Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: These are the best days of our lives
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 11, 2013 06:46 AM
Excellent! Then I can meet the mysterious punkgirl :D

I've actually never been to Athens or UGA. About a third of my high school class went there and I refused to go to college with the same people I went to high school with. And as I said, I've been to all of one Braves game in 16 years of living here.
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:02 PM
EVERY time I see your diary, I have to sing the entire song.

I'm sorry you're dealing with a lot. Family stress can be horrible to get through, especially when you're dealing with babies and kids.
By punkgirl59
On Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 AM
Ha, mysterious? More like incredibly dull. I hope I don't disappoint! And one game in 16 years is atrocious, and needs to be remedied immediately!

Nyssa, thanks for the support! Thankfully things are calming down and my niece and nephew are both doing much better. It was just an incredibly harrowing week. Oh, and I get this song in my head every time I come here too. Then I end up listening to the entire album.
By punkgirl59
On Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:18 PM
I have a house!

Actually, I've had a house for about 3 weeks but I've been too busy to post about it. I wasn't planning on moving until next month, but the opportunity presented itself so I took it. It's a great price for the area, very close to my school, and it's SO. CUTE. I was debating whether to buy or rent, and decided to rent. Still not sure if that's the right choice.

Anyway, the thing about the city that I'm moving to is that it's really old. There's hardly any new development and the neighborhoods are all from the late 1800's or first half of the 20th century. There's some really beautiful structures, but everything is just soooo old. For the most part, I'm not into old stuff. I know there are a lot of people who like buy these older "vintage" homes with wood paneling and old fireplaces and fix them up...but I am so not one of them. Not my thing. I really like new, modern things.

Luckily, I happened across a newer townhome (and by newer I mean late 1990's...still not that new), and it's so stinking cute. I was looking specifically for a townhouse because I wanted a garage and a backyard without all the home and yard maintenance. It's all newly remodeled, with all hardwood floors, new paint and a new kitchen, and all new carpet upstairs. It's on the smaller side, but it has 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths and it's just me and my 3 year old and my puppy...so I really think it will be perfect for us.

Anyway, I walked through the place just casually looking and there were about 5 other couples looking at it as well. So I wasn't expecting much. The owner called me that night and basically said, "hey, can you move in Monday?" And I went, "Uh....ok." And I just picked up and moved.

I'm extremely excited to have my own place again even though I was only at my parents for less than 4 months.

Yay for new houses!
By punkgirl59
On Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:25 AM
For how busy I've been lately, I've been feeling very unproductive. So I'm making a list of everything I got done today:

1. Took Reagan to her preschool orientation
2. Cleaned the kitchen spotless (I hate cleaning my kitchen)
3. Finally finished unpacking downstairs stuff
4. Went through a whole bunch of boxes from college and threw a ton of crap away
5. Installed Reagan's new canopy over her bed
6. Washed everything from our weekend camping trip that still smelled like campfire
7. Interviewed a potential nanny
8. Took my sister and Reagan to lunch
9. Went grocery shopping
10. Went through all my court documents and finally emailed back my attorney
11. Updated my resume and sent it to my boss (after she demanded it from all of us for who knows what reason)
12. RSVP'd to the Graduate School dinner next month
13. Finally finished the ginormous paper my advisor sent me a month ago
14. Ordered clothes online for Reagan since she needs a whole new Fall wardrobe
15. Fed/bathed/dressed/entertained my kid in between all of those things

I've found if I break it down into tiny little accomplishments, it looks like I did a lot!

Reagan's preschool is incredibly fancy. We toured it today and met her new teacher and saw all her classrooms. They have a fully-functioning, "state-of-the-art" (their words, not mine) kitchen, that's really huge and is actually really, really nice. It's all stainless steel and designer cabinets and granite countertops, and it's about 10 times the size of mine. I'd kill for that kitchen in my house. Anyway, they have a cooking class in there twice a week to learn to cook/bake bread, muffins, healthy stuff, whatever. Then there's the computer/science room where they have a bunch of fancy MacBooks and ipads and some cool pets; History and foreign language where they're currently learning Spanish and German; Arts and crafts; music and singing; and then the normal classroom where they learn to read and write. She's 3, and she's learning things that I don't even know. Sheesh. The whole school is on complete lockdown, so the teachers come right out to the car to take the kids inside, and you have to have a security photo and pass to pick them up. Fancy schmancy.

She's so excited to start school, so that makes me feel a little better about being in this program and being gone a large portion of every day.

In other news, I have a cold, and it's pretty miserable. I felt it coming on last week, and then we went camping and slept in the freezing cold for 3 straight nights, then it exploded. Not cool.
By punkgirl59
On Sun Sep 29, 2013 09:10 AM
Another numbered list, because I'm too tired for a real post:

1. I survived my first month of grad school!
2. I mostly love it.
3. I've never been so busy in my life.
4. It's almost my birthday!
5. My kid is seriously getting smarter and prettier every day.
6,7,8,9,10. So. so. so. so. tired.
By punkgirl59
On Wed Oct 02, 2013 01:38 AM
I'm 27. :/
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 02, 2013 06:21 AM
^I'm 28. ;)

Getting older is required. Growing up is optional.
By punkgirl59
On Fri Oct 04, 2013 08:21 PM
^Believe me, even though I have a kid and I'm a PhD student, I'm as far away from grown up as possible! I guess 27 just snuck up on me. I still feel (and look...) like a little kid.

Don't have a ton of time, but I'll quickly update.

School is going great. It's kicking my behind, and it's sooooo much work. But the material is interesting and my cohort is great. I love the classes and faculty, and I get to see my first real live client next week!

I had a good birthday. Hot stone massage in the morning, hang out with my baby girl in the afternoon, and reservations with Spencer at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in the evening. I'd never been there, and it was delicious. Glad I didn't have to pay, though, it was freaking expensive! Anyway, perfect birthday with my favorite people.

In more important news, the Braves are in the playoffs and it's giving me an anxiety attack. We didn't play great yesterday and lost to the Dodgers 6-1. I was seriously so nervous I almost threw up. And then I was an angry witch the rest of the night. Thankfully, we won (and played beautifully) tonight, so now we're headed to LA for game 3, tied at 1-1. Seriously a nervous wreck.

Now it's Friday night and it's time to go play! And maybe do a tiny bit of homework.
By punkgirl59
On Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 AM
P.S. Didn't end up getting a lick of homework or studying done. But it was nice to go out with some people from school and have my first break since I started school a month ago. Anytime I'm not at school or work (yes, I'm the psycho who is still working through grad school), I spend every spare second with Reagan. And a lot of the time when I am at home with her, I'm still half playing with her and half reading articles. It's kind of hard to balance. So honestly, I felt a little guilty getting a sitter tonight and spending time not being with her OR doing work for school. But it was good for my mental health, and I hear sanity is a somewhat important thing to have in grad school. So, meh.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch