Forum: Twirling / Twirling

Baton Twirling Lessons
By Krandalyn
On Thu Feb 21, 2013 06:45 AM
Edited by Krandalyn (200887) on 2013-02-21 06:46:55

I was just wondering if any teachers out there are willing to teach baton twirling lessons to someone who is not a white female age 6-18? Some teachers say they will give private lessons. Then when they realize the student is not a white female under age 19, they give the cold shoulder like they do not want the student to return. There is always an excuse or they simply ignore your email to request additional lessons.

The money should spend the same way no matter who it is from. Is there fear of being around someone who does not fit the image of what a baton twirler should look like?

Do they fear being seen by family and friends with someone who is different?

I would really like to know what the issues are if baton twirling is officially open to anyone who is not a young white female.

11 Replies to Baton Twirling Lessons

re: Baton Twirling Lessons
By Krandalyn
On Thu Feb 21, 2013 02:29 PM
It can seem like nothing to reject a boy from taking lessons - or someone who is Spanish - or whatever race - or age - or size - but to the person who is rejected, the sting of the pain is very real.

Sometimes people who are active in their church and teach baton still reject people from lessons.

It causes people to second guess and think twice about even asking for lessons. DVD's are fine, but sometimes it helps to have a real person watching for technique.

Even when teachers are told in advance that someone is not the typical white girl under age 19, they still say to come anyway for the first lesson. Then just have a different attitude when they actually see the student.

I wonder if there is fear that the baton twirling champions and feature twirlers may not always be white like some people seem to think it should be.

If nothing else, the teachers could charge the non-white students more. Maybe then everyone would be happy. Unless cold hard cash from a non-white person is dirty money.
By RosettaPremium member
On Thu Feb 21, 2013 05:35 PM
Has this issue happened to you personally?

As an instructor, I would NEVER deny someone from taking lessons strictly due to race, gender, or age. I am a big supporter of diversity! I am also ecstatic when anyone wants to take lessons because I want to help keep the sport of baton twirling alive. All of my classes are open to both boys and girls. I also offer a class designed for adult beginners.
By TheAbbyTwirlsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 21, 2013 09:21 PM
Personally, I am extremely sorry if you have been discriminated in this sport. Yes, about 99% of girls participating in this sport are white, but I think diversity is definitely needed in order to help this amazing sport grow.
As a teacher, I would never discriminate against anyone taking lessons based on the way they look. I welcome anyone and everyone as long as they have a positive attitude, practice hard, and are honest.

I am not sure where your location is, or what skill level you are in baton, but I offer free youtube tutorial videos. My channel is not much yet, but I have a lot in store. So, if you are looking for lessons check it out! youtube.com . . .

Good luck in all of you endeavors and I hope you will continue to twirl no matter what!

Twirl on!

--Abby
By vnhsdance
On Fri Feb 22, 2013 03:23 AM
To me, the race or figure of the twirler makes no difference to me. There are plenty of girls out there that do not fit the "traditional" body type, and are still excellent twirlers. And race is not an issue at all.

The age is a bit more concerning. If they are over 19, and are very, very determined to learn to twirl, and have a strong reason and desire, I suppose that's one thing. But if they are truly just starting out at that age... it would give me pause. I'd fear it'd take quite some time to get down the fundamentals, and unless they already had a lot of dance experience behind them already, they'd most likely fall behind on bodywork, too. By the time they'd master the skills, they'd be in their early to mid 20s... and really, by then, most other twirlers have aged out after twirling for years already. There are extremely few beginners in the 20+ age category, and it could be setting up someone for embarrassment. And it's not like there's really a big career in twirling after the fact, unless you become a teacher.

But again, if someone of that age had a strong desire nevertheless, then more power to them. But I'd have to be really convinced of their reasons.
By CoachT
On Sat Feb 23, 2013 01:08 AM
I hope your post is not a personal experience. Because if so thats shameful. I have students off all ages....up to 30yrs old on my senior team. I guess it depends on what someone is looking out of baton - but I don't care about, race, sex, age etc. If you want to twirl - I would teach you.
By Crazy_Twirler
On Fri Feb 22, 2013 06:44 PM
Edited by Crazy_Twirler (182684) on 2013-02-22 18:49:00
I believe anyone, and I don't care if they're green and 91, should be able to learn to twirl. Yes, it's true that not everyone is going to be a competitive champion, but everyone can learn to the best of his/her ability. It really depends on what you want to get out of the lessons. Do you want to compete? Do you want to have fun? Do you want greater physical fitness?

And, I'm 27 and have been twirling since I was six. I twirl mostly for recreation 5-10 (probably around 7) hours/week because competition is a time-consuming endeavor. Heck, I just do two baton and still feel like I don't have enough time:);)
By louisa
On Sat Feb 23, 2013 03:59 AM
Perhaps you shouldn't take this all personally. It is very expensive to teach baton and sometimes instructors have to use a limited amount of space and time on private students that they feel will grow and excel. They perhaps are not even charging enough to cover their costs.

If you are determined, just keep asking and keep searching for lessons.
By twirldad
On Sat Mar 09, 2013 04:20 AM
I feel bad that you experienced this. I have never heard of anyone not accepting a new student, but if you've had that happen to you, it's not the norm. I hope you will continue to look for someone to teach you and don't let the one experience be the lasting impression of twirling and/or twirling coaches.
By twirldad
On Sat Mar 09, 2013 04:21 AM
I feel bad that you experienced this. I have never heard of anyone not accepting a new student, but if you've had that happen to you, it's not the norm. I hope you will continue to look for someone to teach you and don't let the one experience be the lasting impression of twirling and/or twirling coaches.
By Krandalyn
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 01:40 PM
I always wanted to participate in baton twirling competitons. I did not live close to an advanced level instructor. I did learn the basics for an instructor who later moved away. For a long time, most of the contests had an age 20 limit.

There were a few adult opportunities that I could participate in. All I wanted to do was to improve my scores. I just wanted to learn some new material. I was not looking for any scholarships, auditions or anything like that. I just wanted to improve on what I had learned.

I thought that a former Miss America or someone who has taught since before 1980 would be accepting. I drove hours for lessons. I thought why not learn from the best to improve. I informed them of my age in advance. I assumed I should not be just sitting upon the seat of do nothing if that is not what I wanted to do.

I have always heard that if you need help to not be ashamed to ask. I honestly saw nothing wrong with asking for help.

The message was clear - "Don't ever contact me again." My emails were ignored. I was treated like I was worthless. Like I was just a waste of time to them. I started to fear a restraining order if I ever made contact again. One side of the mouth said, "Come back" the other side said "Not with me you won't."

Now I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I ever asked for help. I feel so stupid. I thought nothing was wrong with wanting to not be alone at a large competition. I would be alone while everyone else has a coach and or baton friends.

Maybe they thought I was not in the country legally or my race should be a welfare queen or in jail - anywhere... just not in the baton twirling world.

I guess I have to decide if I want to stop when I say stop - not quit just because someone thinks I should.
By louisa
On Wed Apr 03, 2013 03:53 PM
Don't put yourself down. Obviously you did not find a coach that was good enough for YOU. Where there is a will, there is a way!

ReplySendWatch