Forum: Gym / Acro/Tumbling

I NEED HELP!!! --teacher post--
By txnydxncxr
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 03:11 AM

Hi, I really need some advice, I don't know what to do with my senior acrobatics and tumbling class anymore. Three weeks ago, I had to sit them down and be like, "look, if you don't like my class, then leave," which ended up with a girl dropping out. But that didn't solve my problem.

The first week back, was awesome, the girls and boys all listened and did well, a lot of them walked away feeling accomplished. They didn't cut up and listened well. The second week, they started to cut up again. Keep in mind its still the same clique of girls from before, just minus one girl. During warm up, we were doing handstand forward rolls, and they were laughing and goofing around, and one of the girls landed on her head. She told me she was fine, and kept going in class, she even landed her aerial for the first time!!! But it turns out she has a sever concussion and has been in the hospital for 3 days :(

Today before class, the studio owner pulled me aside and asked me about it and I told her what happened. She said that if one more person gets hurt or kicked out of class, she's going to have to reevaluate it, and wants me to take it all back to basics, the studio owner has also now banned any type of forward roll from the studio.

Taking it back to basics is only hurting most of the kids in the class. I'd say 85% can do a front and back walk over, hold a handstand in various positions, about half can hold their elbow stand and change positions and have their face frames!

How do I gain the respect of the older girls who are cutting up? I've never had a class this old before, because I'm only 20, so asking me to teach 18 year olds is kinda asking me to teach my peers. I don't want them to get hurt, but obviously their friend getting hurt didn't effect them any since they were still all cutting up today. I haven't been mean, if anything, I've worked on what THEY wanted me to work on, but still run and tell the other teachers how big of a b**** I am....

I just feel really defeated, and I don't want to teach the class anymore..which breaks my heart..I love acrobatics and tumbling...does anyone have any ideas on how I can earn respect without being the mean teacher?

2 Replies to I NEED HELP!!! --teacher post--

re: I NEED HELP!!! --teacher post--
By cthompson1474member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 30, 2013 08:59 PM
Edited by cthompson1474 (249884) on 2013-01-30 21:08:44
First of all if they are clowning around and not paying attention do not let them do things that they could potentially get hurt with. If their class ends up being strictly conditioning because they can't handle it, then so be it. Make it known what is expected with no exceptions.

I don't think you should worry about gaining their respect. THEY need to earn your respect. They don't respect you, don't bend over backwards to get them to like you. Don't plan your class soley on what they want to do. Also don't refer to them as your peers, they aren't. You are the teacher, you're in charge.

This situation doesn't sound safe or good for anyone involved.

Good luck, I hope it gets better.
re: I NEED HELP!!! --teacher post--
By buckeye2
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 05:28 PM
I thought a forward roll was a basic skill? I do them with my 2s & 3s in our Dance with Me toddler class.

Have you talked to your SO about the issues?

If you want to get them in control, you are going to have to be strict. If they are goofing off, doing something that could result in injury, make them sit out or give them a conditioning thing. Goofing off - great! Now you have *somewhat reasonable* number of *least favorite condition excerise*. They can join the class when they're done.

ReplySendWatch