Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Guns allowed in college
By Dances4LifePremium member Comments: 849, member since Thu Sep 22, 2011
On Wed Jan 23, 2013 02:57 PM
re: Guns allowed in college (karma: 1)
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Wed Jan 23, 2013 08:30 AM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2013-01-23 08:33:29
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2013-01-23 09:15:39
Dances4Life wrote:

Certain places do fine with no guns. However, they are illegal in Washington DC which has one of the highest gun crime rates per capita in the USA.

The sources you cite do not seem to prove your point.
Dances4Life wrote:

www.statemaster.com . . .

These statistics are from 2002, so they are 13 years old. Please re-read Chaconne's post re the decreasing DC crime rate.
Dances4Life wrote:

en.wikipedia.org . . ..

I followed your link and it says, "Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name."
Dances4Life wrote:

theacru.org . . .

There are no DC stats here.
Dances4Life wrote:

www.guncite.com . . .

This is from 1990, so it's 23 years old and hopelessly out of date.
Dances4Life wrote:

townhall.com . . .

Here's a quote from this source: "The District is poised to finish the year with fewer than 100 murders for the first time since 1963, and neighboring Prince George's County likely will post its lowest homicide total in 25 years.
The 'murder capital' of the United States two decades ago (italics mine), the District has had 79 murders so far this year, according to police records. The annual number has been declining steadily since 2008 and is a far cry from the five years during the late-1980s and early-1990s crack epidemic, when the number of homicides never dropped below 400."
So again, where is the source of your claim that DC has (as opposed to had) "one of the highest gun crime rates per capita in the USA"? I'm honestly curious.
re: Guns allowed in college
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Jan 23, 2013 04:53 PM
While 79 murders are indeed still tragic, what is also significant is that according to the Washington Post, the murders we do have are more likely to be acts of domestic violence than street crime. That will be with us as it is hard to prevent. The drug-related crime, which was the bulk of the murders 20 years ago has dwindled. Enforcement has improved. The police are not as willing to accept mere attrition of drug gangs anymore ("If they keep on shooting one another, they'll all be gone.") What is also significant is that adjoining Prince Georges County Maryland had their rate drop for many feared that improved enforcement in DC would push crime into the eastern suburbs of Maryland. The northern and western suburbs of Maryland, the western 2/3rds of DC and most of the Virginia suburbs have always had low crime rates. Even PG County, outside of the Beltway has rather low rates. Police in this area effectively broke up the two largest sources of crime here...the arrest and conviction and life sentence of local drug kingpin Rayfull Adams (and his rivals) and the arrest and imprisonment of large elements of the Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13) gang, the source of most crime in the Hispanic community.

Jon
re: Guns allowed in college
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15032, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 03:13 AM
I don't have the time or energy to get the stats on it right now, but concealed carry license holders are the LAST people you need to worry about handing guns. Not sure about Texas, but in several states you have to pass the exact same exams police officers do in order to carry concealed, and holding a license is very strict. Open carry is slightly less so, but again, if someone is carrying openly, they are not dangerous... because they're letting you see their firearm. These are people who voluntarily go to the police to get licenses to do so. They are serious gun owners. They are not going to let you or anyone else anywhere near their weapon.

I am definitely for allowing license-holders to carry on campus. I don't know about allowing weapons in the dorms, though. Separate issue. I can think of no conceivable reason or argument why carrying shouldn't be allowed on campus, though.
re: Guns allowed in college
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 24, 2013 08:19 PM
Edited by Dancing_EMT (115664) on 2013-01-24 20:21:41
Heart wrote:

I don't have the time or energy to get the stats on it right now, but concealed carry license holders are the LAST people you need to worry about handing guns. Not sure about Texas, but in several states you have to pass the exact same exams police officers do in order to carry concealed, and holding a license is very strict. Open carry is slightly less so, but again, if someone is carrying openly, they are not dangerous... because they're letting you see their firearm. These are people who voluntarily go to the police to get licenses to do so. They are serious gun owners. They are not going to let you or anyone else anywhere near their weapon.

I am definitely for allowing license-holders to carry on campus. I don't know about allowing weapons in the dorms, though. Separate issue. I can think of no conceivable reason or argument why carrying shouldn't be allowed on campus, though.


In Texas, you have to have a minimum score in the qualifying part to prove you can hit what you need to hit and then 8 hours in a class.

But I agree, lawful firearm owners are the last people you need to worry about having a gun. Very very few lawfully owned firearms are used to commit crimes.

DH and I go to the range at least 1-2x a month and shoot all our guns we own. This year, I'll most likely get into competitive shooting, including 3-gun. :D

My husband carries in public, as do I.
re: Guns allowed in college
By cthompson1474member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 306, member since Sat May 19, 2012
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 03:27 AM
Dancing_EMT... off topic but do you know what the minimum qualifying score is? I have a gift card for a free CHL class but haven't signed up for it because I'm not sure what is expected. I am taking a gun class in late Feb and was planning to ask then.
re: Guns allowed in college
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 03:45 AM
cthompson1474 wrote:

Dancing_EMT... off topic but do you know what the minimum qualifying score is? I have a gift card for a free CHL class but haven't signed up for it because I'm not sure what is expected. I am taking a gun class in late Feb and was planning to ask then.


I believe it was 80%. My husband and I got a score in the 90's.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch