Forum: General / Travel

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: If you could live anywhere in America for one year... (karma: 1)
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Wed Jan 16, 2013 04:16 AM
Christine wrote:

How is is working out for the citizens of the state? We only hear the sound bits on the national news which isn't real, in my estimation. The travel companies that used to specialize in "420 Tours" to Amsterdam or Jamaica seem to be hinting that the off season at ski resorts will be the new gathering places for the "In Crowd".
So far so good. Colorado already has medical marijuana dispensaries in place and a new industry with horticulturists who are working at controlling various qualities. The state already has a broad laws against driving while "impaired" and of course they are now scrambling to define what level of chemical in the blood constitutes "impaired" when it comes to THC. I'm sure that the testing-kit people are working hard to manufacture something for all the municipalities' patrol cars.

If you were blithering about inanely shortly before getting into an accident I don't think the law cares whether it was because of alcohol, pot, or a strong prescription for your congested sinuses.

The state still has to decide whether the law means you have to be a resident of the state for it to apply to you or whether anybody simply IN the state falls under the law. It will probably be the latter since the former would be a nightmare to try to enforce. So when it comes to the tourist industry it may be one of the enhancements for not just the off-season but the on-season, too.

And I just read an article in my newspaper saying that the state may enjoy a new agricultural industry in hemp. It's a very useful plant providing fiber for rope and nutrition in its seeds. But since the plant is a form of cannabis it has run afoul of anti-pot laws and the hemp-rope industry has gone to other countries.

I don't know if the medical law has yet changed the number of people who decide to retire to Colorado but if I eventually am faced with dying slowly from something painful I'm glad I'm in this state.

And, on the subject of "living anywhere in America for one year"
If you need to find hospice services -- consider Colorado!
re: If you could live anywhere in America for one year...
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Wed Jan 23, 2013 09:49 PM
I would love to live somewhere on the west coast. I visited California and Oregon this summer and loved both. I have lived in the Washington, DC area all my life and the west coast was very different, and I loved it.

Maybe Portland or San Francisco? I was there for a day or so in each, but I feel like there was so much more to see. I also absolutely loved Monterey.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Thu Jan 24, 2013 04:52 AM
I haven't been there yet, but I'm loving the idea of New Orleans. Nice weather, culture, close to family.

I would LOVE to do a year up in Portland, Maine. I'd love to live the smaller city, northeastern lifestyle for a year.

I think San Francisco would be really fun. Lots of culture. Ditto New York City.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8600, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Thu Jan 24, 2013 04:57 AM
I'd go back to Louisiana and live in a suburb of New Orleans. Probably Metairie or Kenner. Maybe Mandeville.

If Denver wasnt so dang cold, it would be a close second.
By cthompson1474member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 306, member since Sat May 19, 2012
On Thu Jan 24, 2013 05:26 AM
Hawaii. I love the beach, warm waters, and nature.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 AM
So for anyone else, the issue would be whether you like the mountains, the beach, the city, the desert, or (yes, some actually do) the flat farmland.

For me it would be the mountains, but I would not give up the city altogether. Aspen has plenty besides skiing. Many of the residents are well into the arts. The place has culture, including a host of summer workshops. The residents are well into the arts.
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2092, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Mon Feb 18, 2013 09:55 AM
New Orleans! It's by far my favourite American city. I love the culture, the people, the cuisine, the vibe it gives off, etc. etc.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch