Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Crafts & Hobbies
Thought you might like to see some jewelry I made.
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 04:10 AM

I made 2 pairs of earrings. The yellow and green earrings are for a swap. If I was going to sell them, I would charge $20. The hearts are mother of pearl, the glass is cane glass and the sparkly ones are Swarovski crystals. Oh yeah, I made the card the earrings are on, stamped the face on it and if you can see it, I punched out the bottom of the card. It stands up when I do crafts fairs.

The pink hearts are also mother of pearl, the brown & yellow are cane glass which I love & more Swarovski crystals which I also love. These I am going to sell for $20 which isn't a bad price for what they are. Any comments would be appreciated.

17 Replies to Thought you might like to see some jewelry I made.

re: Thought you might like to see some jewelry I made.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 04:16 AM
I like the colors in the pink ones. I would never pay $20 for them though honestly.
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 04:30 AM
Glad you liked the colors in the pink ones. What do you think I should charge for them?
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 08:28 AM
I sell Scottish sea glass and Iona marble jewelry on etsy (kiltedWoman). To determine the price, add up how much you spent on the materials to make the earrings, the packaging, how much you want to be paid for your labor and then double it. So if you spent 5 minutes making them you would charge less than if you spent 30 minutes. If your materials are rare or cost a lot to begin with then you can also charge more. For my earrings I charge 15 to 20 dollars at craft shows and a couple dollars more on etsy to account for fees.
Talk to other people selling earrings at craft shows and see how they are doing at their price points. If you price something too low people assume it isn't good quality, too high and you won't sell anything. If your materials cost $2.00 and it took you a few minutes to put them together then $20.00 is too high.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 AM
You also need to avoid producing anything you might get at Claire's. Those look like they'd cost about $3.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:42 PM
The hearts in the earrings make them look cheap. I feel that if you had more of a neutral bottom part, I can see wearing them as an adult. If I were to buy the yellow/green ones, I would want a round brown piece. Maybe something made of wood.

If you are aiming them towards a younger age group, I would sell them for cheaper then twenty. I do like the design minus the heart!
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:25 PM
I agree that $20 seems a bit steep, especially since the style is more childish than adult, and TBH, they do look a bit cheap.

Now, that's not so say they aren't cute -- they are! But I could get earrings that looked pretty much like them for $5 at Claire's, like Panic said.
On Mon Feb 04, 2013 09:11 PM
I haven't been to Claires since the 90's I think so I have no idea what their earrings look like or how much they charge for them. However, I do know that my findings and beads cost me way more then $3 to buy. The Mother Of Pearl alone were not cheap because they are thick and not thin. Just recently bought a cheap MOP necklace because I liked the yellow color. It was on clearance for $4. I had to look through all of them to find a necklace where the thin MOP wasn't chipped. That won't happen w/mine because it's thick. The Cane Glass is handmade. The beads reminds me of the 60's as it's colorful and fun and has a lot of different shapes.

The yellow & green beaded earrings were for a swap. When I make anything, I want you to feel like a star. You know, the ones who have something specially made and they are the only ones who can have that pair of earrings or that necklace. I make one and only one of each piece I make. However, I don't charge Hollywood star prices. If you look at Torry Spellings jewelry on HSN, it's expensive & none of it is real or precious gems or even real gemstones. They are silvertone or goldtone (mine are gold filled) and she gets the big bucks because of her name. I've never liked anything she has made because it's definitely not my style, cheaply made and is expensive. I can't do what she does because I'm nobody. I think my price is fair.

Sorry you guys won't be buying any of my jewelry when I get my Etsy shop. When I do get it, I will let everyone know so they can have a look.

I asked for some comments, and I have to say the scan isn't so hot and you can see the punch I put on the earring holder I made on the bottom of the cardstock, and I got them. Thanks.
On Mon Feb 04, 2013 02:37 PM
Edited by KeepOnSingin (116683) on 2013-02-04 14:39:22
Here are a couple pairs of Claire's earrings:

www.claires.com . . .'s-new/cat1400018/st.-patrick's-day/p32018/gem-shamrock-drops/

www.claires.com . . .'s-new/cat1400016/valentine's-day/p24712/glitter-heart-drop-earrings/

Very similar style, and $5 each.

Not trying to be mean here, but maybe if you're going to make earrings/other jewelry that has the style for a younger audience you shouldn't use such expensive materials. If the cost to you really is more than a few dollars to make those earrings, why don't you use those materials to make jewelry for an older/more mature audience who would actually be able to afford it?
On Tue Feb 05, 2013 02:07 AM
It said the page you requested is not available so I didn't see anything.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Tue Feb 05, 2013 02:42 AM
www.claires.com . . .'s-new/cat1400016/valentine's-day/p24712/glitter-heart-drop-earrings/;jsessionid=8C70743EA7892844332B886AE1632708

Double your material costs is what I would charge.
On Tue Feb 05, 2013 02:54 AM
SoloJazzDancer wrote:

It said the page you requested is not available so I didn't see anything.

Strange. Just go to claires.com and look at the earrings link if you're interested.
On Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:10 AM
It said it again. I'll just go to their page & check.
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:30 AM
I would charge in the $6-$8 range. Your earrings remind me of some of these:

www.etsy.com . . .
www.etsy.com . . .
www.etsy.com . . .

I would ditch the hearts, though. I don't know many adults who would wear hearts unless they were being cheesy for Valentine's Day.
By LoriCook Comments: 1762, member since Mon Aug 17, 2009
On Tue Feb 05, 2013 07:54 AM
When you start your etsy shop, make sure to point out your quality materials and why your earrings are better than Claire's. You can always adjust your prices as time goes on. Once you come up with various designs you can figure out which ones are best sellers and which are not. I've made many items I thought would sell really well that were duds. You just never can tell.

There are tons of earrings on etsy. It helps to have a theme or a niche or otherwise you will be overlooked. It took me about a year to start making a decent profit. Good luck!
On Fri Feb 08, 2013 04:01 AM
Thank you for what you said. Dummy me forgot to say that jewelry is only one of the many things that will be on my Etsy site whenever I do get it. I do a lot of crafts fairs and know that jewelry is one of the things that a lot of people do. At one fair some guy had buy & sell jewelry. I'm guessing it was buy & sell because he was charging $1! Guess who didn't sell much jewelry at that show? I make earrings & I make luv beads, necklaces that you can wear as bracelets. I make hair jewelry. Hair clips that have beads hanging down for short & long hair. I make greeting cards. I stamp on clothing. I stamp on dishtowels, and pillow cases. I stamp on canvas bags & wooden purses & am probably going to start making stamped coasters. So as you can see, I just don't make earrings.
By DarcysReelmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4545, member since Mon Sep 29, 2003
On Sun Mar 10, 2013 03:41 AM
^There's no need to be defensive. When you've got your website up, let us know! I'm sure we'd like to peruse...:)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Mar 10, 2013 03:15 AM
SoloJazzDancer wrote:

Thank you for what you said. Dummy me forgot to say that jewelry is only one of the many things that will be on my Etsy site whenever I do get it. I do a lot of crafts fairs and know that jewelry is one of the things that a lot of people do. At one fair some guy had buy & sell jewelry. I'm guessing it was buy & sell because he was charging $1! Guess who didn't sell much jewelry at that show? I make earrings & I make luv beads, necklaces that you can wear as bracelets. I make hair jewelry. Hair clips that have beads hanging down for short & long hair. I make greeting cards. I stamp on clothing. I stamp on dishtowels, and pillow cases. I stamp on canvas bags & wooden purses & am probably going to start making stamped coasters. So as you can see, I just don't make earrings.

Which is more than fine, and probably something you have a great time doing. However, you asked for opinions (and you're getting them, that goes hand in hand with the asking for them...), and the general consensus seems to be that people were surprised at the price point. Just like it's your option to make them, they've all got the option to say that they're too pricey/not their taste/whatever.

ReplySendWatch