Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Supplements
By Garnet_Juliet
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 09:01 PM

Do you take supplements? What do you take, in what form, and how often? Do you feel they are beneficial?

I take a multivitamin for women over aged 45. I'm 33 but the vitamins for older women have less, or zero, iron. Iron makes me constipated.

It could be psychological but I feel like I have more energy on days when I take my vitamin.

This particular vitamin also has an additional non-essential vitamin/mineral blend of supplements like green tea extract, black cohosh, ginko biloba, wheat germ, cranberry extract, collagen, choline, fish oil, etc etc. but those are all in such small amounts I doubt they matter much.

I do take extra fish oil as well. I feel no difference but I hear it's good for you so I take it.

I used to take acetyl L-Carnitine because I heard it improved metabolism of fats and improved muscle performance. That might have been true. I ran out of them and haven't bought them again but I believe in them.

25 Replies to Supplements

re: Supplements
By kandykanePremium member
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 09:38 PM
I take a liquid calcium supplement with D. The liquid is easier on my stomach than the pills. I also take glucosamine and chondrointin. I am looking for some gel pills or a liquid form for the same reason, my stomach. And I take a sublingual B complex.

kk~
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:45 PM
Omega 3, Vitamin D, Multivitamin for women under 50.
By Live_on_Broadway
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 PM
I take iron and B12 (doctor recommended), and occasionally a women's multivitamin.

I sometimes get tired/dizzy when my iron is low, but other than that, I don't really notice a huge difference if I take my supplements or not.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 PM
I take a pregnancy and breastfeeding multivitamin (as I'm still nursing M, and they're over the counter supplements here), plus a glucosamine/fish oil capsule. I can definitely feel it when I've been lax with taking the glucosamine!
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 PM
I take a multivitamin, flax oil, vegetarian DHA, b12 and D. I also take whatever I get free at work (health food/supplement industry), so right now I'm doing a 15 day cleanse (8 pills a day of various herbs) and the kyolic garlic supplement for heart health. I've been feeling a little weak/tired lately, so I'm thinking I may add a (low dose) iron supplement in as well.
By MonkeyStepsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:59 PM
I have trouble getting enough calcium so if I've not made it to my goal that day I'll take some.
By xBallet_babex
On Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:22 AM
Being up north, I take vitamin D a few times a week in the winter. I also take a probiotic a couple times a week since I'm on medication, but I alternate between a good yogurt and the capsules since they are SO expensive. I hate milk so I'm looking at getting a calcium and Vitamin D supplement. Sometimes I buy the kids gummy bear vitamins and take 2 a few times a week. I'm not really that consistent (obviously), but my diet is fairly good and I've had a lot of health tests done in the last 6 months and everything was good. I'm an everything in moderation person, even with my vitamins. And when in doubt, I ask my doctor what I should be taking.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:12 AM
I take a women's multivitamin and extra Vitamin D as per my doctor. Not really sure the multivitamin does anything, but the Vit D has really helped my immune system!
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:54 AM
I take liquid Iron, Omega 3, Magnesium, biotin & Spirullina tablets.

Iron is because I am deficient in it. Omega 3 for brain function. Magnesium because I'm prone to muscular cramps in my toes and legs, biotin for my hair and nails and spirullina for energy and appetite control.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 03, 2013 09:54 AM
I'm on magnesium to help with my migraines, and my muscle cramping. I also take a multiVitamin and Vitamin D. Sometimes I'll take additional iron if Ive been pulling long shifts and exhausted.
By OneGiantLeap
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 04:52 PM
I don't take any supplements at the moment. I try to eat well and get what I need from my food.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 05:08 PM
I have a Berocca every now and then. I know that, in Sheldon's words, all I'm doing is purchasing very expensive urine. But whether it's a placebo or not, honestly, a Berocca when I'm hanging is a godsend. Other than that I don't take anything although my mom occasionally reminds me I should be taking glucosamine for my joints.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 05, 2013 05:11 PM
I take Biotin for my hair/nails. I really need to be taking glucosamine too, hmmm.
By Garnet_Juliet
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 03:31 PM
Do you think the biotin has noticeable effects? What's the dosage?

I've often heard that you have to take vitamins with meals and to avoid taking them with coffee - that caffeine will inhibit your body's absorption of some things. Don't know if that's valid.
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 05:26 PM
I take Biotin now too, since I'm trying to grow out my hair (specifically, my bangs). I take the solgar brand, 10,000 mcg. As far as I know, it's the highest on the market.

A word to the wise, in terms of supplements. Get them from a store that actually specializes in them, not the crappy section of Walgreens. GNC, Vitaminshoppe, a local food/supplement co-op, Whole Foods, etc. Or, if you're knowledgeable about decent brands, you can get good deals online.
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 05:32 PM
I take it in 5,000mcg caplets. I've been taking it for several wekes now and have noticed a difference in how fast my hair and nails grow, and the strength of my nails. It does not, however, differentiate between hair I want to grow and hair I don't want to grow, so I do have to pluck my eyebrows and shave more often. :) Just a warning, I have heard people complain about getting breakouts from using it. My skin is just fine with it, but it does happen.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 08:47 PM
Garnet_Juliet wrote:

I've often heard that you have to take vitamins with meals and to avoid taking them with coffee - that caffeine will inhibit your body's absorption of some things. Don't know if that's valid.

I've never heard of the caffeine thing before but you should definitely take your vitamins with meals. As my 9th grade biology teacher put it "the vitamin needs to hitch a ride with your food". Taking a vitamin on it's own can also make you feel sick to your stomach.

As for me, I take a woman's multivitamin (one a day brand) for the past couple of months. I've been pretty good lately about taking it everyday. I started taking it when the flu had gotten bad especially since I take public transportation. I figured it couldn't hurt to help with the immune system. I'm also hoping it will help with my nails as I've redone my gel nail polish a bit too many times and they got brittle (from the acetone to take them off).
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 PM
Moonlitefairy06 wrote:

Garnet_Juliet wrote:

I've never heard of the caffeine thing before but you should definitely take your vitamins with meals. As my 9th grade biology teacher put it "the vitamin needs to hitch a ride with your food". Taking a vitamin on it's own can also make you feel sick to your stomach.

As for me, I take a woman's multivitamin (one a day brand) for the past couple of months. I've been pretty good lately about taking it everyday. I started taking it when the flu had gotten bad especially since I take public transportation. I figured it couldn't hurt to help with the immune system. I'm also hoping it will help with my nails as I've redone my gel nail polish a bit too many times and they got brittle (from the acetone to take them off).

A daily pill organizer is an easy way to remember to take your pills! I have a lime green one :)

I also take daily meds that I actually need to remain fully functioning, so that makes it easier as well...but if I'm tired, it's sometimes hard to remember if I've taken my pills or not, so my daily organizer is the perfect way to double check -- if the pills are gone, I've taken them, and if they're still there, I haven't. I fill it up Sunday night (since it's a Sunday through Saturday design) with all my pills that I need to take each day, and then I'm good for the week!

Just a tip.
By bigTreblemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 25, 2013 04:39 AM
I'm a big fan of giving your body what it needs, but I'm not a big fan of supplements. Why not just get those vitamins and nutrients from actual food?

Many studies have shown that once the good stuff is isolated and processed for vitamins, they lose a lot if not all of their benefits. (Here's a good article on this: www.takepart.com . . . )

Michael Pollan's mentioned in the article, and he puts the whole thing really eloquently. You don't need the Lycopene, you need the Tomato.

As human beings, we are always looking for the quickest easiest option. (I'm definitely guilty of this!) But in most cases, those options are not the effective ones, and I really think taking supplements is one of those cases.

Just get the nutrients from healthy whole foods and you'll feel great! :)
re: Supplements (karma: 1)
On Mon Mar 25, 2013 06:04 AM
bigTreble wrote:

I'm a big fan of giving your body what it needs, but I'm not a big fan of supplements. Why not just get those vitamins and nutrients from actual food?

Many studies have shown that once the good stuff is isolated and processed for vitamins, they lose a lot if not all of their benefits. (Here's a good article on this: www.takepart.com . . . )

Michael Pollan's mentioned in the article, and he puts the whole thing really eloquently. You don't need the Lycopene, you need the Tomato.

As human beings, we are always looking for the quickest easiest option. (I'm definitely guilty of this!) But in most cases, those options are not the effective ones, and I really think taking supplements is one of those cases.

Just get the nutrients from healthy whole foods and you'll feel great! :)

The problem with this is that it can be difficult, if not nearly impossible, to get all your nutrients from food. Not everybody has access to an abundance of fresh, healthy food. Not to mention, while commercial farming is awesome at feeding large numbers of people (it's perhaps the best development in human history), you're not always going to get the same nutrients as you would in something you grow organically in your backyard. Few people have the resources to buy/eat all the fruits, vegetables and other foods it would require to get your RDA of all nutrients.

Most vitamins are bunk. However, there are still plenty of companies that are whole food based, quality products that do what they're supposed to. The overwhelming majority of people are unable or unwilling to calculate their diet to the extent it would take to make sure they're getting enough vitamins and minerals, even people who make a point to eat very healthily (myself included). Taking a whole-foods based (Alive and Raw are my favorites) multi a few times a week is an easy and effective way to alleviate those problems.

Also, it's wise to point out that due to modern living, it's not even possible to get all nutrients via food. We're supposed to have a balance of omega 3 and omega 6. Omega 6 is in pretty much everything, and omega 3's are harder to come by. I, for one, don't want to deal with issues like mercury toxicity or putting ground flaxseed in everything I eat (yuck) to get the appropriate amount of omega-3's when I can take a safe, sustainably-attained, pure fish oil.

I'm not trying to attack you. You may very well get all your nutrients from food. But assuming that's possible for everyone is a stretch, and I'd hate to see people who could benefit from a good-quality supplement (not Walmart crap) shy away.
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 25, 2013 04:16 PM
I take vitamin D3 daily because I have a low vit D level per my doctor, I'm guessing working night shift isn't helping that one haha. I also take a vitamin B complex to help with PMS/PMDD since I got off birth control for that, and a Viactiv chew daily. On top of those I take a probiotic due to having a history of severe c-diff infections and now Ulcerative Colitis. All of these help me stay feeling well! :)
By Polestar
On Mon Mar 25, 2013 07:24 PM
After donating blood regularly for the last 2 or so years, my body couldn't keep up a healthy hemoglobin and iron density in my blood, so I had to get iron "shots" (like an injection, not sure how to word this...) and aditionally to those I take "Elevit". It's originally designed for women who are pregnant or planning to get pregnant, but as it has a very good iron count as well as Vitamin D, which I was also low on, my doctor recommendet it to me. I do feel more energetic now that I've been taking it for about 3 months and I've especially noticed an improvement in my ability to concentrate and focus when I'm studying.
On Mon Mar 25, 2013 07:38 PM
Kekoa, could you recommend websites or vendors for quality vitamins? I live in a decently sized area but I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as finding a place that's not the vitamin section of Whole Foods/Trader Joes/GNC.
re: Supplements (karma: 1)
On Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:00 PM
Nienna wrote:

Kekoa, could you recommend websites or vendors for quality vitamins? I live in a decently sized area but I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as finding a place that's not the vitamin section of Whole Foods/Trader Joes/GNC.

As far as I know, Whole Foods has all excellent quality vitamins. If you're looking to buy online though, look for the following brands; Solgar, Solaray, Bluebonnet, Garden of Life, Source Naturals.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch