Forum: Adults / Money Matters

Money Matters
Favorite Large & Small Charities (karma: 2)
By MaraschinoCherry Comments: 182, member since Fri Nov 11, 2005
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:18 PM

What are your favorite large and small charities?
What sort of work do they do? Why do you think they are a worthy cause?
I'm looking for some hidden gems. My husband recently came into an inheritance and I'm trying to maximize the amount of good done with the money we've set aside for charitable purposes. Thanks!

10 Replies to Favorite Large & Small Charities

re: Favorite Large & Small Charities
By teenydanseur Comments: 513, member since Mon Nov 23, 2009
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:37 PM
That's very thoughtful of you :)

I like Partners in Health: www.pih.org they provide free healthcare to areas in need and have very little overhead, I researched them while looking for a charity in Haiti to donate to. Not only do they provide free healthcare, but they work with the community to train and hire health workers. They focus strongly on healthcare for women and children which I think is what sold me on them initially.
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 04:45 PM
I have a daughter with life threatening seizures so I'm partial to epilepsy related charities. The Danny Did foundation is based in Chicago and is founded in memory of their 4 y/o son who died from a seizure. In his memory they provide grants for life saving Emfit seizure alarms.
Chelsea Hutchison Foundation in Colorado is in memory of their 16 y/o daughter- they provide grants for Emfit's and seizure service dogs.
Domesti-pups is in Nebraska- they train service dogs for people with multiple disabilities. The cost of training a dog is $24,000. Families are asked to fundraise or pay 1/2 while the company fundraised to match the other 1/2.
1boy4change is literally a teen boy who is partnering with trainers to provide low cost service dogs. His organization is small but powerful.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 05:03 PM
Vitamin Angels! They get essential vitamins to under-nourished children all over the world. For example, they have a huge Vitamin A program which helps prevent blindness. www.vitaminangels.org
re: Favorite Large & Small Charities (karma: 1)
By lildancergirl22 Comments: 320, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:08 PM
Sleeping Children Around the World (www.scaw.org)!

For $35 you donate a bedkit (and clothes and school supplies) for a child around the world in need. AND they send you a picture of the child that received your donation so you know exactly where your money is going. All of their overhead is covered through volunteers and donations of service so 100% of your donation goes to the children. They also try to use local suppliers for the bedkits so the money also goes back into the child's local community.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:16 PM
My local food bank and thrift store, sponored by our church, is my favorite charity. It benefits people right here in my own backyard. There is a free medical clinic/women's resource center in our neighboring sister town I like, also. I try to keep it all close to home.

kk~
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:03 PM
Ranchito con Esperanza (Little Ranch with Hope): I have been to this foster home 2 times (for a week 2 summers ago and a month last summer) and hopefully will be returning for spring break and maybe this summer. It's run by a family in a small town in Mexico and although they say foster home, it's really more like a big family, and I've seen first hand the impact that they've had on these kids, who have come out of awful situations of abuse and neglect and now not only get food and shelter but love and friendship and education as well. www.ranchitoconesperanza.com

Dr. Jonah Memorial Leadership Fund: Some very good family friends who worked as doctors in Uganda for many years were there during the Ebola outbreak. Jonah Kule was a doctor who worked with them who came from the small town where they worked and he died from ebola trying to help others. This money goes to helping other local medical students so they can give back to their community and help an area that really needs it. www.whm.org . . .
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 01:54 AM
I used to work for Starlight Children's Foundation, and am very passionate about their work. They help provide assistance to seriously ill children and their families. Knowing first hand how it's helped families definitely has made me more passionate it.

I am also a contributor to Kidney Health Australia. I have problems with my kidneys and most people don't know how big of an issue kidney disease is.

And while it's not a charity as such, I am a promoter/supporter of DonateLife, which raises awareness about organ donation. One person can save up to 10 lives with organ donation, which is just amazing to me.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 07:11 PM
I donate to Planned Parenthood International. I feel very strongly that everyone in the world should have access to the means and education needed to control their own fertility. ippf.org

I also sponsor two children through Children International. I did my research on various child sponsorship programs, and Children International rated very high on financial transparency and on keeping overhead costs low so that more of the money goes directly to the children. They provide assistance with nutrition, clothing, education, basic health and hygiene, and they establish community centers where children can have a safe place to play, read, and study. I also get the bonus of receiving letters and pictures from my sponsored children, which is a lot of fun. :) children.org
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 08:47 PM
We do a fair amount of charitable work, my wife perhaps more directly than I do. As we are both retired, we have time to do some of this. To a large extent we tend to do local things with local impact. We contribute heavily to our church, even though I seldom attend (she does.) She is also involved in a food pantry project the church does for needy local families.

I am a survivor of both a heart attack and cancer (twice) and she has had by-pass cardiac surgery. She is heavily involved - one of the local chairpersons - for our local Relay for Life, a local one-day project involving virtually every civic organization in our town (an outlying suburb of Washington, DC.) This event raises over a half-million dollars every year for cancer research. We personally contribute in cash, but my wife also makes "Cancer Awareness Bracelets" of Swarkovski beads which raise about $20,000 profit each year. (She is reimbursed for her materials, but not her labor.) Other members of her Relay for Life team sell these at local shows (garden shows, flea markets, health fairs etc., and through personal contacts. Since she started this over $200,000 has been raised. We try to use some of our contributions as a "multiplier" e.g. we contribute to things which will help to raise many times our contribution. She does work for the Heart Foundation, but to a lesser extent.

As is well known on DDN, I am also a violinist and we contribute heavily to the groups in which I play; and, to other arts groups.
Usually I just contribute cash, but when I too, received a modest inheritance, I made my donation as a match. I would contribute $1000, for example if other members of the organization would match that amount.

We, of course, contribute in smaller amounts to other organizations such as the Scouts (though I have given the Sea Scouts two sizable sailboats) , Fire Department, our alumni associations for our universities, the schools our grandsons attend, the local hospital auxiliary, the local theater etc. etc. Like many we also donate a fair amount of recyclables such as clothing, surplus building supplies, computers, to appropriate charities. As for the Boy Scouts, I am also involved with groups who are trying to reverse a national policy concerning GLTB members and leaders.

I also like to do some non-monetary things. As a cancer survivor, I have given talks on surviving cancer, particularly colon cancer and especially to the local African-American community where diet and an aversion to invasive screen prevent many people from seeking help and which causes an incidence of the disease far higher than other populations. I also like to give some cultural outreach things involving my music..."show and tell" of my instruments along with other symphony members with other instruments to things like nursery schools, Head Start programs and the like.

Jon
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6818, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:49 PM
I am a wish granter for the Make A Wish Foundation. I especially love this organization as I've seen "the power of a wish". In addition to granting a single wish to any child living with a life threatening medical condition, they are one of the few organizations that use the talents of all volunteers to work directly with the sick children, not just for fundraisers. I also LOVE the fact that they do not require that families fall under a certain income to qualify. So many hardworking middle class families are excluded from many charities because they "make too much money". Childhood illness does not contain itself to lower incomes and all sick children deserve to have something wonderful to enhance their lives and bring them hope.

My other favorite charity is UNICEF, the United Nations International Children's Fund. It is just remarkable what they can do for the children of the world with just a few dollars.

Keep On Dancing*

ReplySendWatch