Forum: General / Travel

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Travel
If you could live anywhere in America for one year... (karma: 2)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 01:50 PM

If you could live anywhere in America (USA) for one year, where would you live?

You would have to live the entire year in one location (city/town/village) but you would have weekends and holiday periods throughout the year to visit other places.

Show your work! (ie share a rationale)

31 Replies to If you could live anywhere in America for one year...

re: If you could live anywhere in America for one year... (karma: 1)
By balletomane0606 Comments: 175, member since Mon Dec 03, 2012
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:00 PM
I'd want to live in New York. It's a diverse, multilingual, multicultural city that is dynamic in its own right. I've never been there (it's 18 hours by plane) and I'd like to go to such a city before I start to pay for my own flights. I'd want to move around, to experience a bit of such an amazing political and cultural city.
Balletomane0606
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6776, member since Fri Oct 07, 2005
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:06 PM
I already live in the U.S., but if I could live anywhere for a year, I'd be torn between where I live now, and San Diego, CA. I can't be too far from an ocean and be happy, so I would stick to a coast. I currenty live on the east coast, in the nations capital, and here's why I love it:
-There are tons of small states on the east coast, each with their own flavor. 6 hours drive north is a totally different type of food, people, architecture than where I live, and same goes if you drive south. I love the variety. If you get sick of where you are, it's not that far to get somewhere pretty different.
-There are lots of national parks and amusement parks. I like to be entertained.
-I live near a town with lots of free access to arts, history and culture.
-Disney World is a 12 hour or so drive. Yes, this matters to me.

But I LOVE the west coast, and here's why:
-The weather. Oh my god the weather.
-did I mention the weather? :D
-California is a state with lots of variety too. When I lived there the joke was that Northern California and Southern California should be different states.
-There are lots of amusement parks there too.
-The oceannnnn.
-Nice, happy people.
-My cons here are that it takes longer to get somewhere different (can you tell how flighty I am?) but Nevada and Arizona aren't TOO far, and oh my gosh the deserts and rock formations driving through those states are impressive!
re: If you could live anywhere in America for one year...
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:12 PM
^ Great answer...and just to add, this question is absolutely open to current or former US residents as well. Anyone can answer!
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:57 PM
Hawaii. I love the culture and I always wanted to live on an island. I love fresh flowers, wearing flip flops, ocean breezes, wicker furniture! My brother used to say I should have been born in a thatched hut.

Then, I finally got the opportunity to go to Hawaii on vacation and I instantly fell in love! All it took was the glorious scent as soon as I stepped off the airplane. And every moment I was there was wonderful! My family, who I am very close to, is the only reason I don't actually move there.

The only downside to this one year scenario is that I would be heartbroken to leave at the end of the year.

kk~
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 08:03 AM
Edited by Odessa (22571) on 2013-01-14 08:05:29 WHY CAN'T I MARKUP?
Edited by Odessa (22571) on 2013-01-14 08:05:54 NO BUT WHY
Chicago, or San Francisco. Somewhere in the inner suburbs of both. They both seem like interesting, cosmopolitan cities, with a very distinct culture that is immediately recognisable. I like cities that have a strong identity.

Rationale
San Francisco: ease of access to the rest of California and Hawaii, as well as places like Las Vegas. Plus, I have heard from people I know who have been there, that it's a lot like Melbourne, the city I live in - interesting people, rich arts culture, similar climate, and it always seems to have something interesting happening.

Chicago:

Plus they both seem like fairly politically progressive cities to me, which is important for a rabble-rouser like myself.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:50 PM
That's a real tough question.

I haven't really got a place in mind but it should be somewhere with interesting weather - hot summers, cold winters, brilliant autumns etc.

I'm not a fan of huge cities or big towns so a smaller town, where I would know my neighbours and the community and be able to bring children up in a safe loving environment.

I would want to stay away from the 'tourist' places and find the hidden treasures of the US.

If all else fails I would be a gypsy - then I could just travel around.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 03:54 PM
I second Kandy Kane- as long as this year didn't involve work, but did involve having the money to do what you wanted, I would live in Hawaii for a year.

Of course, if it involved no work and lots of money, I would also live up in the Colorado Rocky Montains, or somewhere on the west coast. I love scenery, and the chance to lounge or be active in beautiful places.

If I had to work, I'd find the place that paid the highest salary for what I do, and would live very frugally, in the hopes of leaving at the end of the year with the money to go be lazy for a while.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7177, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 04:16 PM
If jobs are not necessary I think I would go with either Hawaii or San Diego. I've never been to San Diego but I've heard great things about it and still being on the main land would allow me to visit more of the West Coast. But Hawaii is awesome. I love Maui and living there for a year with perfect weather and a nice relaxing year would be awesome! If I had to work, I'd probably pick another city (I currently live in DC) for the different opportunities to work and meet people and stuff. So if that's the case, maybe Boston since most of my friends from college live around there, though I think a year in NYC would be awesome too (I'm from north of the city, though possibly overwhelming.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 04:43 PM
Assuming I had the salary to live similarly to how I'm living now, Seattle or Portland. I'v never lived on the West Coast & I think that could be fun. Plus, if it's only a year, I can always move back to where I'm comfortable.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 09:54 AM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2013-01-14 11:41:09
I might just choose to stay right where I am; just outside Boston. I absolutely have to live near the sea. I can't imagine not being able to get to the beach within an hour. I'd feel claustrophobic if I couldn't. Boston's got tons of cultural attractions, lots of museums, etc. We can be on Cape Cod in 45 minutes, in Boston in 45 minutes, in Maine in 90 minutes, in the mountains of New Hampshire in a couple of hours. If I want to visit New York City, I can hop on the train.

If not Boston, I'd opt for Washington, DC. We lived there for many years and loved it. The city has so much to offer. It would take months to see all the Smithsonian museums alone, and it's all free! Then there are so many other museums, the monuments, a vibrant art community, good venues for live music, a great public transportation system, various neighborhoods that are fun to explore.

Hawaii sounds amazing, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't judge. I love San Diego, but it gets way too hot for me. I'm visiting San Francisco for the first time in just over 2 weeks, so maybe I'll change my mind.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 05:16 PM
I love where I live (Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas), but I would love to experience a year in the Northeast. I could see myself temporarily living up North, but I do love Texas and couldn't see myself permanently moving away.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 05:38 PM
Seattle. I've visited there twice during the winter and I loved it. So doubtlessly I would love the pretty spring and mild summer and autumn. I'd live there definitely.
By buckeye2 Comments: 3679, member since Sat Jan 01, 2005
On Mon Jan 14, 2013 06:53 PM

Breckenridge, Colorado.

Although, if given the chance to stay for a year, I may never come home.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:43 AM
Vegas, baby!

I've got a soft spot in my heart for big cities, and they don't come a whole lot bigger than Vegas.

I don't like hiking and biking and outdoors-y activities like that, and while that stuff is available in Vegas, you have to clear through alot of city to get to it.

And I hate wanting for things to do, and if you are in Vegas and wanting for something to do, you're just not trying that hard. :D Whatever your budget, there's something, somewhere for you to do.

And for those reasons...Vegas, baby!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 01:45 AM
Teluiride, CO. My two college roommates/best friends moved out there after graduating so my rationale is partially because I would love to be reunited with them but the second part is that it just looks absolutely beautiful.

This is the view from one of my friend's job -

Image hotlink - 'https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/481644_2783155734302_220469101_n.jpg'

Only downside is I'm finding it rough being 4.5 hours away from a beach and CO is obviously no where near a beach. So my backup would be the islands right near Savannah, Ga. It's way way close to Savannah which has a million perks because Savannah is beautiful and you've got quite a few islands and beaches to travel to that are close as well. Best of both worlds.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 03:25 AM
^ I do love Tybee Island. Such a fun, laid back little place!

Heck, I'd be happy living on any island, I'm just a wanna-be island girl!

kk~
re: If you could live anywhere in America for one year... (karma: 2)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 04:25 AM
I do like living in Washington DC area. Few people actually live in Washington DC itself....population 550K, but between 6-8 million people live in the Metro area which is divided between two states, Maryland and Virginia. Though upon my retirement, I could have moved anywhere, I choose to stay here. I came here right after college. We do have four seasons though winters are usually pretty mild. July and August can be wretchedly hot, but we live in air-conditioning, work in a/c and drive in a/c. (Before A/C, Washington was considered "hazardous duty" for British diplomats, LOL) There is a lot to do and wide terrain variety is nearby...ocean beaches to the East and East Coast mountains to the west (admittedly not like the Rockies or West Coast Mountains. The bad news, we have an area with 535 inflated egos we call Congress.

I would be generally loath to return to my native area in Wisconsin, but if I did it would be to my college town, Madison, Wisconsin. Madison is the state capital, has very little industry except for the university and state government. I big enough to be interesting (about a quarter million) and the university, one of the bigger ones in the country, brings a lot of culture. Madison has one big disadvantage...winter!

I've only spent a little time in Seattle, but that area seemed nice. I've also spent a lot of time in Florida, but I don't think I'd care to live there. I've worked in Miami and Key West and I own a time share in Orlando, but only for the visits with my late mom. Now that she is gone, I'm not sure how often I'll go there. If I had a lot of money, I'd like to live for a while in Manhattan, but not sure I'd really care for other parts on NYC.

Jon
re: If you could live anywhere in America for one year... (karma: 2)
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 04:41 AM

Lake Tahoe in California.

I've already lived in the three major cities I've wanted to live in - New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. I know I could never do another east coast winter. Ever. I almost froze to death walking to the laundromat. That nixes out places like Chicago, too, where it is equally nasty in the dead of winter.

I could do Lake Tahoe, though, where it is currently 7 degree, because it's only an hour and a half to Sacramento and 3 hours to San Francisco, so escaping the cold when it becomes unbearable would be SO easy. I would love Tahoe for a year because a) it's stunningly gorgeous b) it has some of the best skiing in the world (Squaw Valley Olympics, anyone?), it has some of the best summer/water activities in the world, and the people up there are outdoorsey, friendly, worldly, liberal tree huggers. O, and the lake side restaurants are PHENOMENAL. And I want to learn to ski again now that I'm not dancing competitively anymore :)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 05:03 AM
This is a really tough question. America is a really big place and every area has it's own up side and unfortunately, down side, too.

Before we had children, my husband and I spent quite a bit of time traveling "the 48" with his trucking business. When our oldest started college, she went to Hawaii for a year and we visited three times, extended visits, not exactly tourists, but not exactly "locals" either. Believe it or not, a year in Hawaii would be a long year for me, although...if it's only a year... After about 3 months you've kind of seen it all and done it all. The beaches are lovely, but honestly, the Atlantic Coast beaches are much, much nicer, although not for 12 months a year as they are in Hawaii.

My immediate answer to this was, New York, New York...a town so nice they named it twice. If money was no object, it has everything I love. Theatre, music, restaurants, shopping, culture, history, museums, universities,and dance, dance, dance, and all within a reasonable distance. However, even with a ton of money (and who has a ton of money?)it can be a difficult place to feel at home in, and I WAS BORN THERE, and know my way around very well. It changes all the time, and frankly, can be exhausting. I also hate to say this, but often...not always...people are rude. Maybe abrupt, or disinterested or preoccupied, are better words, but I know people who have lived in the same neighborhood for 25 years and don't know their neighbors names. However, when disaster strikes, New Yorkers can be counted on to help each other. September 11, 2001 was a perfect example of this.

My sister lives right outside Boston and her husband grew up there. He loves it, she is getting used to it. He is a minor celebrity in the area but even her neighbors, who treat him like a Prince, are kind of clannish and epitomize the "Cold Yankee" in many ways. Her kids go to school there, but I don't think she feels like she'll ever be one of the trusted insiders. She went to college in NYC, so I don't think her expectations are unreasonable. Then again, the town she lives in does have a reputation for this attitude. She is such a kind, sweet person, it's kind of sad to see her so adrift. Her kids play sports, she volunteers at the school and bakes for the neighbors, she and her husband are extremely generous in many ways, but after 4 years...well...she still misses New York. Then again, she is a NY Yankees fan, which automatically makes her the enemy in Red Sox country.

I loved New Orleans, I like Atlanta and Charleston, much as I wish it was otherwise, I don't think I could live anywhere in Texas except perhaps Austin, although I must say, some of the nicest people I've know are Texans, so go figure. I don't know how these wonderful people survive the politics.

So...if I HAD to choose, and it had to be for a whole year, but only one year, I think I'd choose a dart board, throw the dart, and take an adventure. Even if it hit on Texas, I'm sure I could be happy and have a great time. I know this sounds very sappy and corny, but... I LOVE THIS COUNTRY! Everywhere you go, you can find nice people, beautiful places, and (usually)good food. Diversity is the rule, not the exception, and the excellent interstate highway system makes it possible to go virtually anywhere in just a few days. There are very few places you can't get to by air in half a day...including Hawaii (although the 11 hour plane ride isn't my favorite) Americans tend to be welcoming and generous and there is an almost childlike openness to the unknown. I've never seen a person in need ignored for very long, and when I've visited places where people turn a blind eye to the poor I actually find it confusing.

So.... many, many, words later...I guess I have no real answer and can offer no help to anyone, except to say, should any of you wish to visit Pennsylvania, I'll be happy to welcome you into my home, feed you well, dance with you at my studio, ski with you in the winter and pick blueberries in the summer, visit NYC on the weekends, and show you a good time. But only for one year. There are limits!

Keep On Dancing*
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 04:56 PM
I love how several of you want to move here to Colorado! While I don't live in the mountains, I can get to the beautiful scenery pretty quickly (Vail 1.5 hours without traffic).

I love my home state :)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6815, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 05:09 PM
^Kind of a hijack, but I have to ask...

Colorado has been in the national news almost daily since the week before election day in November. For those who don't know, Colorado was the first state to legalize marijuana for recreational use. Other states have medical marijuana legislation, most of it a hoax (but no one asked me) but Colorado, true to it's reputation for "Where the rubber meets the road" honesty and good sense, has seemingly worked out the bumps and made the wise decision to stop wasting law enforcement resources and tax payer money on prosecution and instead found a very lucrative cash cow, taxation wise.

How is is working out for the citizens of the state? We only hear the sound bits on the national news which isn't real, in my estimation. The travel companies that used to specialize in "420 Tours" to Amsterdam or Jamaica seem to be hinting that the off season at ski resorts will be the new gathering places for the "In Crowd".

Your experience?

Keep On Dancing*
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3559, member since Wed Jul 28, 2004
On Tue Jan 15, 2013 08:42 PM
Such a tricky question! I love the US, though I've only visited five states. I've been to New York (not the city), Michigan, Virginia, Illinois, and Ohio. I really loved Virginia, the people were extremely friendly, I loved the accents, there are trees everywhere it's so beautiful.

I definitely would want to live in the south; I'm a sucker for a gentleman with a southern accent. I like the idea of Kentucky, Tennesse, Louisiana, or Mississipi maybe. I just imagine sitting on the front porch, sipping lemonade, and watching life roll by or going fishing down by the creek. It's definitely a different lifestyle than here in Canada.

I'm also a small town girl, not technically because I live in a city, but I'd take a rural small town over the city any day.

Something that is so wonderful about the USA is that it has so much to offer! You can go to the east and it's completely different from the south, or you can go west and it's a total new scene from the north. I love it! I'd move to the states in a heart beat if I had the chance.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 AM
I'd go live in Honey Boo Boos backyard, surely it would provide endless entertainment. Of course I'd have a trailer there, right by the train tracks, so it would allow me to getaway for a few days here and there by hopping into train cars.

Just kidding... I would prob say somewhere in the Smokey mountains. I did a few vacations there and really liked it. Lots to do either nature walks, horseback riding, or just cheezy amusements. Plus it's not a horribly long trip from home.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Wed Jan 16, 2013 03:18 AM
This is such a hard question. I've been dreaming of visiting America for the past year, and I want to go everywhere!

For the purpose of this hypothetical, I'd choose Montana or Louisiana.

I've lived my adult live in big diverse cities; Sydney and Perth. I know what its like to live in a high density urban area with lots to do and lots of diversity. Its great, but if I had a chance to live somewhere else for a year, I'd want it to be a totally different experience to what I've already had.

Montana just looks breathtakingly beautiful, especially the edge of Missoula. I follow several Montana based blogs and the pictures always take my breath away. There seems to be a very artistic spirit as well. Also: SNOW! I have never seen snow in my life. I prefer colder climates and could easily go for a longer winter. I like the idea of living on a property for a year, trying my hand at growing my own produce, shopping at farmers markets etc.

I think I'm going to have a harder time explain Louisiana as a choice. I just have a morbid fascination with the American South. The accents, the food, the bayous, the music, the rather sordid history. I have heard that it can be a bit racist and redneck so I'm not even sure I could survive a year in a place like that, but something in me wants to learn as much as I can about a place with such a definite culture.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch