Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Foot / ankle exercises
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 27, 2013 03:30 PM

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good ankle / foot exercises that can help improve my tapping. I currently do sets of ankle circling both ways and straight taps in the air (I like to do them under my desk at work!).

Does anyone do anything different that they would share with me?

2 Replies to Foot / ankle exercises

re: Foot / ankle exercises (karma: 1)
By Tappercise
On Thu Feb 28, 2013 04:19 PM
Try to improve your tapping at the same time you try to improve your coordination and range of motion. If you are doing these exercises while sitting in a chair, instead of doing circles completely in the air, do most of the circle in the air but do a tap as your foot completes the downward portion of the circle. You should do both clockwise and counterclockwise circles.

Another exercise you can do while sitting in a chair is keep your heel on the floor, lift (dorsiflex) the ball of your foot upward as high as you can, and then drop the ball of your foot to make a tapping sound (ball drop). After you do this exercise, keep the ball of your foot on the floor, lift (plantar flex) your heel upward as high as you can, and drop your heel to make a tapping sound (heel drop).

When you do these exercises, making your tapping sounds clear and distinct is more important than making them loud. Some tap instructors teach the fundamental movements in a wing or pullback while students are sitting in a chair.
re: Foot / ankle exercises
By Alassin_Sanemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22 AM
That's brilliant, Tappercise, exactly what I was looking for.

I will add those to my routine. :)

I didn't realise you could practise wings etc sitting down, that is interesting. I haven't learned wings yet, but I do want to, so I will keep that in mind too.

ReplySendWatch