Forum: Advice / Stretching

8 months with no dance - am I a lost cause?
By live2lovedance
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 02:23 AM

I have been a competitive dancer pretty much my whole life, up to the end of high school I was on my competitive dance team, school dance team, cheerleading team, school dance performance team, and was the core dancer in all my school's musicals. I was often dance 6 days a week, even had 10 ours of dance a day during performance season. I would stretch nearly ever day for over an hour at home as well.
Now beginning of June 2012 when I finished high school I stopped dancing all together, I threw all my time into earning money for university and became out of "dance shape". Now a performance opportunity has come my way, with auditions at the end of March - do I even have a chance? I stretched for the first time in 8 months the other night, my beautiful over-splits are now BARELY basic splits, I have lost so much strength my kicks barely come of the floor, it was so discouraging.
I am willing to put in however much time a day it takes, but I need to know if it is even worth it? I feel so discouraged! I'm not expecting to be where I was at my peak in just two months, but will I see enough improvement by then? Any one have any advice as to what steps I should take?

6 Replies to 8 months with no dance - am I a lost cause?

re: 8 months with no dance - am I a lost cause?
By hummingbird
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 03:49 AM
First of all you need some lessons, there's nothing like a room of other people to kick our butts and make us work harder. Then you need to ask your teacher what you should be working on at home when you practice.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 05:57 AM
live2lovedance wrote:

Now a performance opportunity has come my way, with auditions at the end of March - do I even have a chance?...I am willing to put in however much time a day it takes, but I need to know if it is even worth it?...will I see enough improvement by then?
I agree with Hummingbird that you need to get back into class with a good teacher who can advise you on what to do every day to train best. Since you are young you will make great strides if you go back into training even for two months.

Will it be enough? That's impossible to say without knowing what you are auditioning for and what your competition will be. If they are looking for someone with the qualities of a major ballet company soloist, minimum, then even if you get back to where you were at your best you won't make it. Sorry. But if it is a musical comedy where they are looking for a good level of proficiency plus a certain "type", then you may have a chance. Of course even if you're the best dancer there you may be too tall, too short, too skinny, too chunky, too young, too whatever. But if you aren't the best but you are competent and the tallest and that's what they're looking for, then you have a chance.

So I say go for it! It sounds like a worthwhile project, regardless.
By balletomane0606
On Sun Jan 20, 2013 01:34 AM
Edited by balletomane0606 (255383) on 2013-01-20 01:37:09
live2lovedance wrote:

I am willing to put in however much time a day it takes, but I need to know if it is even worth it? I feel so discouraged! I'm not expecting to be where I was at my peak in just two months, but will I see enough improvement by then? Any one have any advice as to what steps I should take?

You are never a lost cause, because you're never going to give up. You can't say that, because you love dancing...right? All you need is a bit of encouragement. You can do it -you said so yourself. If you are willing to work everyday, you should manage to build up a reasonably good profile. This is only one performance opportunity out of a hundred more to come- returning to dance is not about doing well for the competition. It seems to me that this is the personification of your desires. Yes, go for it! Go back to dancing. Go back to stretching. Go back to competitions. But most importantly, go back to your love for dancing.

Go back to class, as Hummingbird said. Swallow the pride. Also, try and watch some inspiring dancing- YouTube, video, TV, theatre...whatever. Maybe have a friendly 'competition' with an aspiring buddy. Whatever motivation helps.
By Izzyballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 02, 2013 02:43 PM
Just take it slowly and work everyday! You might not get back to the level that you were before, but I'm sure that you can become at least decent again!
By teenydanseur
On Sat Feb 02, 2013 03:36 PM
You are so young! It can definitely be done! So much of ballet is muscle memory and your body has performed at that level before consistently, you just need to remind it using vigorous (but appropriate to your current strength/flexibility) work outs. You were gone 8 months, remember that dancers often have to miss more than that amount of time due to an injury or birth of a child and are able to bounce back. Two months is not a huge amount of time, but just go dance classes, get your endurance up by doing some kind of cardio, yoga for added strength and stretching, and you should be in a decent amount of shape by the end of march. Remember that your body was probably in tip top shape when you stopped dancing and 8 months really isn't enough time to undo all of that (even if it feels that way sometimes)

Keep us updated!
By Laure
On Mon Feb 04, 2013 02:19 AM
No your not just stretch and practice a lot search tips on google to get over splits just do the stretches you used to do :)

ReplySendWatch