Forum: Adults / Work/Employment

How do you write a reference letter for someone?
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 01:02 PM
Locked by Theresa (28613) on 2019-06-10 23:20:44 Old thread, I'm sure this has been resolved by now! :)

I was asked by a girl that I trained if I could write a reference letter for so she can get into college. I said that I would because she is super amazing and talented and deserves to get in that school. The bakery manager never trained her at all and they hardly worked together even so I am really the only person who could write it.

I have never had to do one of these before and I feel a lot of pressure. I don't want my poorly written letter being the reason that she does not get in.

Has anyone ever had to write one of these? What do you say in them? Should it be long with lots of explanation or short and to the point?

I do not even know where to start so any tips and advice is more then welcomed!

9 Replies to How do you write a reference letter for someone?

re: How do you write a reference letter for someone? (karma: 1)
By cthompson1474member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 09:01 AM
Edited by cthompson1474 (249884) on 2013-02-15 09:02:55
jobsearch.about.com . . .

The above link speaks generally on reference letters. It tells you how to address the person, what goes in each paragraph, and how to conclude. This seems to be based more on jobs then on college.

businessmajors.about.com . . .
This link will allow you to view ten sample reference letters specially written for college. It also gives different circumstances. First example is a reference letter for a student applying for an undergraduate BFA program.

If you need post your final copy when you are done. I'm sure DDN would not mind helping proof read it, I know I wouldn't mind.

:)

I copied the sample letter from an employer. This is from the second link I posted.

===Sample Letter of Recommendation===

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is my personal recommendation for Cathy Douglas. Until just recently, I have been Cathy's immediate supervisor for several years. I found her to be consistently pleasant, tackling all assignments with dedication and a smile.

Besides being a joy to work with, Cathy is a take-charge person who is able to present creative ideas and communicate the benefits. She has successfully developed several marketing plans for our company that have resulted in increased revenue. During her tenure, we saw an increase in profits that exceeded one million dollars. The new revenue was a direct result of the plans implemented by Cathy.

Though she was an asset to our marketing efforts, Cathy was also extraordinarily helpful in other areas of the company. In addition to writing effective training modules for sales representatives, Cathy assumed a leadership role in sales meetings, inspiring and motivating other employees.

I highly recommend Cathy for employment. She is a team player and would make a great asset to any organization.

Sincerely,

Sharon Feeney Marketing Manager ABC Productions

===Sample Letter of Recommendation===
re: How do you write a reference letter for someone?
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 09:03 AM
Edited by Mendel (123270) on 2013-02-15 09:51:43
Edited by Mendel (123270) on 2013-02-15 09:52:10
Edited by Mendel (123270) on 2013-02-15 09:55:20
Go to the HHMI website and you'll find a 19 page document entitled "Writing a Letter of Recommendation." Some of it is only relevant to academic science, but some bits of advice are universal, such as "introduce yourself and the candidate," and "address the requirements of the position."

Edit-- in science, recommendations are often "ghost-written" by the direct supervisor (often a grad student or post-doc) and signed by the professor. Would it be possible for you to write the letter, and have the bakery manager sign it (to avoid the complications that Moonlitefairy has brought up)? In that case, the correct order of operations would be for the girl to request a letter from the bakery manager, and to tell the manager that you know her work the best and that you'd be happy to "help" write the letter. The manager should get the hint.
By misslibby
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 04:20 PM
I wouldn't write more than a page.

I just wrote one if you would like a copy of it, PM me your email address.

These are the things I included

1. How long you have known the person you are writing a reference for and in what capacity.

2. Good points
3. Things to improve on
4. More good points

5. I always add my email address in at the end, in case they need further clarification.

I think the most important thing is to tell the truth.

PM me if I can help more.

Good luck :)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 04:22 PM
Is she an older student? Does she not have high school teachers that could write her a letter? Please don't take any offense to this, I know that it is common especially with non traditional students to have letters of reccomendation from managers, but you haven't been to college yourself so I'm not sure if you writing her a reccomendation for college would really be all that helpful to her. You've been given some good links on how to do it, and I think it's very nice of you to be writing a reference for her, I'm just not sure if it's in her best interest. But if she has other letters from teachers etc and this is just an extra one (I had an extra one from my dance teacher in addition to 3 from my high school teachers) then I guess it couldn't hurt to give a purely professional, not academic viewpoint of the person.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 PM
One needs to be from a previous trainer from where she worked. The schools wants to know how easy she is to train and how well she takes directions. They also want it submitted electronically. Neither of us talk to our old manager. I had a falling out with her and she never really cared about this girl to start with (giving her terrible shifts, telling me to tell her she was doing things wrong, not training her at all, ect...) which is why I think she asked me too. She will also get one of her college teachers to write one. She is switching schools for her second year so it is a bit different then if she were applying for first year.

Also it is totally from a professional view and not at all academic.

Thank you for the links! I will check them out for sure. I have never been good at writing so doing this makes me nervous. It seems to be a lot easier then I was thinking though so that is good.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:08 AM
You should have a few of us on DDN check the reference letter before you send it out. Just draft it up and I am sure some of us would be willing to proof it for you. You can PM me anytime about it.

Comment #10250204 deleted
Edited by Copenhaver (322911) on 2019-03-11 07:33:00
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2019-03-12 22:24:35 Spam

Comment #10250451 deleted
Edited by HarveyPerkins (325896) on 2019-05-31 05:00:52
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2019-06-10 23:21:18 Spam

By ChristinePremium member
On Fri May 31, 2019 11:02 AM
"Every piece of writing I was ever needed was ordered here."?

Oh my.... spam much?

How to these spam trolls gain access to these old posts? This is from 2013!

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed