Forum: Adults / 30 Something

30 Something
Need opinions on getting Zumba certified...
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Feb 24, 2013 05:33 AM

So, for some time now, I'd been ear marking the remainder of my Christmas money to go through Zumba instructor training.

Not because I'd spent alot of time taking Zumba and had really fallen in love with the program, not because I'd gotten great results with it or anything, but simply to diversify as an instructor and what I was able to teach.

But in the mean time (they don't have an instructor training I can get in to until April...), I've started to doubt this decision. There's a high amount of Zumba instructors in my area (although not the specialties, which are another several hundred bucks a pop to get licensed in), and there doesn't seem to be a especially compelling need for it at my studio (although I have a guaranteed job in it, my SO has already told me. Well, maybe not job, because if no one signs up I don't get paid, but I guess I have a guaranteed place to teach.), or in the job postings I see on Craigslist.

Should I go ahead and get Zumba certified, or find something more practical to spend my money on (in the mean time, I've been promoted to Social Media Director for the studio, so if the money doesn't go to Zumba, it's very likely getting put toward an iPad to help me with that job...).

7 Replies to Need opinions on getting Zumba certified...

re: Need opinions on getting Zumba certified...
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6819, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Sun Feb 24, 2013 05:45 AM
One of my teachers got certified and at first it seemed like a great idea. However, I can't really say it did a whole lot for her. It seems like the "benefits" are kind of marginal...discounts on merchandise, website e mail address...stuff like that. I know a SO at a competing studio made a big deal about it, but honestly, it seems like the only people really making out on this are the people selling the "certifications".

Beyond her experience, I don't have anything first hand to report, but personally, I'd buy the i pad.

I am sure you are perfectly capable of conducting a "Dancercise" class to Salsa music, using "just 4 basic steps", without the Zumba trademark. Just my opinion....

I'll PM Brittany and see if she'll weigh in on this for you. I know she has lots of experience.

Good luck

Keep On Dancing*
re: Need opinions on getting Zumba certified... (karma: 1)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 PM
Edited by majere (186163) on 2013-02-23 23:35:35
Edited by majere (186163) on 2013-02-23 23:36:47
In your situation here is what I would do. Send out a survey to the parents at the studio, to see if there is any interest in a Zumba class starting in say May (to give yourself time to learn or choreograph the routines...I only had two days to prepare for my first class... I did manage to do it, but it would have been better with more time). If there is enough interest go for it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my training. Actually I loved it. I didn't expect to, I had never even gone to a Zumba class before. I was also one of the hardest (physically) things I've done. I've danced for 8 hours before, but I've never done cardio for 8 hours before. I loved my ZES, she was funny and told some very endearing stories. It was a great experience and I don't regret going.

That being said, there has been a few fiascoes in trying to get a place to teach. You may have read bits and pieces of them. I had a guaranteed position at a studio I taught at. Only one person showed up and she ran away (literally). I did have a temporary job (trial period for a factory) for a while and I loved it. Medium sized and they seemed to enjoy it (I had a guy in the front row who sang to every song). Now the current place (I know you've read about this one). One student, one time. Owner cancelled a ton of classes and moved them around no success. I'm giving it one last chance with an evening class next month (if no one shows I am out).

I am hesitant to strike out on my own and rent some space. I'm not comfortable enough with what little I make at my regular job to risk to loss of renting and not getting enough (or any!) students.

If I were you I'd weigh the pros and cons. Survey your potential clients and make a judgement call on if the experience would be worth it even if you don't end up teaching.

Side note. ZIN membership. It is awesome. If you are not a ZIN member you have to re-take your B1 every year. You have a year to sign up for ZIN. They send you CDs, DVDs, choreograph, a quarterly magazine, and you get access to their forums (which I love and are the main reason I'm still ZIN...and I love getting mail).

I know someone who took the Zumba training and then did their own thing. She doesn't use the Zumba name or music. Once she saw how it was done she created her own dance fitness class. That is a possibility too. She has a pretty big group.

I might have left some of my points out... feel free to ask me any questions.

EDIT: It is a license not a certification.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Feb 24, 2013 05:16 PM
I posted a survey to our facebook page. We have one other lady who is also certified. She's done some work as a sub around her work, but doesn't seem to have persued turning it into a class at our studio (which again, goes back to that there doesn't seem to be a compelling interest at our studio). But I made sure to state, repeatedly, that my asking if people were interested was strictly for my own interest. If we're friends on facebook, you'll probably see the survey, haha...
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 02:03 AM
Something to keep in mind- you have to become a member of ZIN which is $30/month or re certify every year. So if you're not teaching/making money it will still be costing you.
I wouldn't do it unless you were sure you're going to teach it regularly. Aside from the training there is a large time investment involved in choreographing enough routines to fill an entire class.
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 04:07 AM
So far I got three responses - one yes they'd take class, one maybe, and one "Hey, I've been thinking about certifying too!"

That's not very positive, as far as getting a return on the investment goes...
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 04:44 AM
Theresa wrote:

So far I got three responses - one yes they'd take class, one maybe, and one "Hey, I've been thinking about certifying too!"

That's not very positive, as far as getting a return on the investment goes...

Yeah, that doesn't sound too good. It might not be worth it. It is quite a great experience, but going into it with out much hope for a class... it doesn't seem like the best idea right now.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Mon Feb 25, 2013 07:17 AM
As I see it, the big question is whether or not Zumba or any kind of dance aerobics class would be feasible at your studio and/or elsewhere in your community. It's a marketing question. I suggest responding to some of those Craig's List ads, and if at all possible talking to lots of people on the subject. Do some research to see how much Zumba, Jazzercies, Jackie Sorenson's aerobic dance, etc. is offered in your community. If there is truly a need for this type of class, and if there is classroom space during an optimum time when this can be offered, then go for it.

There is often an advantage to being able to use the Zumba or Jazzercise or whatever name. But some people do OK under their own name.

Another consideration -- the franchises offer you choreography. If you are a busy teacher with other classes and just don't have time for any more choreography, well, a franchise can be the practical route to take.

I suggest advertising and trying out an aerobic dance class of your own making if your SO will let you have studio space for free for a while to see if this will fly at your studio, and maybe at some other Craig's list places who have advertised for a Zumba instructor but would be willing to take a similar instructor. Then if it looks like the demand is there but you don't have the ongoing time for choreography sign up with a franchise.

ReplySendWatch