Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
Bikram Yoga
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Mon Jan 21, 2013 03:06 AM

Has anyone done Bikram Yoga before?

A studio opened up near my place about 6 months ago, and it's fairly reasonably priced and I'm considering giving it a go!

Anything I should know in advance etc? I'm a bit concerned, I have kidney issues so I tend to dehydrate easier than others, but I'm really good at keeping up my water etc...

I'm really hoping to get back my flexibility and energy!

7 Replies to Bikram Yoga

re: Bikram Yoga
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Jan 21, 2013 03:58 AM
it's 105' F. The first time I went I got quite dizzy and had to stop several times. I love it, though. Bring plenty of water and drink it before class starts too. Use a towel over your mat or else you will be slipping all over the place. Every class is exactly the same. First half is a standing series, second half is on the floor. I prefer the second half ;)
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1321, member since Mon Apr 14, 2008
On Mon Jan 21, 2013 04:36 AM
I love it, too. Definitely bring a towel to go over your mat and make sure you're well hydrated before you go. Bring water, of course. Make sure you don't eat for 2 - 3 hours before but have something small to have as a snack after you get out. If you feel lightheaded, it's perfectly acceptable to sit or lay down until you feel well enough to join back in. There's an acclimation period of about 2 or 3 classes for most people just beginning.

I found it to be very fun and relaxing and am currently trying to find a way to fit it back into my schedule.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Mon Jan 21, 2013 09:17 AM
I did it a couple of weeks ago with Tim. I think I managed the first 15 minutes of postures and then had to lie down for the next half an hour before joining back in at the end. Tim really went for it, pretty gung ho, and ended up having to leave the room as he felt so sick.

So, my advice in handy bulleted format:

- Take three or four towels. One huge one to lay over your mat, a hand towel to wipe yourself down while you're in there, and then one or two for your shower afterwards.

- They tell you to try and stay in the room for the full session. If you feel sick or dizzy, stop, but lie down rather than sitting down and use your towels to elevate your legs if possible.

- Don't try to go full out. Take it easy especially at the start because you don't know how well you'll hold up for the full session.

- Stop any time you need to.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 AM
I'm not a fan.

I've tried it twice and i wanted to like it since its the hottest new thing (pun intended) and studios are popping up everywhere. The first time I threw up so much, The second time I fainted. Both times I left before the class was over and my skin would not stop itching and prickling for about an hour afterwards. My body was sending very clear signals that it wasn't for me, and I'm not an unfit person.

I don't see the appeal, especially in Australia where you can exercise in the heat and humidity for free anytime :P Scientifically, I don't think there is much benefit in it. Extreme heat does put extra stress on the body . The idea that the body detoxes through sweat isn't necessarily true, sweats primary function is to cool your body down.

Try it if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you have trouble staying hydrated. Sounds like a recipe for misery.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:13 PM
It's not just staying hydrated that day...if you haven't hydrated well for the 48 hours before you will have problems since you dehydrate quickly.

I don't like Bikram. I go to yoga for the spiritual connection, practicing breath work, doing different poses each week, opening up new areas. Bikram runs the same way each week and doesn't focus on the spiritual side as much as my other classes. I go to yoga to be more relaxed, and at peace with the world and not so much for the workout. I go to the gym to sweat and workout, so for me it wasn't a good fit.

Let us know how you like it. There are lots of good aspects about it too.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 PM
I had an appointment with my GP today, and mentioned it to her...and she told me until I'm feeling better, to steer clear. I'll take her advice especially as I spent most of yesterday in bed with a killer migraine because it was hot. Haha, thanks for the advice.
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 01:07 AM
It might be possible to do warm yoga instead. There are some places around me that have yoga classes 15-20 degrees cooler than the Bikram yoga classes. My cousins do it and they love it, but I'm not interested in trying it. I'd rather take a normal class (personal preference).

ReplySendWatch