Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Tap shoe care
By TapperinTenn
On Sun Jan 27, 2013 05:13 AM

I recently got some brand new Capezio K360 tap shoes. They are two-tone, patent leather, black and white. I would like to know if anyone has any tips on how to maintain them; cleaning the taps, polishing the leather, and how to get rid of a scuff mark on the sole along the ball of the foot. It got there when I performed a slide across the floor, just for fun.

While we're on the subject, what is your feeling on support insoles? My feet have low arches. In other words, I'm flat-footed, and when I dance, it causes me to make a lot of extra sounds and dance flat-footed a lot.

Please help?

5 Replies to Tap shoe care

re: Tap shoe care
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 28, 2013 01:05 PM
I have to be honest, I don't clean the taps or soles of my shoes, as I personally find it makes them slippery (I used to when I first started) - I actually spray them with hairspray rather than clean them, haha.

I occasionally clean the upper part with the neutral coloured cleaning stuff I use for my Doc Martens, but that's it.

I also have VERY flat feet, but I find support insoles too restrictive for dance. I find it's just something I need to be aware of from a technique point of view, and check my foot positioning accordingly to make sure I'm 'pulled up' when I should be.

I will be watching this thread for tips myself. Thank you for posting it. :)
By martyCTT
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 04:44 PM
If they are patent leather (meaning the shiny kind that look almost like plastic) then all you need to do to clean them is use a cotton ball dipped in rubbing alcohol. That will get rid of most smudges and marks.

I wouldn't worry about the bottom of the shoes, they will wear and tear over time and look very well loved :)
By TapperinTenn
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 02:13 PM
Thanks for the replies!
What about inner supports for flat feet? Does that have an impact on clarity, technique, and/or efficiency? If so, where can I find some of these? Are there some inner supports made specifically for dance, or can any supports suffice?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 06:42 PM
If you want your clarity and technique better, you have to work with your feet. Arch support won't make you a better tapper, although they might alleviate pain. The only way to stop making extra sounds is to spend some time in your shoes, working on how you have to manipulate your feet to keep your taps off the ground when they aren't needed.
By TapperinTenn
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 04:00 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Looks like I have work to do...

ReplySendWatch