Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

any snacks or meals that you like to eat before you attend dance class?
By swanQueenNY
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:10 AM

I'm looking to get the most energy that I can get and help with cramps. I already eat bananas.
any tips you would like to share about your pre class meal?

10 Replies to any snacks or meals that you like to eat before you attend dance class?

re: any snacks or meals that you like to eat before you attend dance class?
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 25, 2013 09:48 PM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2013-01-25 22:51:10
By hummingbird
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 05:17 AM
I always ate fruit or raw veges before classes or rehearsals, I really couldn't bear to have anything heavy like bagels in my stomach at all. It meant I snacked quite a lot during the day with classes in the morning, rehearsals in the afternoon and performances in the evening.
By balletomane0606
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 07:22 AM
Seeing as right now I will eat anything remotely chocolate, before class I eat:
fruits
bagels, baguettes, toast, whatever (usually with (peanut) butter)
tiny, crunchy ladyfingers :) (my fave)
chocolate cake, chocolate, chocolate whatever... but beware, they give you a great sugar crash.
for cramps, just drink just enough water to replenish your sweat of water then go to the toilet. Eat like you'd eat for running/swimming/other dance.
I personally don't like bananas because they leave a funny aftertaste in my mouth, therefore requiring too much water (and frantic toilet trips). If you are a girl (as I'm assuming) and it's period cramps...well, I have no remedies.
By wembley
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 09:40 AM
I like nut bars, they seems to provide a slower release of energy than chocolate, but are not too stodgy.
re: any snacks or meals that you like to eat before you attend dance class? (karma: 1)
By macnatt
On Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:11 AM
My daughter loves to take some sushi, a couple of pieces before class gives a great burst of energy (without the sugar) and then she can grab another bit between classes if she needs to top up or is working very hard. Low fat, low sugar and sodium but plenty of protein and carbs to get through a tough class. Very light and doesn't make her bloat. She also has nuts, and fruits too.
re: any snacks or meals that you like to eat before you attend dance class? (karma: 1)
By munchkin16
On Mon Jan 28, 2013 09:44 AM
A bannana with crunchy peanut butter, or stewed pears with dark chocolate if I am at home. If I go straight from school I take something from my graze box :) www.graze.com . . .#!p=home
They come in the post and have loads of good snacks in. Nuts and seeds are good before class as well :)

Comment #10065811 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2013-01-29 23:14:25 Ooops, double post.

By Cheesemoo
On Tue Jan 29, 2013 05:40 AM
I second sushi for dinner! As a snack, I LOVE these coconut bars: www.oskri.com . . .
They are SO GOOD and I find that nuts settle heavy in my stomach. (and these don't at all)
Bananas are always good (and help with cramps), and I also like oranges for some sugar.
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Jan 29, 2013 06:17 AM
I kind of rotate a few standards. Not very exciting, but they work, don't require any preparation, and keep me from eating crap or stuffing myself with carbs between classes.

My husband teases me...says I eat like a hobo...but this is only right before I leave for the studio. When I get home I eat a nice homecooked meal, sometimes prepared by me before I leave, often prepared by my husband while I'm gone.

The Hobo Collection is often right out of the can...nutrition, nothing social or even civilized.

Any one or two of these:

A banana
A chunk of cheese
A small can of tuna.... so unglamorous, but the easiest protein fix and only 110 calories, plus all those trace fish oils
Canned sliced beets
Canned fruit
Yogurt

Any one of these keep me from feeling sick, and two actually fill me up for a while

Keep On Dancing*
By Garnet_Juliet
On Tue Jan 29, 2013 07:12 PM
I always have protein - although I've heard that you should have carbs for energy and protein AFTER working your muscles so that you can rebuild them. Is that true? In any case, protein makes me feel energized but without bloat. I could never eat veggies or fruit before class I'd feel so bloated from the water.
Sushi sounds ideal but kind of luxury for me.

ReplySendWatch