Forum: Disco / Disco - Official Rules

Disco - Official Rules
rules on weights ?
By Summersummerfun3 Comments: 40, member since Sun Aug 12, 2012
On Mon Feb 18, 2013 02:39 PM

what are the rules on weights
can a dance teacher use them on his pupils ???

4 Replies to rules on weights ?

re: rules on weights ?
By Jessie54 Comments: 243, member since Sun Aug 28, 2011
On Tue Feb 19, 2013 09:25 AM
The only rules on weights are that they can not be worn to competitions.

In terms of using them in class, if you are not happy, then as a parent you should advise the teacher that you do not want your child to use them. If the teacher is not willing to compromise then you have to consider if it is the right environment for your child.

They are used in my daughters class for short periods of time for certain exercises. Some of the younger and less experienced children don't use them - the beginner class doesn't use them at all.

I believe that weights are safe if they are used correctly for short periods of time - it is when they are too heavy and are used too much that they become an issue

Jillian x
By JoandBecks Comments: 448, member since Thu Sep 03, 2009
On Fri Feb 22, 2013 01:21 AM
Weights have been banned from competitions.
That means that dancers can not warm up using them.
I'm sure that there are still schools that will continue to use them during training. At my daughter's school they have never been used during class, but some dancers have used them to warm up before class.
Personally, I've never wanted my daughter to use them. She's worked with out them & her strength & jumps are her strongest point. I don't think that weights would have benefited her, & I believe the potential damage wasn't worth it.
Weights can not be used at any competition venue.
It is up to you to decide if you want your child to train with them.
For me, I say NO, your choice is your own.
Jo xx
By JoandBecks Comments: 448, member since Thu Sep 03, 2009
On Fri Feb 22, 2013 01:25 AM
As our dance school has grown, we've got an influx of young dancers & none of our new dancers use weights.
They're all doing really well & improving all the time.
Hope it helps,
jo xx
By summersmummie Comments: 355, member since Wed Jul 13, 2011
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 06:34 PM
i cant say im for them or against them...personally for summer i made the decision not to use them as she does fine without! have seen others do so in comp class etc. her teacher has never mentioned using them so until she does i wont be reconsidering my decision.

think you have to make the right choice for your child, i worry how freestyle as a whole is putting strain on summers little body.

samantha x

ReplySendWatch