Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Am I expecting too much? Dressmaker :(
By SparrowCatPremium member
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 AM

I'm in the process of getting my very first custom solo made. I booked in last year and agreed the work would begin on the dress in December, with a 2013 completion date. Hear from the dressmaker in Dec, place a deposit on the dress and sign a contract.

Some designing done, lots of input from me. Bits of communication, although I had possibly anticipated this.

Then, an email saying that sending swatches of fabrics, etc would be done hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

That was almost 5 weeks ago, and since that email, nothing. No emails, nothing turned up in mailbox, no communication even if it's to say 'sorry i'm busy'. I have no idea how at this stage, the agreed upon completion date could be met.

Feeling really hurt - I saved really hard for this dress, and I was really excited. How long do I wait for a response, or do I just start looking around for another dressmaker? I didn't want to post this here (and I will not name the dressmaker) - but I guess if they did see this post and respond, that would be something) - but how long should I 'wait'? I've emailed 4 or 5 times, my TC has now emailed, and I have left private FB messages.

Do I start looking elsewhere and give up my design and my deposit? :(

4 Replies to Am I expecting too much? Dressmaker :(

re: Am I expecting too much? Dressmaker :(
By krisinstitches
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 02:06 PM
So sorry to hear you're going through this!

Having "been there, done that" (but it ended up OK), I would do the following...

Send a fresh email (rather than replying to an old email, sometimes this helps) detailing what you have above, and how it is nearing your contracted date (assuming the DM has a contract they require, some may not), and you're concerned that it might not be met since you haven't even seen fabrics yet. State very clearly that if you do not receive a response back within XX days, you will have no choice but to find another dressmaker, and that you will pursue getting your deposit back.

Hope this helps, and you hear from the DM soon!
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:21 PM
I'd keep sending emails and, if possible, calling and keep having your TC e-mail. Honestly, it's kind of BS that you'd get no response after 5 weeks when you should have had the dress 1-2 weeks ago. I wouldn't let go of your design and deposit, honestly. HOWEVER I'd make sure you have something to wear in the meantime for upcoming feisanna. If you don't have a previous solo dress, I'd find one that maybe you can rent from a classmate who's trying to sell theirs, or find one here on DDN from someone in the same state/region who'd be willing to rent their dress out to you per/feis.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. That has to be INCREDIBLY frustrating, i'm so sorry!
By SparrowCatPremium member
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 PM
Thanks lovely people.

Just to clarify, the dress was not due to be sent yet - just the fabric samples, mock bodice, etc. No confirmation email that they have actually been sent, and no communication at all in regards to specific questions.

I did sign a contract - any experiences of others around dressmakers contracts? I want to honour the contract, and I am prepared that getting the deposit back may not be possible - but I guess what hurts the most is if the DM was to use my design and give it to someone else.

I also kinda feel like I don't want to cause a fuss and rant and rave, because my future dress is in her hands! And I'd like it to be made properly, with attention to detail, etc.. know what I mean?

Hmm. Thanks for listening, guys :)
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 07:39 AM
From your post, I'm not sure if you've sent an email about it at all, but I suggest you do so. When I was ordering a custom dress, the mock bodice for mine never showed up either, but when I emailed the dressmaker, she was actually about to email me inquiring if I ever got it since she never heard a reply. She very quickly sent out a new one and things continued on smoothly with the dress making.

Email the dressmaker. You don't have to "rant or rave" or anything, just inquire as to what's going on- it could be out of the dressmaker's hands like a postal mistake.

ReplySendWatch