Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Crafts & Hobbies
need help with costume I am making
By RulerOfTheArts Comments: 1186, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 04:35 PM

Hi everyone, I want to make a lion's costume for a friend as a surprise for Halloween and need to buy horsehair for the mane. I am unsure though as to how much I need for it or what color would be best. This is the site i want to buy from: hairwork.com . . . because their prices seem really reasonable.

What choice should I make? I have it narrowed down to either medium sorrel or brown...the brown has reddish tones in it.Would that look realistic for a mane of a lion? Or is medium sorrel better? The mane hair available, I was told, is really thin and flimsy so I think I would stick with the tail hair.

I was thinking 1/4 pound, 30-33 inch..would that be enough?

3 Replies to need help with costume I am making

re: need help with costume I am making
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 08:29 PM
That's not even CLOSE to enough. 1/4 pound is like a tiny little pony tail. How are you planning to attach it? Ahy are you using hair, anyway? A lion's mane is FUR.
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 01:23 AM
I would be wary of using a real animal product for an item of clothing for someone else, as well. I know that I would be SUPER squicked out at the idea of wearing real horse hair, but if my friend had made the effort to make me a costume using it (as a surprise, no less), I would feel like I was in a really awkward and uncomfortable position.
By RulerOfTheArts Comments: 1186, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 08:18 PM
Edited by RulerOfTheArts (152924) on 2013-02-14 20:20:34
Edited by RulerOfTheArts (152924) on 2013-02-14 20:23:16
Well my friend told me he wanted to use horse hair for the mane..he wanted to make the costume but won't be starting it for a while; I wanted to to beat him to it and make it for him as a surprise. =)

I would never make a costume for someone else with real hair unless they specifically told me they wanted it; so that is what the situation is here.

I have been thinking 1/4 lb isn't enough...not sure how to attach it either...I think the best bet for me at this point is buy some horse hair and let him make his costume; at least I would have gotten him started with it!

ReplySendWatch