Forum: Advice / Stretching

book recommendations
By lift
On Wed Jan 23, 2013 05:09 AM

The world is filled with information and I am asking for help sorting out the good, ungood or out of date.

The science of movement as it relates to ballet has become very interesting to me lately.
Any recommendations for a reference book that has color diagrams, explanations and suggested strengthening and/or stretching exercises? Are kinesiology text books an easy read?
Is this decent?

thanks

4 Replies to book recommendations

re: book recommendations
By yvonne131321member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 29, 2013 03:06 AM
books like that one are a great resource and read if you can sit down and absorb the science of it all. I am in nursing school and unless you find the anatomy and science really interesting it will easily become a book of meaningless words. What exactly are you looking for in the text book or book in general? stretches dance history, dance stats?
re: book recommendations
By lift
On Sat Feb 09, 2013 09:55 AM
Edited by lifted (203879) on 2013-02-09 10:05:42
Sorry I haven't responded sooner.
Basically, I want to know how to tendu (properly)! I want to be satisfied when I look in the mirror at the studio. Can a book make that happen?

I am shown the movements, but my analytical mind wants more. My chemistry background and employment in lab has enabled an insatiable craving for facts.

What are the names of the muscles and how do I know I am activating them. What conditioning exercises can I do. That's what I am looking for.
I think I'll go ahead and buy it.

To present and future DDNers:
I cross posted this in Ballet and received an excellent response from Spndx66:
www.dance.net . . .

Comment #10072884 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2013-02-11 22:19:57 If you don't have an answer then don't comment.

Comment #10072885 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2013-02-11 22:19:30 Double post.

ReplySendWatch