Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Competitions

Jazz - Competitions
Showbiz competition
By ooglybooglymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 67, member since Fri Jun 24, 2011
On Sun Feb 03, 2013 04:56 PM
Edited by ooglyboogly (237401) on 2013-02-03 17:00:18

I am attending Showbiz in a couple weeks for my first competition of the year with my Jazz solo. Its my first year doing a solo and I am pretty inexperienced with competition. Anybody know anything about this competition? Is it a good competition? Is it tough judging? I've heard mixed things about it. What do they like to see? I'm going on sometime around 9:00 PM and I really don't want to bore them because it will be late and they'll be tired.

3 Replies to Showbiz competition

re: Showbiz competition
By DaDancingPsych Comments: 3092, member since Wed Dec 18, 2002
On Mon Feb 04, 2013 05:12 PM
I don't know much about the competition (and what little I do know is likely outdated), however I think that the best that you can do is give it your best effort. Do all the things that you know about giving a good performance... practice, eat right, get plenty of rest, warm-up and run through your dance, and just relax and enjoy the experience. Even if your dance is not to a certain judge's taste, they will appreciate your performance much more if you are enjoying the experience!
By twinkletoes2981 Comments: 9, member since Mon Jan 07, 2013
On Sat Mar 16, 2013 04:10 AM
My studio did PrimeTime last year, which is the same people who run Showbiz. Great competition all around!!! I was very pleased with the staff and the fairness of the competition. We are going back again this year (next month). Most of my students competed for their very first time at that competition, and it was a great experience. The judges critiques were helpful and not hurtful. Good luck to you, if you haven't competed already.
By ooglybooglymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 67, member since Fri Jun 24, 2011
On Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 PM
I had a good experience for my first competition as a soloist. But the way the it was run was messy. They shuffled around numbers and ran 10 to 20 minutes late the whole competition. They played the wrong music three or four times with different people. At one point they started someones music when their was no one on stage. The judging seemed pretty fair for Diamond division. Their placement for Ruby division was a little confusing but I got first overall so I won't complain :P
I also got Mr. Showbiz(even though I was the only boy in my division) and a scholarship to their new Convention Showbiz Xtreme and I love conventions. So overall I had a good time but the competition itself isn't amazing.

ReplySendWatch