Forum: Irish / Irish Photos - Members

"New" Solo
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 PM

I actually finished my latest solo back in September, but I haven't gotten around to posting a picture of it yet.

I had a Feis last weekend and finally got a good picture of me in it (with all the bling).

I am pretty proud of the way it turned out. This was first attempt at this style :)

Thanks to iloveirishdance for the picture and for the fun times at the Feis!

20 Replies to "New" Solo

re: "New" Solo
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 PM
Ahhh! It's gorgeous and suits you perfectly! You should be VERY proud of yourself.

Did you get a new wig recently? The curls look a bit bigger and softer than I remember you wearing in other pictures...
By monkeybiz329member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:03 PM
Wonderful job! You nailed the proportions and I love the color. I hope it brings you a lot of luck!
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:20 PM
wow! you made that one? Very professionally done! The embroidery is particularly nice!
By Tansey
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 01:01 AM
What a beautiful dress! I love the color and the design. You must be a very talented seamstress. I hope it brings you lots of luck!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 01:43 AM
Ah! It's so pretty. You look great!
re: "New" Solo (karma: 1)
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone! It seems to have brought me a bit of luck. Before I took a break from solos last year I was at the bottom of the prelim pack, but since I came back in Sept with this dress I placed in my first 2 prelims (the bottom placement) and then was 1 away from placing in the next two. I seem to be firmly in the middle of the pack, which is definitely an improvement.

sjerose: I did get a new wig. It is a Seaneen from Emerald Key and I love it!

Hop_123: Thanks. The embroidery was actually done by hand guiding it through my regular sewing machine with a satin stitch. I wish I could afford a real embroidery machine or to send it out to be done professionally, but I figured since the embroidery was minimal, that my tried and true inexpensive method was fine :)
By Lunamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 08:29 PM
Wonderful job! I love the purple color and the knotwork detail.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 12, 2013 09:30 PM
Wow that's lovely!! I'm really impressed that you managed to do that embroidery without an embroidery machine. Love the color!
By luckyclover1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 02:15 AM
Beautiful dress, and congratulations on your prelim placements! :) May I ask what is underneath the skirt (what is the structure)?
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 05:24 AM
As I've said before (on FB) your dress is absolutely stunning! The colors are gorgeous, and the embroidery is just fabulous! I mean truly, just a knock out!
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 04:48 PM
luckyclover1 wrote:

Beautiful dress, and congratulations on your prelim placements! :) May I ask what is underneath the skirt (what is the structure)?

Thanks!

The skirt frame in the front is 2 layers of pellon 72 (covered in lavender satin) that is about half the length of the skirt. There is also boning along the edge (almost to the hem) to hold the skirt out at the sides. The back also has 2 layers of interfacing half the length of the skirt but it is a lighter weight interfacing than the front.

The skirt itself is one lavender ruffle that is sewn to the bottom of the frame and then a black layer (sewn a couple inches down from the waist) and then the top purple layer.
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 04:59 PM
It's gorgeous!! It suits you really well and seriously looks professionally made. Great job! Hope I get a chance to fawn over it in person later this year. :)
By ForReel
On Tue Mar 26, 2013 07:23 AM
That dress is amazing and looks good on you too. I like the minimal embroidery. I think it was a good design choice. Can you post a close up of the embroidery?
On Wed Mar 27, 2013 09:01 PM
Here are a couple of close ups of the embroidery that I took while the dress was still being constructed and blinged.
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 27, 2013 09:10 PM
I can't believe you did that embroidery with a regular sewing machine!! That's amazing, it looks so good!

I have a sewing machine that I use for only the most basic stuff, but now I think I've been inspired to get good enough to do embroidery with it!

You look fantastic in it!
On Wed Mar 27, 2013 09:18 PM
Thanks! I didn't always get it right on the first (or second or third!) try :) I am a bit of perfectionist. I also went over each line again once I was happy with it to make sure the embroidery was nice and thick.

I also used a clear tear away on the top to keep the velvet from poking through the stitches as well.
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 27, 2013 09:27 PM
Months from now (when I know what I'm doing with that machine!) I'm going to PM you about the specifics of all of that. Just as a heads up. :)
By AmericanAnja
On Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:59 AM
You MADE this??? Holy cow! I thought it was fabulous before I saw the comments about your talent. You did a phenomenal job!!!!
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 15, 2013 06:40 PM
WOW that's an amazing dress!!! Congratulations on making that!!!
You look very beautiful in it. Suiting for a beautiful dancer. How's dancing going since you moved by the way? (I seem to remember that you moved out of state a little while after I met you for the first time).
On Thu May 16, 2013 09:49 AM
Reidfidleir wrote:

WOW that's an amazing dress!!! Congratulations on making that!!!
You look very beautiful in it. Suiting for a beautiful dancer. How's dancing going since you moved by the way? (I seem to remember that you moved out of state a little while after I met you for the first time).

Thanks!

I did indeed move to California in 2006, shortly after we met. I sometimes get back to AZ for the occasional Feis, but since I just bought a house, money is a bit tighter so the out of state Feisanna will be cut down.

The dancing is going really well. I am currently in the least amount of pain than I have been in quite a while and I seem to be firmly in the middle of the &Over Prelim pack (which is an improvement from being firmly at the bottom).

Hope all is well with you!

ReplySendWatch