Forum: Arts / Books

Books
Books/ series that you think everyone should read
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:28 AM

I can't be the only one who has that list of books that I think everyone should read because they will change your life/ the world/ etc. :) Plus I'm looking for some good recommendations. So what are your top books or series? I was gonna do 10 but I had to start thinking harder, and these are my hands-down top ones, so, in no particular order:

1. Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)- don't even need an explanation for these ones :)
2. Chronicles of Narnia (C.S. Lewis)- absolutely lovely writing and stories for any age. The Silver Chair is my favorite but they're all incredible.
3. Pictures of Hollis Woods (Patricia Reilly Giff)- technically "young adult fiction" or whatever, but seriously, however old you are, read this. It'll take you all of a few hours, and it's beautiful.
4. Blue Like Jazz (Donald Miller)- I think this book changed my life and especially if you're thinking through religion-y God stuff and want to read something that won't make you bang your head against the wall- THIS.
5. The Adventures of Winnie-the-Pooh (A.A. Milne)- totally brilliant and punny, and will make you smile and think about your childhood and feel all cozy and happy
6. The Fault in Our Stars (John Green)- asdfghjkl. Just read it.

16 Replies to Books/ series that you think everyone should read

re: Books/ series that you think everyone should read (karma: 1)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sun Jan 27, 2013 09:42 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2013-01-27 21:47:47
It's hard to pick something that everyone should read, because not everyone has the same taste in books. It would have to something of very high standards to say that everyone should read it - I'm thinking classic literature.

1. Northanger Abbey
2. Pride and Prejudice
3. Jane Eyre
4. The Aeneid
5. The Communist Manifesto

There are more.
-----

Now, books that I would recommend to people. These are books I have greatly enjoyed.

1. Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan
2. The Demonata by Darren Shan
3. Pendragon
4. The Dark Tower by Stephen King
5. Dragonlance (at least the first three) by Weis and Hickman
6. The Godfather - Mario Puzo
7. The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
8. The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
9. A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
10. The World According to Garp - John Irving

There are more to be named, but now is not the time. I could do this all day.

Non-Fiction:
1. Case Closed - Gerald Posner
2.The Purpose of the Past - Gordon S Wood
re: Books/ series that you think everyone should read
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Jan 28, 2013 04:58 AM
^ Just so you know, Dragons of Autumn Twilight might be out of print. I could only find it at Half-Price Books.

Anne of Green Gables series and Emily of New Moon series and Tales of Avonlea series and pretty much anything by L. M. Montgomery. That's my childhood right there, reading all those books.

I really enjoyed the "Study" trilogy by Maria V. Snyder.

All the Jane Austen books and Bronte books. I really enjoyed Plath's "The Bell Jar" and I really enjoyed "Fight Club."

Youth fiction, "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking-glass," everyone.e should read "The Princess Bride" and write off for the missing scene, all of Roald Dahl's books, and "The Neverending Story" with it's red and green print.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Jan 28, 2013 05:03 AM
Sumayah wrote:

^ Just so you know, Dragons of Autumn Twilight might be out of print. I could only find it at Half-Price Books.

That's a shame. I will now make sure not let my copy get damaged more than it already is.

I'm pretty sure I own about 50 Dragonlance books. I was in the thick of it when I join this site, hence my name. I was obsessed for a few years and went crazy with the book buying. I recently found out one of my co-workers loves the series as well and we had a pretty epic conversation about it.
By SoClassy Comments: 316, member since Mon Dec 03, 2012
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 09:31 PM
Pride and Prejudice (just celebrated 200 years of being read and loved earlier this week!)

To Kill a Mockingbird - favorite book of all time :D

Lord of the Rings (ok...maybe only if you're a fantasy nerd!)

D'aulaires Greek/Norse Mythology

Any of Shakespeare's plays

The Bible, Koran, and other holy texts. Even if you don't follow the beliefs, knowing for yourself is such a valuable tool and provides you with an open mind.

Jane Eyre

Animal Farm (seriously, these two books are so thought-provoking)

I could go on and on and on and on...
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 PM
My very first thought was:

To Kill a Mockingbird...so that's my #1.

Others:

- Shakespeare (my personal favorite is Hamlet)
- 1984 (even though I personally don't like it much)
- Lord of the Flies

I'm sure there are more...but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 PM
1. The Handmaid's Tale.
2. The Hunger Games trilogy.

#1 is a good read because it's what CAN happen if some of the insane republicans get in office and do away with a woman's choice about her body.

#2 is also a good read because it's something that can totally happen in the event of a totalitarian government.

Never give up your right to make a choice about your body and never give up a right to defend yourself. It's a slippery slope if those 2 rights are taken away. Which is WHY I'm so passionate about being pro-choice and pro-second amendment.
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 PM
^^I could actually argue for days about how the Hunger Games...well, suck. I will admit, I have only read the first one, but if you want a story about a crazy, psycho government read 1984 or The Giver. What got me with Hunger Games was the horribly constructed sentences. All over the place. Not even complete ones. It really bothered me. Like, a lot. (hehe, sorry)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 PM
Animal Farm (seriously, these two books are so thought-provoking)

That's a VERY good book about how communism starts, it starts small, but before you realize it, it's too late.

Another great book for provoking thought is "The Wave". It's about how easily Hitler rose to power.

Some of these books are why people think I'm "paranoid" about losing the rights to my body and the right to defend myself and my family. By the time you realize your rights are gone, it's too late. "Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it".
On Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 AM
SoClassy wrote:

^^I could actually argue for days about how the Hunger Games...well, suck. I will admit, I have only read the first one, but if you want a story about a crazy, psycho government read 1984 or The Giver. What got me with Hunger Games was the horribly constructed sentences. All over the place. Not even complete ones. It really bothered me. Like, a lot. (hehe, sorry)

To me at least, it's not about the writing (for the most part), it's about the story. I mean, if it's completely unreadable or whatever, that's a problem...but just having poorly constructed sentences isn't really a big deal, in my opinion. And in my opinion, the story of The Hunger Games trilogy is definitely worth reading the books! I wouldn't say it's something everyone should necessarily read...but I would definitely say it's an enjoyable series!

And here's a question for you: What about Twilight? Or the early Harry Potter books? Those don't really have the best writing, but they are still wildly popular!
On Fri Feb 01, 2013 04:27 PM
I never read either Twilight or Harry Potter, but after reading Hunger Games I realized how crazy some people were about and it really turned me off. Same with Twilight, I never read them because I didn't want to be put in 'that' group! :P But, I've decided to give The Hunger Games another chance and actually finish the series. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be a revolution until just recently. In the first book she just did what she was told.

Oh, and your GIF makes me smile every time I see it :)
On Fri Feb 01, 2013 05:52 PM
SoClassy wrote:

I never read either Twilight or Harry Potter, but after reading Hunger Games I realized how crazy some people were about and it really turned me off. Same with Twilight, I never read them because I didn't want to be put in 'that' group! :P But, I've decided to give The Hunger Games another chance and actually finish the series. I didn't even realize it was supposed to be a revolution until just recently. In the first book she just did what she was told.

Oh, and your GIF makes me smile every time I see it :)

Gotcha. I read the first HP, and half of the second, when they first came out (back when I was still in elementary school! o.O)..and I honestly just didn't enjoy them at all. Not that that was surprising at all. When I was younger, I basically only read/enjoyed historical, and some realistic fiction with very few exceptions. And that's why I've never read Twilight either. I just don't care for fantasy.

I'm glad you're giving The Hunger Games another chance! I'll be honest with you and tell you that Catching Fire (the second book in the trilogy) is by far my favorite!
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Feb 01, 2013 06:16 PM
Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy... best writing I've ever read. It was so exquisite!

Just kidding.

I think though that I must be the only one that didn't really love To Kill a Mockingbird.

I loved Fifth Business and the entire Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies. Fifth Business is based on a Prayer for Owen Meeney or vice versa... can't remember.

I read 25 books last year, which is 23 more than I have read in the last few years. Of all those books I honestly can't say that I would say that any are MUST reads. Amoung those I read Diary of Anne Frank again... and they did add some entries that her father hadn't originally allowed into publication.
By PHD_againmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 444, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:52 AM
Oh man, I HATED To Kill a Mockingbird. It was possibly the worst book I was ever forced to read for school.

In regards to the whole Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter debate- the thing to remember is that these are all meant to be books for teenagers. When we read them as adults, we tend to expect too much from them. These books are meant to engage young minds who don't have a deep understanding of anything outside of their day to day lives, not the minds of people who've lived outside of the shelter of mom and dad's protection.

My must reads are:

For kids (and adults who've never read them) I truly believe every little girl should read The Little House on the Prairie series as well as the Anne of Green Gables series. And no, watching the tv show/movies does not count! They don't do either series justice.

For teenagers, I'd recommend the Tomorrow series by John Marsden over the Hunger Games if for no other reason than it puts the idea of revolution in a much more relatable context than the Hunger Games does.

I think everyone should read a little classic literature. I've loved some, I've hated some but I feel like a better person for having given it a try.

As for modern literature there is so much out there that the possibilities are endless. My personal favourites are The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay and Clown Girl by Monica Drake. I've also enjoyed mulitple novels by Tish Cohen, Wally Lamb and Tawni O'Dell and I often recommend the authors over individual books in consideration of personal tastes.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Feb 04, 2013 01:07 AM
I have a long, long, list.

Here is a small start to my collection, as delivered by Santa this past DDN Secret Santa season.

www.dance.net . . .

I'll look it over and add on as necessary, hopefully without repeating several of the excellent suggestions already listed above.

Keep On Dancing*
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Feb 03, 2013 07:03 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2013-02-03 19:05:11 fixed markup
Just to start with a few of my favorites from childhood
Image hotlink - 'https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrLh1NrYvsj7bwQjnEjx9QVDtWYCfQtWRN8VHLCGAHV4hDFtpC'
Image hotlink - 'http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E18cm72vL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://i2.listal.com/image/94985/600full-green-eggs-and-ham-cover.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'http://theallureofbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/daddy-long-legs.jpg'
Image hotlink - 'https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSua-qolYs9Y4xM0FNgs4Y4-MYc7X0ZQHeyV7e9D4nVqdTCBYs'
Image hotlink - 'http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9781411432895_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG'
Image hotlink - 'http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSboq4JpNCESU-vC7n8AL2awA-2oXPox6VaUk3WbU1lxnagJsQ8cg'
Image hotlink - 'http://thesweetersideofmommyhood.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/harold.jpg?w=590'
Image hotlink - 'http://www.scholastic.com/content5/media/products/69/9780486432069_xlg.jpg'

I'll be back...

Keep On Dancing*
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Mon Feb 04, 2013 03:44 AM
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

It's historical fiction....but very detailed and VERY good.

I've pretty much read every other book people have posted in this thread.....the only ones I didn't like were the Twilight series. They were ok....just not that great in my opinion.

ReplySendWatch