Forum: General / Travel

Travel
Traveling Money Help
By Dancecutie38 Comments: 442, member since Sun Jan 18, 2004
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 04:23 PM

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post on here because I have a question if anyone could help me. Kind of a silly question but still wanted to ask. Okay, so you you pay for your plane ticket..hotel (sometimes you pay for your hotel there? But then if you want to have money for shopping,going out,etc on your trip should you carry a separate credit card.. or how much in cash should you take out? I am just trying to budget and am interested in knowing what you all do!

this is kind of general and if nooone understand what i am talking about let me know and i can reexplain it! thanks!

thanks,

erin

1 Replies to Traveling Money Help

re: Traveling Money Help
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sun Feb 17, 2013 09:56 AM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2013-02-17 09:58:03
It depends on a lot of things, but where you're going is the biggest. Anywhere that's well-developed, either in tourist infrastructure of just an industrialised country, I usually just bring two credit cards (in case something is wrong with one of them, although I always let my companies know I'm traveling so my card won't get frozen), my debit card (in case I need to make a cash withdrawal for something that only takes cash...but I try not to use this because my bank charges a pretty high fee for international withdrawals), and a couple hundred dollars worth of small bills of the local currency (for tipping and small things so I don't have to use my credit card to buy a coffee or whatever.) if I'm going somewhere that doesn't accept cards everywhere ( like when i was in Namibia) I get the local currency ahead of time (and keep checking the rates so I get a good one) and carry it in two money belts with one on each hip under my clothes, enough so I can plan to never use my cards at all in case I can't (but I do use them when possible.) In this second case, I get about $200 worth of the local currency per day, as this is enough to cover my personal spending habits.

ReplySendWatch