Forum: Gym / Gymnastics

Im 12 and i wanna start gymnastics is it to late? will i be made fun of?
By VioletPurple311
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 07:19 PM

So, im 12 years old and i wanna do gymnastics im not doing competition gymastics where i live they have this program called adv. girls where we dont compete or do meets we just do it for fun. i can't do a cartwheel. i can do a sitting forward not standing up. i can do a backbend laying on my back but not standing up i cant do a handstand.i cant do a split this adv. girls program has no levels and its for age 8 and up i think will i be made fun of. oh and do i wear underwear up under my leo. and do i wear a bra lol sorry im new at this gymnastics stuff im jsut scared that i will be made fun of im tall and skinny so i think i am going to be the only tall person and its going to be hard to do gymnastics

4 Replies to Im 12 and i wanna start gymnastics is it to late? will i be made fun of?

re: Im 12 and i wanna start gymnastics is it to late? will i be made fun of?
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 20, 2013 08:52 PM
I don't think you'll get made up fun of. Everyone has to start somewhere and you can't be expected to know how to do things (like backbends) without being taught first. It's awesome you found a gym that will cater to your age without expecting you to get to competition level (and maybe you will compete someday if you want to). The fact that you have good flexibility is great to start out. Strength and flexibility are very important in gymnastics. When I was your age, I didn't wear anything under my leotards, but I didn't need to. If you feel you need a sports bra, than by all means wear one. You want to be comfortable and not bouncing. Underwear is a personal choice. A lot of girls will wear nude color high cut briefs under their leotards (even Olympians). Are you allowed to wear shorts over your leotard? Short bike shorts were the norm in my gym when we weren't competing and most people found that more comfortable. I think you should give gymnastics a try and see if you like it, not worry about what other people think or what you are wearing etc. It's a really fun sport and now that I am an adult and am only involved as a fan, I miss it a lot.
By bellaftmaxi
On Sat Apr 13, 2013 08:13 AM
Well I don't think you shouldn't no one will make fun of you
By RobinBailey
On Wed May 15, 2013 05:28 PM
Of corse not! I started when I was 14 and once I got past the initial shock of being taller than my teacher (I'm tall for my age), I had tons of fun!!!
You seem like you've already got a head start, and if you stay determined you will improve quickly.
Don't be embarrassed, just be confident and have fun.
By jakejay
On Tue Jul 02, 2013 08:06 PM
I think it's great you want to start. Just be ready to practice a lot. Gymnastics is a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy it. :)

ReplySendWatch