Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
These are the best days of our lives
By punkgirl59
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 01:32 PM
Edited by punkgirl59 (21679) on 2013-02-10 15:06:31
Edited by punkgirl59 (21679) on 2013-02-10 15:07:37
Edited by punkgirl59 (21679) on 2013-02-10 15:33:56
Edited by Odessa (22571) on 2013-02-13 03:49:13 to embed a YouTube video in your message, simply put everything AFTER the equals sign in the YouTube URL between [youtube] and [/youtube]. Hurrah!

*Apparently Youtube/DDN hates me, because the video shows in the preview but not the post. Could anyone see it? I don't want to mess with it, feel free to view here:

There are two lines in the chorus of this song:

"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up"

followed immediately by:

"These are the best days of our lives"

I debated which of these to use as my title, because I fluctuate between feeling both of them pretty much on a daily basis. And frankly, they're both true. Coincidentally, this song is called "In This Diary," which I did not plan but is pretty great.

I'm starting a whopping of a new chapter in my life so along with it comes a new diary, although I majorly suck at updating.

I'm Punkgirl. I chose that username when I was 15, and back then I was pretty hardcore and it suited me. I haven't changed it (or saluted, or changed my avatar, or posted my real name) mostly because it's been so long that it would seem weird now. So I'm just Punkgirl. I'm 26, I live in Utah (yes I'm Mormon), and I'm a single mama to an almost 3-year old little girl. Her name is Reagan and she's super cool.

There are some massively awesome things going on in my life right now, so stay tuned, folks. It's going to get fun.

34 Replies to These are the best days of our lives

re: These are the best days of our lives
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 09:04 PM
Ahhh can't wait to hear more!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 10, 2013 09:57 PM
So good to see you back in Diaryland! I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were doing. Hard to believe Miss Reagan is almost 3. Time flies...

Can't wait to hear all your news!!
By punkgirl59
On Mon Feb 11, 2013 08:36 AM
Yay for warm welcomes!

So maybe I should clarify that my idea of things getting "fun" involve no sleep, rigorous study, begging journals to accept my manuscripts, and possibly insanity.

Yep. I'm starting my PhD.

Those of you who know me around these parts may remember that I have been planning on medical school since...forever. The past couple years I've been toying with the idea of graduate school since I got my undergrad degree in psychology, and I really love it. It was just a musing since I was so fixated on that MD (and have absolutely no desire in psychiatry), so I kept trying to push it out of my head.

Then I had a baby. I was (and am) single, working full time just to keep my kid fed, and I started questioning how plausible it would actually be to push through med school and residency with a new baby and virtually no support. That realization sucked, so I just didn't think about it.

I was working in a neuroscience lab at my university as a research assistant, and the research side of things really grew on me. Like, REALLY grew on me. I talked to my advisor about my med school vs. grad school dilemma, and he (knowing my interest in neurology) suggested Clinical Neuropsychology. This way, he said, I could still do research, still see patients, and not be a psychologist in a glorified therapist role (I hate therapy).

And the rest is history.

I googled like mad, talked to people in the field, read articles, and finally I was like....Holy crap. This is what I want to do for a career.

Letting go of that medical school dream was seriously the hardest thing ever. I cried. Which is ridiculous, because my goals and interests are allowed to change over 8 years. And they did. And I can honestly say that this career path suits me much better. But still, I was attached that MD. Sometimes my family and some of my more annoying friends make snide remarks about how I'm not going to be a "real" doctor anymore, and I want to punch them in the face. Not because I'm unsure about my choice, but because I feel like some type of failure who couldn't hack med school (although I read recently that clinical psychology programs have the most competitive admissions and accept the fewest students of all grad programs, including medical and law schools). I just have to remind myself that it's not that I can't handle medical school, it's just that a PhD better suits my goals. Still, I wanted that MD! Oh well. I have trouble letting go.

Anyway, I came to this realization in October. Applications for grad school are due in December.* Commence frantic scramble for letters of recommendation and statements of intent. I took the GRE after 1 week of studying and amazingly did well.

I applied to 8 programs, interviewed at 6, and was accepted to 4. (So far, I still haven't heard from the others.) Lucky for me, my top choice program accepted me 3 days after my interview. I was completely terrified and discouraged at the interview because there were about 60 extremely qualified and impressive applicants there fighting for 7 spots. Don't know how I got through, don't care, because I got in!

So here comes the "fun" part: picking up my 3 year old, our dog, and all our belongings and moving to a brand new city where I don't know a soul, and starting an insanely intense and demanding program that will occupy all my free time for 6+ years. Yay...?

Honestly, I could not be more excited. I'm done grieving med school and ready to start something new. I've worked my butt of the last few years, and being a single mom while going to school and working full time hasn't been easy. Thinking that I'm FINALLY getting a graduate degree and that everything is finally coming together is extremely exciting. Literally every day I'll just be sitting at home or in my car and just start smiling all giddy-like out of excitement.**

So that's my life. I'm packing up my kid and my condo and looking for houses in a city I don't know. It's scary but awesomely exciting.

