Forum: Highland / Highland

Highland - General
Deb Lines - Costume maker and Fraud...ORDER AT YOUR OWN RISK
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Jan 26, 2013 02:15 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2013-01-26 14:19:42 ..
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2013-01-26 14:51:50 minor corrections
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2013-01-26 18:50:57 Sticky so everyone can see this.
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2013-01-27 09:28:19 ..edit
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2013-01-27 10:15:15 .
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2013-01-27 10:15:55 added her location so people know

There was a member user name scottiedog440, real name Deb Lines from Michigan who sold items here and advertised as a costume maker. Several member had problems getting their costumes within a reasonable time and were often led to believe the costume was going to be sent out in the next day, not to receive it weeks later, and then another excuse would arise but the costume was in route...oooops except it wasn't. Most people finally got their costumes (7 months after paying for them), but we have 2 people that do not have their costumes and paid in JUNE.

The account holder has been banned for lying to moderators and committing fraud against members of ddn. We started correspondence with her over a month ago to rectify the situation and described in detail the consequences of not handling this to our satisfaction (getting both these people their costumes) and we gave her an extra week. We are posting a warning here, and filing a complaint with FUSTA.

Her e-mail is linesde1@sbcglobal.net. It is our recommendation to not order or buy ANYTHING from this costume maker, and if you...you will do so at your own risk and the administration of dance.net will not help you if a transaction ends up with problems.

Online fraud or Internet fraud generally refers to any type of fraud scheme that uses online services - such as chat rooms, e-mail, message boards, or Web sites - to present fraudulent solicitations to prospective victims, to conduct fraudulent transactions, or to transmit the proceeds of fraud to financial institutions or to others connected with the scheme. This is exactly what Deb Lines has done, and if other people have been victims, please let the moderators know.

6 Replies to Deb Lines - Costume maker and Fraud...ORDER AT YOUR OWN RISK

re: Deb Lines - Costume maker and Fraud...ORDER AT YOUR OWN RISK (karma: 1)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 09:25 PM
We have another victim of this scam. Someone ordered a dress over a year ago, was told it was being sent, and then Deb ignored contact after this summer.

We are trying very hard to help the people who are owed money and dresses. PLEASE DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS PERSON!! If you need information how to start proceedings for small claims court, or information on who to contact for internet fraud we can provide a few links. Each state is different, and when it is other countries it can get even more confusing, but there are ways to fight internet fraud and we'll do everything we can to help those people who were taken advantage of.
re: Deb Lines - Costume maker and Fraud...ORDER AT YOUR OWN RISK
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Fri Feb 01, 2013 06:07 PM
My student was able to obtain a full refund (7 months after the costume was ordered & 3 months since communication ceased), which we are very thankful for, especially after hearing so many stories now from other DDN members. The method that finally succeeded for us was sending a statement to this woman, copied to her daughter's dance teacher (with whom I had already been in contact), letting her know that she had X amount of days to refund my student's money or we would be filing a report with the FUSTA Ethical Committee, citing suspected violations of the SOBHD Code of Ethics for Highland Dancing, as Adapted and Adopted by FUSTA (Interim for 2012). Specifically, the following:

"GENERAL BEHAVIOUR
"1. Participants will display honesty, fairness and equality of opportunity in all relationships.
"2. Participants will not engage in behavior which undermines the status and esteem of Highland Dancing.

"WELL BEING OF DANCERS
"Participants will seek to ensure the well-being of the dancer at all times.

"LEGISLATION
"Participants, who do not adhere to the above, will be subject to a penalty decided by the Board."

I also attached copies of all the correspondence between her and my student, with important parts (like dates, fraudulent statements, etc.) highlighted. This did result in me receiving a very rude email back from her, but my student got her money back and can move on in ordering from another vendor and that is all that matters to me.

I share all this to let any other victims know that it is possible to hold this person accountable for her actions. We don't have to accept our Highland community being taken advantage of! If I can act as a resource to another teacher/parent/dancer, I am more than happy to do so.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sun Feb 03, 2013 03:30 PM
I also have sent an e-mail to FUSTA in order to file a complaint.

Not something I really wanted to do, but when you purposely ignore a DDN PM from a mod about an issue that I sent my hands are tied and I have to act in order to try to protect our community.
By sew_what Comments: 113, member since Mon Mar 18, 2013
On Fri Apr 12, 2013 02:02 AM
I had seen this warning somewhere else before about scottydog and thank you for taking action. There is nothing worse than disapointing your daughter when there is an upcoming competition and you think you have your outfit and you don't.
By Coquitlammommy Comments: 25, member since Thu Sep 27, 2012
On Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51 AM
THANK YOU so much for keeping us informed. I am a relatively new member who is regularly on DDN looking for highland outfits. The only way most of us know to steer clear of these type of people is from this kind of feedback, so thank you again!

Comment #10161058 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2013-12-21 15:34:56 Advertising isn't free, sorry!

ReplySendWatch