Forum: General / Travel

Travel
Tips for trip to London/Milan/Rome please?
By Ellen_Eliz Comments: 1090, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 07:08 PM

Hi everyone! This spring I will be traveling abroad for the first time (I'm in the US) to London, Milan, and Rome. We'll also be stopping in NYC for a couple of days, but I have been there before (though tips still welcome). We will only be in each city for 4-5 days. Daytime will be spent at businesses, but I think we'll have most evenings free.

I'm a little overwhelmed googling tips on the Internet so I was hoping DDN could help me out. What should I make sure not to miss in each city? Any tips on what to wear? (It'll be in May). Food/shopping/sightseeing suggestions?

Really, any info is welcome. As I'll be in school right up until we leave, I don't have a lot of time to plan. I like to be super-prepared before I visit anywhere. Thanks in advance!

3 Replies to Tips for trip to London/Milan/Rome please?

re: Tips for trip to London/Milan/Rome please?
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:15 PM
I've never been to London or Milan, but my favorites in Rome were:
-Go to Trattoria D'Augusto in the Trastevere neighborhood. You'll probably have to wait in line outside (it's a small, family-owned and operated place), but it's SO worth it. The food is amazing and the atmosphere is so fun.
-The Trevi fountain is definitely worth a stop, especially at night when the lights are on. Gorgeous place.
-Via del Corso, if you want to shop. It's one long (about a mile) street in downtown Rome full of great stores.
-The Pantheon is pretty cool--you walk down a bunch of tiny cobblestone streets, out into an open square, and suddenly it's RIGHT there. It's a pretty quick stop, too, since there's not a whole lot actually going on inside it. Not sure what their evening hours are, though.
-The Vatican/St. Peter's Square are good landmarks to see. (And definitely go inside St. Peter's Basilica, if you can!) Again, fairly easy to stop by quickly, since you can just walk through the square and get a feel for it.

I think the only thing I really wasn't all that impressed with in Rome was the Spanish Steps. It's a cool landmark and all, because of the Roman Holiday connection, but they just sort of look like...a bunch of steps. :P You should also be prepared to go off the main streets if you want cheaper food. We found that the overpriced restaurants were usually right on the beaten path, because they knew most tourists tend to stick to main streets for meals while they're out sightseeing and shopping. And remember that in Italy (and other European countries, too), what's considered polite and standard manners are different from the U.S. We might say thank yous and pleases and excuse me's all the time to strangers, whereas, in my experience, Italians often don't see the point. It doesn't mean they're mean or rude people, just that they tend to be more blunt and straightforward about things.

As for clothing, layering is always good. You can check the weather before you go, of course, and that'll give you a better idea of what to bring, but layering gives you options. Have fun!
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:51 AM
In London the Globe Theatre season should have started, you get to see Shakepeares plays as they were performed! You can even stand as a groundling in the yard with a couple of hundred other people :D
By balletomane0606 Comments: 175, member since Mon Dec 03, 2012
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:14 PM
Edited by balletomane0606 (255383) on 2013-01-26 22:16:20
London? Umm, Covent Garden. Big Ben, the Palace, the Eye. Should keep you busy. And Picadilly, and go to Hamley's. Buy any toys for your niece/nephew....
Well, for Rome, please be prepared for bloody noses. It was so dry there that on our 4 family trips, there were at least 9 bloody noses. Fortunately, there are many dumps that you can bleed into. It is hot, and beware for any sleeping children you have to carry or shoe-fetish husbands. My sister was extremely fat when we went (baby fat) and it was noon, summer. My mother, who is shorter and lighter than me (I'm only 12) had to carry her for half and hour when she was asleep, standing, while my dad bought six pairs of very expensive, identical shoes. We left without him.
Hope you have a great trip! Rather sick of London, as I've been 3 times in the past 3 months because of boarding school exams...
What to wear? T-shirt, shorts, jeans, hat, scarf....light jacket, cardy, dunno. Being from HK, I find London extremely cold...it depends on where you come from. But beware of the dismal, depressing weather.

<3 Balletomane0606

ReplySendWatch