*Side note: the application process is absolute torture. I felt like I had another full time job.

**Disclaimer: I'm fully aware that my excitement will likely turn into WTF DID I GET MYSELF INTO???? after my first month in the program. I don't care.
By punkgirl59
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 07:34 AM
Moving really sucks.

I've moved a handful of times before, but since I've mostly lived in furnished places, this is the first time I'm moving an entire house's worth of stuff. And it's so. much. work.

I've lived in my current house for two years and I really like it here. It's a great location; kind of far from my job and the rest of civilization, but I've always felt safe here. I'm a total scaredy cat when it comes to living alone, and it's even worse now that I have a kiddo to protect. Living here, I've never felt like I would wake up in the middle of the night with some creepo in my house taking my TV or my baby. And that's quite important to me.

I live in a pretty high class neighborhood that sits right on a private golf course and country club. Most of my neighbors have gigantic homes and boats and toys and even though I'm just a poor college student who got lucky with a good deal on a rental, I really love living here. I'm pretty bummed I have to find a new place. The one perk is that I'm currently in a second floor condo, and I've been dying to get into a house. I have a little dog, who is extremely content with being inside the majority of the day, but I still have to bundle myself (and Reagan) up just to take him potty in a blizzard and follow him around with a poop baggy. I'd kill for a yard on the ground floor so I could just open the back door and watch him through the window. Besides that, I'm a little tired of getting home from work at 11pm and walking up 2 flights of stairs in 5 inch heels, carrying the dead weight of a sleeping toddler in one arm and 10 bags of groceries + milk + apple juice in the other. My biceps have gotten huge since I moved in. So, ground floor with a yard would be great.

Oh, and speaking of feeling so safe in my neighborhood, I'm pretty sure a drug dealer just moved into the unit right above mine. I don't have physical evidence, but I've witnessed some pretty weird things. At what point can I go to the police about it? I'm generally of the opinion that if it doesn't affect me or my kid in any way, I don't really care what you do. Although I don't feel unsafe at this point, some things have happened that make me think it could get worse. Since I'm moving soon I've kind of ignored it, but I could technically still be in my place for up to 4 or 5 months. What would you guys do?

It's past midnight now, and this is the only time I have to get anything productive done (when Reagan is asleep) so I'm trying to find the motivation to shut my laptop and get off my butt. So far it's not working.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 07:44 AM
I was going to ask about your quest to med school, but it looks like you've got that covered for me. I gave up my MD dream awhile ago, too. I was upset and cried, too. But the path I'm on now feels far more suiting than I believe med school ever would have been.

More importantly... Congrats on getting into the PhD program! If you're cool sharing where you'll be moving to, you may find that some friendly DDNers live there and may be worthwhile contacts to have. Either way, good luck with your move!
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 08:21 AM
You can report shady stuff to the police. We saw some teenagers looking around and inside my parked car late one night not too long ago and then look around the open garage of a neighbor's house. We called the cops and even though we couldn't prove a crime had been committed, we just gave them a heads up about what we saw and asked for extra surveillance. (Our neighborhood has been home to a patterned string of burglaries in the past).

Good luck with your PhD! I'm in med school now....seems like PhD programs are becoming a much more common choice for many women! (Men too of course just from the people I know personally I'm surprised and impressed at how many people i know have gone that route). I think that program will be so up your alley from what I recall! Impressive returns on your interviews too! Feel free to punch the "real doctor" naysayers in the face. What a load of crap! I think people can be confused by PhDs...med school people generally "get" (four years with some classroom learning and some learning in the hospital) but PhDs can have such varied programs and you can get them in sciences and non-sciences and the route to each is quite different and do you pay for it or is it funded, etc etc!

I think a friend of mine actually just started her program in neurosci but I doubt it is "clinical". God bless you...I found Neuro extremely challenging to learn but maybe have been just the way it was taught. Aka please consider teaching a lecture or two to us poor lost souls in the future :P
By punkgirl59
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 AM
DDN just ate my gigantic post. Which basically means I accidentally clicked the back button. Efffff.

Odessa, thanks! Funny thing is I usually don't use the [youtube] ends, I just paste the embed code directly in the post and it usually works. I think my new laptop is a little screwy.

Sara, I'm so glad you said you were upset over med school too. My friends and family think I'm crazy for crying over it. I have a friend who was planning on med school her entire life, but she recently gave it up for law school. She's pretty much the only person I can talk to about how it sucks, cause nobody else gets it.

Uber, it's funny you say that, because so far neuro is that one thing that HAS clicked for me. I mean, psychology in general comes easily for me, it's not like it's exactly the most arduous subject material. But my neuropsych classes and labs are definitely what got me interested in research and grad school. I'm a terrible teacher though, I'll definitely have to brush up on my teaching skills over the next 6 years!

So I'm single on Valentine's, but I went out with a good friend (read: ex-fiance/best friend/weird relationship). I met this guy my freshman year of college and we dated for just over 4 years before getting engaged. It was a great relationship, but our core belief systems were quite different and we also had really different views for the future. We ignored that as long as we could, but eventually realized things didn't make sense long-term and broke it off indefinitely. We've been friends ever since. We talk almost daily, see each other weekly, and still go on dates where he pays and kisses me goodnight. It's kind of weird because the romance is pretty much gone, and we aren't attached at all. We've both had periods where we dated other people, and we'd just back off, still talk occasionally, but knock of the mushy stuff. When those relationships end, we casually date again. We both know that there's no future, but he's been my best friend for 8 years and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

My family thinks this is crazy. I'm friends with his mom and siblings on Facebook, and he comes to Reagan's birthday parties and brings her presents. He came to see me in the hospital with flowers after I had my baby (another guy's baby, at that). It really is a weird dynamic but strangely makes sense for us. I think as long as we both know there is no future and aren't attached, it's good to have the support of a best friend, who just happens to be a man I was going to marry. Does that sound totally crazy? It doesn't seem crazy until I write it all out.

Anyway, we have this weird tradition where we go to IHOP for Valentine's Day. The very first year we were together, he asked me where I wanted to have dinner. He easily makes 5x more money than I do, so I admittedly usually choose nice places. However, for whatever reason, that day I felt like waffles so I picked IHOP. The next year, I suggested some fancy place and he's like, "No way, IHOP is tradition." Yeah, sure. What a conveniently cheap tradition for you, buddy! So we've gone there ever since. This year, we decided to change it up a little because neither of us wanted breakfast food, and frankly, I don't even really like IHOP. We were lucky to get some last minute reservations at Rodizio Grill (no clue if this is a national chain-it's basically a Brazilian steakhouse). I stuffed my face with meat and creme brulee and decided this was a much better tradition. He bought me yellow roses (my favorite color) and truffles, and I got him nothing, whoops. Overall, good night. So that's that.

Oh, RE: my drug dealer neighbors, I think I may call in a tip. I feel kind of bad because the girl that lives there actually appears pretty sweet, and I think it's her boyfriend that's doing some shady stuff. But since they've moved in, three different people have knocked on my door past midnight, looking for her house (among other weird things I've witnessed). I don't particuarly want to get involved in some deal gone bad, especially with a sleeping toddler in the next room.

On a related note, I just bought myself an early Mother's Day present:

Image hotlink - 'http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/images/3604.jpg'

It's a Ruger .22 and it's super light, super accurate, and has absolutely no kick, which is good for me cause I'm tiny and the slightest kick will knock me over. By no means am I a crazy, gun-obsessed, nutjob (you know who you are...ahem), but my brother was selling it and offered it to me for cheap, so I took it. I actually do feel safer with it in my house (whether it's all psychological or not), and it's somewhere that Reagan can't get to it, so why not? It's a fun little gun.

It's about 3am now, and I'm at work counting the hours until I can go home. I have a billion things to do tomorrow, so I'll only be able to afford a couple hours of sleep when I get off. Literally counting down the days until I can get off these grave shifts forever...

Happy Valentine's Day all!
By punkgirl59
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 06:13 AM
My new mantra, from one of my all-time favorite bands:

"So sick, so sick of being tired, and oh so tired of being sick."

I have fricking pneumonia, and it could not have come at a worse time. I usually work two graveyard shifts a week and the rest days. So basically I get very little sleep, because on the nights I work grave, I go straight from work to pick up Reagan, and she doesn't exactly let me sleep until noon. Anyway, this week the other girl who works graveyards is on vacation, so I'm working 7 graves in a row, one day off, then 4 more graves. Terrible time to be bedridden. I've had a cold and cough for almost 3 weeks now, then when I got home today I had a fever of 104 and it hurt to breathe. Suck! I'm on antibiotics and steroids and an inhaler, but I still wish I wasn't at work. :/ Unfortunately none of my coworkers are able to cover graveyard shifts, and honestly, I wouldn't trust any of them with my work. So here I am.

Tomorrow Reagan is spending the day with her dad, so I'm hoping to just go home and crash the entire day until it's time to go to work again. In the meantime, I think I'll just order a pizza, catch up on Grey's Anatomy, and hope we don't get any admits. Cross your fingers the next 8 hours fly by!
By punkgirl59
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 06:38 AM
Check me out, I'm on a roll! What is this, like 6 days in a row or something? Probably the longest I've ever kept a diary. I've heard that when you start grad school, you need to write every single day, even if it's a short paragraph unrelated to your research. So I guess this is a good start. I actually probably could write an entire page every single day about my research, but I'm pretty sure it would put people to sleep. Not that hearing about my super exciting days doesn't...

I'm at work again, and heavily drugged, so I feel great. I think the worst of it was yesterday, I just about wanted to carve my lungs out with a spoon. After I got off work this morning, I took some medicine and slept for 12 hours straight. It was amazing. Woke up, took a hot shower, made some soup, and I'm good to go.

I'm having a serious dilemma about whether to quit my job:

www.dance.net . . .

I've been working and going to school, both full-time, for years now. And I would love soooo much to just focus solely on school and research. But I do love my job. And it is nice to keep a foot in the door somewhere. But I think the pros of quitting still outweigh the cons.

I work in healthcare, and I'm cursing HIPAA today, because I've had two patients this week with the BEST. NAMES. EVER. I just want to tell everyone. But I won't. Do you guys who work in the medical field ever wish you could divulge a little patient information for entertainment's sake? Happens to me all the time. But maybe I'm just a terrible person.
By punkgirl59
On Fri Feb 22, 2013 07:02 AM
This post will make me sound crazy, but hear me out.

I have a dog. He's a yorkie-poo and his name is Kobe. Yesterday was his birthday, and I took him out all day to celebrate. This is a yearly tradition, we've celebrated every one of his birthdays in a pretty big way. This year he turned 6. (This isn't the crazy part.)

First we went to the puppy spa. It's a no-cage spa, so he got to run around and play with all the other pups while he waited for his turn. He got a puppy massage, warm bubble bath, oil hair treatment, and a cut. Plus, he got a special birthday bandana and two birthday puppy cupcakes with white chocolate. He was smiling when I picked him up.

Next, we went shopping. We hit up Petsmart and a local pet supply store at a downtown mall. He picked out some treats, a ball (tiny squeaky balls are his favorite toy), and a new leash. I picked him out a new birthday outfit. Please note, I almost never put clothes on him. He does have a thick hoodie that he wears right after he gets shaved and has to go potty in the snow. He doesn't love the new shirt, but he looks super handsome. This isn't a picture of Kobe, just the website dog. Kobe looks much cuter in it:

Image hotlink - 'http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-13531120t300x300.jpg'

It has a collar and buttons up the front. Very dog-hipster.

After shopping we went home and I fixed him a birthday puppy casserole. Reagan and I sang to him (she thinks it's hilarious that we sang to a dog), and he devoured his food in like, 10 seconds. Extra love and tummy rub before bed, then I let him sleep right up in my face like he likes to, when I usually push him off onto Reagan's face.

So, Kobe pretty much got more attention on his birthday than some humans.

Now for the fun part (this is the crazy part), is his party on Saturday. We have a big party for him every single year, with a different theme:

Year 1 - Spiderman
Year 2 - Batman
Year 3 - Atlanta Braves
Year 4 - Utes (my Alma Mater's football team)
Year 5 - Super Mario Bros.

And this year (drumroll)...Avengers!

This is definitely going to be the coolest of his parties to date, so stay tuned for pictures.

Don't think I'm crazy. :(
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 05:05 AM
I want to divulge patient information ALL OF THE TIME. Mostly cause I work in the surgical/trauma ICU and I see the most ridiculous/gross things in existence. I will share this little gem, however. Friday night I was working and one of our patients (who was newly unrestrained) decided to pull his NG tube out. I ended up being the one to catch him, and when I did, he was laying in bed sucking on the damn thing like a straw! When I pulled it out of his mouth he wanted to know why I did that because he was just trying to get a sip of water. His tongue was yellow. It was NASTY! *headdesk*
By punkgirl59
On Fri Mar 08, 2013 06:36 AM
^ That is absolutely disgusting. I am the least squeamish person I know, but even that makes me gag. Speaking of divulging patient information, I'm 99% sure the guy I just talked with is a legit mob boss. We talked for an hour and boy, do I have some stories to tell. If I could.

My stress this week is at an all-time high, and I'm about ready to just crash and sleep for 24 hours straight. But alas. I cannot.

When I decided to accept this grad school offer, I gave a heads up to the real estate agent I worked with to get into my current house. She called a couple weeks ago and said if I was interested, she had somebody who wanted to buy it right now. I hadn't even listed it. I was nowhere near ready to move to my new city, and I haven't even started looking at houses there since school doesn't start until September. But for some crazy reason, I made the rash (hopefully not poor) decision to temporarily move my kiddo and myself in with my parents for the next 5 or so months. They live about half-way between my current city and my future city. I literally packed up my house in 3 days and was out. It was kind of nuts.

