Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

New to ballet
By Brignull
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:15 AM

My daughter started her first ballet class last week, she is 10 and worried that an hours class a week is not enough to gradually get graded on?

6 Replies to New to ballet

re: New to ballet
By taxi4ballet
On Thu Jan 31, 2013 01:49 PM
Tell your dd not to worry - she is probably in a class where the others have been going for quite a while, and it will take her a few weeks to get the hang of the basic positions and terms, especially as they are all in French!

Once she's settled in, maybe you could have a word with her teacher. They may suggest she can do two classes a week which will help her get up to speed.

Do remember though, that classical ballet training needs the development of strength and flexibility over time, and she will find certain moves a struggle to begin with. This is fine, and perfectly normal! She will find that things will become easier each week, and that there's no need to be embarassed if she can't do things the others seem to find easy-peasy!
By bri_xoxo
On Sat Feb 09, 2013 01:41 AM
If she practices at home she should be just as good as she wants to be :)
By foreverdance0member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 07:51 PM
Usually an hour is all a child has for class (especially in my area). I am very fortunate that a lot of my kids want to come twice or more a week. It will take her a few lessons to get settled and she will make friends, once this happens she will feel a hundred times better.

Maybe ask her teacher for some music or ideas of things she can do at home. By all means, ask about taking another class, teachers are honestly flattered that a child loves coming that much they want more lessons with them.

She will get there. She's only had one or two lessons, so has nothing to worry about!
By gabbyballet
On Sat Jun 16, 2018 02:14 AM
When I was 10 I had 2-2.5 hours a week. I definitely recommend more. I've been dancing for 9 years now, almost 10, since when I was 3-ish, and it's definitely paid off.
By gabbyballet
On Sat Jun 16, 2018 02:15 AM
When I was 10 I had 2-2.5 hours a week. I definitely recommend more. I've been dancing for 9 years now, almost 10, since when I was 3-ish, and it's definitely paid off.
By Storm_Trouper
On Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 PM
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2018-06-21 23:56:45
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2018-06-21 23:58:04
Edited by Storm_Trouper (249942) on 2018-06-22 00:01:23
Withdrawn.
Thread is 5 years young.

ReplySendWatch