congratulations again! God Bless You!

Prayer is the most important way to keep your connection close to God. He wants his people to communicate with him, not just in bad times but also good times as well. Never, ever, ever lose faith neither. Faith is very important in a Christian's life.

One thing to also remember is that Satan comes after God's people more than the people of the world. In those times, we must be stronger than ever in the Lord God communicating with him always.

Many blessings to you on your new life living for God!
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Tue Jan 22, 2013 02:19 AM
miraclefrmheavn wrote:

Something to also consider is to also stay away from any person that makes you feel like your viewpoints are wrong. You don't need 'toxic' friends.

I know there are a lot of varying viewpoints but I do disagree with this one, as the second great commandment was to love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus hung out with a LOT of people who thought his viewpoints were wrong. Just wanted to throw that in there :P

I think the "rules" such as they are, come from the fact that you do love God and therefore want to live your life in the way he says--basically what CompactDisco said. Jesus died so that we aren't bound by rules per se, but because he made such a great sacrifice, we want to live in a way that honors him and therefore there is a certain way that we should want to be.

So yes, there are expectations, not because following them will get us into heaven or make God love us more, but because we love him and WANT to live in the way he wants us to. And the best way to find out those, as others have said, are to read the Bible, especially the parts about Jesus' life.

Hope that helps :)
On Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 PM
Your replies are all very true and we all have very different opinions which is amazing :)

Thank You all. Thank you for your encouragement - this has certainly been one of the most amazing years since starting church!

Shannon

ReplySendWatch