Now, I moved out when I was 17. Freaking SEVENTEEN. I'm 26 now, and I'll tell ya, I enjoy my freedom. (Maybe a little too much, since I got knocked up and all.) So it is majorly weird to be back at "home" after being out for almost 10 years. I thought it would suck, and honestly, I feel like a gigantic loser. But it hasn't been so bad. We're rarely home at the same time and it's more of a roommate vibe than parent/child one. I'll be saving about $1500 a month just in living expenses, so I'll be able to pay off a ton of debt before I have to move. Well, actually I don't have a lot of debt racked up, but I do have a couple small credit cards and student loans. Plus, I'll be able to save for rent (or down payment, still unsure whether I'm buying or renting there) + deposit + moving expenses for my new house. Everything else I can tuck away into savings, which heaven knows I need. So in reality, I think it was a responsible move just for the sake of saving my pennies before I become a broke grad student. Plus, Reagan is loving living with Grandma. She's in heaven. And I have to admit, it's pretty cool if I run out of milk at 10pm to say, "Hey, watch my kid while I run to Smiths," instead of bundling up a sleeping toddler and taking her out in 10 degree weather.

Really, that whole last paragraph was to justify to myself and everyone else that I'm not a loser for living back with my parents. But I know I am. Please just remember it's only for 5 months! Oh, and don't factor in that I threw an Avengers party for my dog...

Speaking of, Kobe's party went off without a hitch. About 25 people came, and most of them dressed up as a superhero. Yep, we're awesome. I'm at work, so I don't have pictures of the party with me. But I'll do a follow up post, because it truly was amazing. For a dog birthday party.
By punkgirl59
On Sat Mar 09, 2013 06:29 AM
I have a problem. A shopping problem. It's my biggest stress relief, and these days, I have a lot of stress. Ergo, I have a very, very bad shopping problem.

I'm justifying it by saying that I need to build up wardrobe of grown-up clothes. Up until now I have lived in either jeans and Chucks or scrubs. I have some nicer clothes for church or interviews or sometimes for work meetings. But since I have to start seeing clients this Fall and looking like I know what I'm doing, I decided I need a revamp.

Lately I've really overdone it at White House Black Market. I'd never actually shopped there before about a month ago, but they actually have some really good work staples. Recent purchases include:

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570067627_011.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570066344_1020.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570070747ext2.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570068861ext1.jpg'

The belt and dress come separately, but I bought the belt too...

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570072480_1111.jpg'

And this one...

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570068382_001.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570056733_023.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570068506ext3.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570074447_001.jpg'

And I think that's it. For now. Yeah...too much. I doesn't help that they're pretty expensive. They do have some decent sales, though. But that's just me justifying again.

Only 7 more hours until I can go home from the longest shift ever.
By punkgirl59
On Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:33 AM
I feel like the only time I ever update this thing is in the middle of the night while I'm at work. Probably because that's the only time I ever have to just sit and stare at the wall. The past couple months have been disgustingly slow on my night shifts, so I've pretty much exclusively been watching TV for anywhere from 6-14 hours a night. It makes me feel pretty lazy, but it's really the only time I ever watch anything besides Disney movies or Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. In fact, I'm running out of shows to watch now. I've never been really big into watching TV, so I just have some shows I bounce between. The only show I watch regularly is Grey's Anatomy. This winter, I've kind of been watching Glee, Bones, The Office, and a teensy, teensy bit of Downton Abbey. I'm trying hard to like it, but honestly it just kind of bores me. Maybe I just haven't gotten to the good part yet.

Any suggestions on what to watch (to the two or three of you reading this...)? I'm reallllllly not into sci-fi or anything remotely unrealistic (vampires, etc). I literally spend the whole show going "That would never happen, and that would never happen. And that's not possible. And that would definitely never happen." I'm way too much of a realist and watching fairytales/witches/vampires/aliens really just makes me pull my hair out. I know, I'm no fun. Anyway, knowing that, suggestions? I really prefer shows that I don't have to think about and can watch in the background. (Which I why I like Glee, I think I get dumber just by having it on, and I love that.)

I should be doing homework, but I'm watching Bones and surfing DDN and painting my nails. It's awful. I'm so incredibly unmotivated to do this mind-numbingly dull homework. I graduated in 2011 but I'm finishing up a second bachelor's degree just to pass the time and keep my mind active while I sit around and wait for grad school. I only had 12 credits left so I figured I might as well. I had no idea that the required classes I had left would make me want to carve my brains out. It's a degree in Human Development and Family Studies, and the two classes I'm taking this semester are both related to consumer studies. Economy, credit, automobile safety, FDA regulations, retirement, the history of the 401k, zzzz . SO. DULL. Some if it is useful although not at all interesting, but most of it just makes me want to be dead. This is the first time in my life (literally) that I have not cared about getting an A. Sometimes I'll know an assignment is due in 2 hours and I'll just go shopping or take a nap instead because I just don't care. It's awful. Maybe that's just because I already got into a grad program and they'll never see transcripts from these classes anyway. I cannot wait to get into a program where I'm actually interested in what I'm studying. Five more months!

That was a pretty whiny post, so I'll end on a happy note. Reagan's birthday is in just over a month, and I have a pretty rockin party planned for her. If MTV had a toddler version of My Super Sweet Sixteen, I'd totally be on it.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 PM
Sherlock! It's a fantastic show. Really.

I love the outfits- you definitely have good taste. I'm so excited for you and your new adventures... Best of luck :)
By punkgirl59
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 04:18 PM
Thanks Nyssa! I've actually heard that from a few people now. I'll definitely check it out next time I'm at work and report back.

I'm running out of things to buy Reagan. She is such a spoiled little girl, so it's hard to think of more presents to buy her for holidays and birthdays. Since Easter is tomorrow and her birthday is in less than a month, I'm pulling double duty trying to find enough useful gifts. I hate buying her stacks of toys just for the sake of getting her something, because she has SO. MANY. stacks of toys. Borderline ridiculous. I really want to think of things she'll actually use.

I got her this helmet yesterday for her tricycle (she's obsessed with puppies):

Image hotlink - 'http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eUAnHkUWL.jpg'

It's ridiculously cute and something she'll actually use. She got her trike last year for her birthday but refused to push the pedals, so the only way she'd ride it is if I pushed her around. Which I did not. This year, I'm determined to make her actually ride it.

I think I'll also get her a princess camera so she'll stop taking (and dropping) mine. She's quite the little photographer. Beyond that, I'm clueless. I hate shopping for Easter because I don't want to buy her a bunch of candy, but I also don't want to buy her a bunch of toys right before her birthday. This year I got her a few small candies, a big stuffed Pluto (her favorite character and self-proclaimed best friend), the movie Aristocrats, some Easter stickers, and a puppy Easter book. Oh, and of course a puppy Easter basket. I'm sure that's good enough since she'll get things from her dad and my parents too. But knowing me, I'll go spend more money on pointless Easter things this afternoon.

I'm such a sucker for that little stinker...
By punkgirl59
On Wed Apr 10, 2013 03:44 PM
I'm updating during the day, yippee!

It's 8:30am where I am and I'm 2 hours into a 16 hour shift. I could not be more tired. I slept terribly last night and so did Reagan (who has been sleeping in my bed...), so I think I totalled about 2 and a half hours before my alarm went off at 5am. Not cool. Now I get to find a way to spend the next 14 hours without falling asleep at my desk.

I've been in a great mood lately because it's finally baseball season! I'm extremely feminine, but baseball is one of my biggest passions. Correction, the Atlanta Braves are one of my passions. Few things cheer me up faster than a good Braves game. Plus, summer is my favorite time of the year, so a Braves game in 80 degree weather could not be more perfect. Love, love, love it. Opening day for us was April 1st, and we've only lost one game so far (that we really should have won), so our record is 7-1, which is the best in all the majors at the moment. Awesome start. So I'm counting down until 5:00pm today, because I can watch the game on my computer and that will kill 3 hours. This is our 3rd and final game of our series against the Marlins, and I feel a sweep coming. Anyway, I know nobody here cares about baseball, so that's enough about that. For now.

Reagan's birthday is coming along nicely. I finally got around to getting her a few presents. I decided to get her a LeapPad, I found a pretty fancy princess one and I think she'll like it. She already has a Nook for all of her books, but I think as far as learning and games, a LeapPad is more up her alley. This is the one I got:

Image hotlink - 'http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/708431603158_p0_v2_s600.JPG'

Seems pretty cool, I think she'll like it. I also got her a Littlest Pet Shop puppy beauty salon, toddler baseball and glove set (in pink, of course), 101 Dalmations, rollerskates and kneepads, and a Minnie Mouse game for her LeapPad. I'm also planning on getting her a new leotard while she's at her dance class tomorrow. She's been taking a ballet, jazz, and singing combo class and she's doing so well. I didn't think 2 and 3 year olds could follow directions well enough for an hour long dance class, but her teacher is awesome and the girls (and one boy) all dance really well. Her recital is next month and I can't wait to see how it goes.

In other news, I've been trying to brush up on my statistics before I start school again. I took stats and methods probably 3-4 years ago, and I have to take advanced stats my first semester of grad school and then obviously apply them to my research. I've been flipping through my old stats books and I'm pretty rusty. Not too excited about that but better to do it now than drown in the material and have to review like crazy the first week back, I suppose.

There are some big wigs from corporate coming into my office today, and I didn't know it until I got here. I'm glad I look somewhat presentable. I mean, we have to dress business casual anyway, so it's not like I ever roll in here in old jeans and a t-shirt, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't the first time I got up early enough to shower for the 6am shift. (P.S. They walked in right in the middle of that sentence, so I had to hurry to close all my browsers and look like I was working, whoops.) Anyway, since you're all dying to know, here's what I'm wearing today:

Something similar to this top:

Image hotlink - 'http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2012/06/all_american/black_white_blouse.jpg'

Tucked into this:

Image hotlink - 'http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/Product_Images/570074447_001.jpg'

With this:

Image hotlink - 'http://cdnd.lystit.com/photos/2012/08/03/hm-mustard-cardigan-product-1-4386275-816175000_large_flex.jpeg'

And these:

Image hotlink - 'http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DX0h%2BHmQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg'

And these:

Image hotlink - 'http://static1.heels.com/images/shoes/main_view/large/ZBP089_MAIN_LG.jpg'

And these:

Image hotlink - 'http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/RossSimons/464179?fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.3,1.1,4,0&rgn=0,0,2000,2000&scl=5.714285714285714&id=W6Yqc2'

So, yay for looking kind of put together at 6am. So, now it's 9:30 and I've wasted an hour typing this minus the break to talk to corporate and a run to the cafeteria for ice water. I'm going to attempt to work now, but something tells me I'll be back soon.
On Wed Apr 10, 2013 03:51 PM
^It's funny that you love the Braves. I've lived in Atlanta for 16 years and have been to all of one Braves game. Baseball is too boring for me. Football & hockey all the way. Give me sports where large men hit each other. ;)
By punkgirl59
On Sun Apr 28, 2013 01:32 PM
^You're crazy! I'd love to live in Atlanta again just for the games. In fact, one of the main reasons I was considering the University of Georgia for grad school was because of the close proximity to Turner Field. (Well, not close, but closer than Salt Lake!) Baseball is pretty much the only sport I can sit and watch, the rest bore me to tears. Which I realize is pretty backwards.

Well...my baby is 3. :( I still can't figure out how that happened. It seems like just yesterday that I swore off kids forever, and now I have a preschooler. So weird.

Her party was UH-MAZ-ING. Definitely my best one yet. So good, in fact, that it may need it's own thread, especially since I haven't done a proper Reagan update since birth...

But to satisfy your cute baby (or big girl) void for the day, I decided to leave you with my favorite party picture until I get around to making an actual post.

Isn't she beautiful?!
On Sun Apr 28, 2013 07:40 PM
^I had no idea you lived in Atlanta. Had you gone to UGA, I would've demanded a meetup. :D

And yes, Reagan is adorable. Her hair is to die for.
By ballerinatwirler
On Sun Apr 28, 2013 09:36 PM
She is too cute! She looks like a little princess!
By punkgirl59
On Sun May 05, 2013 11:02 AM
Thanks you two! She acts like a little princess, so it seemed fitting to dress her like one.

Pinup, my family is originally from Georgia (North of Atlanta in the Dawsonville/Dahlonega areas), but we moved to Las Vegas then Salt Lake when I was little. My dad's whole family is still around Atlanta so I visit at least once a year (although let's be honest, it's more for the Braves than the family). I love Athens and UGA but I just got a better offer somewhere else. I interviewed there in January but it was a quick trip so I'd like to come out later this summer. Next time I'm out there I'll let you know!

I'm at work again, surprise surprise. Basically my shift on Sundays is to babysit this guy I work with who my boss doesn't trust to be alone. He's been here around a year but still makes huge mistakes if someone isn't watching him. You'd think it'd be more productive to just fire him and hire someone who knows what they're doing, rather than paying two people to be here at once (plus, I get paid double what he does, so they're REALLY overpaying our shift). I pretty much just sit here, listen to him talk to clients, and make sure he isn't saying anything stupid or trying to give medical advice that will get us sued.

Yesterday I took Reagan to the zoo, which was pretty fun. The zoo here kind of sucks, but they're really trying hard to spruce it up. They opened a new exhibit for polar bears and otters and seals and other wintery type animals, so that was pretty cool. They're working on a new African Savanna exhibit that will have lions and stuff. We haven't had a male lion at our zoo in probably 10 or more years.

Anyway, when we got there I asked Reagan what animal she wanted to see and she said a bird. Um...ok. So glad I paid 20 bucks for you to see a bird when there's a freaking pigeon nest right outside your bedroom window. I tried to get her excited about the elephants (there's a baby elephant and a baby giraffe. So. Cute.), but she just kept insisting on finding a bird. There were some bald eagles sitting in a big nest, and she loved them. So much so that she picked the bald eagle to ride on the carousel (she usually picks the tiger or the kangaroo), and a stuffed bald eagle at the gift shop. Weird girl.

There was this little boy in a red Michael Jordan jersey that kept photo-bombing ALL the pictures I was trying to take of her. He was only 3 or 4 and I have no idea where his parents were, but I wanted to kick him. So that's why her face is weird in the monkey one (ape one, whatever). I made her stand there for a long time.

After that we went to dinner (Chinese, yum) then to my Aunt's to play with her kids. My aunt was only able to have one baby of her own (and it nearly killed her), but she was a foster parent and they've adopted 9 of their foster kids. So their biological daughter is 27 years old, and the others range from 5-25. Sheesh, talk about rough. But Reagan loves playing over there because she has a huge house with a huge playroom. Plus there's always kids and dogs and toys everywhere and her loud voice and craziness just blend right in.

When they went to bed, we went home (after stopping at the store for a treat), brought our pillows and blankets downstairs, put in 101 Dalmatians, and had a movie night. That lasted about half an hour til we were both passed out. Not a bad day.

No plans today, I'll probably stay at work til 4 or 5 then hang around with my girl and enjoy the fleeting good weather. Three days ago it was snowing, and today it's 75 and sunny. Oh, Utah.
By punkgirl59
On Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:48 AM
I haven't updated forever, so I'm just popping in to say that I had a completely terrible, miserable day. Ugh, I just want to punch something. Or someone.
By punkgirl59
On Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 AM
And here I am to expound on my cryptic earlier post, hooray!

I'm not typically one to air out my dirty laundry on any website, Facebook and blogs included, but jeez. I had a heck of a nasty week last week, so you guys get to hear all about it. I'll make this easier with vague, numbered items.

1. My 12 year old nephew was admitted to an adolescent inpatient psychiatric hospital for making suicidal comments, trying to jump out of a moving car, and running away in the middle of the night in an unfamiliar neighborhood. He's always had some issues with his temper and he's pretty emotional, but overall a really good kid. He just seems to be getting worse. I mean, he's TWELVE, and he's talking about suicide. Freaks me out. And his mom (my sister) is my best friend in the whole world, so it's so hard seeing her have to deal with this.

2. My brother and his wife had a beautiful little baby girl on May 31st. She was 3 weeks early, so they were keeping a good eye on her. She developed jaundice and was going to be put under lights at their home. Not a big deal, Reagan and a million other babies have had to do it too. Overnight, her bilirubin count shot up over 10 points within like half an hour, and they ended up airlifting her to our children's hospital in the middle of the night. My brother rode in the helicopter with her because his wife was hysterical. The doctors were worried about brain damage and my brother and his wife were both terrified she was going to die. She's doing better now, but it was a pretty scary night.

3. While my brother was in the NICU with his baby, they heard an explosion upstairs and everyone was freaking out, ready to evacuate the hospital. This was at like 2:30am. There were doctors and nurses all over the place, unhooking all these tiny NICU babies (they even had those aprons with the big pockets that you put the babies in), and ready to evacuate. The idiot nurses were suggesting it might be a bomb IN FRONT OF THESE TINY PATIENTS' PARERNTS WHO ARE ALREADY IN A FREAKING VULNERABLE POSITION WITH THEIR PREEMIE BABIES. I mean, come on. How stupid are you? So my brother was texting us all freaking out that there was a bomb in the hospital. It was like an episode of Grey's Anatomy. Turned out that a circuit blew, made a loud noise, and the sparks set off the fire alarm. No big deal, but again, scary at the time.

4. I never, ever talk about Reagan's dad on here, and this will probably be the only time. The whole custody situation stresses me out immensely, and last Tuesday we had to go to court. It really wasn't a big deal, it was just to settle basically what we've already been doing. But anything related to legal crap with my baby makes me so incredibly anxious. Literally, going to court over Reagan is, hands down, the most stressful thing I've ever done in my life (this was the 4th time we've been). I didn't eat for an entire day beforehand because I was so sick. Just the thought of having a complete stranger tell me when I can and cannot see my own baby is sickening. Ugh, so glad it's over. But I've never been so anxious as I was in the days leading up to it.

5. Tuesday morning, before court, my boss text me and just said "Call me ASAP." I text back that I was going to my hearing and I'd call later. On my home from court, she calls me. This is what she says:

"I just wanted to let you know that Mark (my CEO) and I met with corporate on Friday and they're cutting expenses so...we have to let someone go..." Then....silence.

I'm like, WTF, are you firing me?!?! She's like, "Oh, no, I'm just letting you know that we have to cut your hours. We're letting one person go and cutting everyone else's hours."

Ok, seriously, couldn't she have led with that? Or did she just want to freak me out by starting the conversation as if it's ME they're letting go? That was annoying enough, but the fact that I'm getting my hours cut is even more annoying. It's not by a lot, but I'm trying to save as much as possible before I move and become a broke grad student. Plus, I have seniority over 95% of the people I work with. Shouldn't I get to keep my hours and just let another part-timer go? Or at least just cut their hours? We just hired new people a few months ago, but now I'm getting my hours cut? Ughhhh.

So, that's my week in a nutshell. Throw in a couple petty fights with pretend boyfriend/best friend, PMS, and working one 20 hour shift and one 16 hour shift (which = absolutely no sleep), and it was one of my worst weeks to date.

Ahhhh that felt good to get out. I promise that's the last time you'll ever hear me complain!
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch