Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Summer Intensive Audition Help Please!!!!
By Jill14
On Fri Mar 08, 2013 06:27 PM

Hi. I really want to audition for the Alvin Ailey summer intensive (the audition is in about a month). But I have no modern experience. I have been trained in ballet since I was little so I would say my technique is very strong. I also have strong technique in jazz and tap but none in modern. I was wondering if anyone knows if I won't be able to get into the program because I have no experience or if it will hurt my chances of getting in??? Also if anyone has auditioned for this program before, is the audition difficult and what is it like???

4 Replies to Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Summer Intensive Audition Help Please!!!!

re: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Summer Intensive Audition Help Please!!!!
By Kittyvc123
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:49 PM
hey !

you should definitely try to take some modern classes before you go to that audition. I don't know about the intensive in the US, but they had a workshop in Germany a few years ago and that was quite challenging. It was a great experience though and Alvin Ailey uses a lot more ballet technique than other modern companies, so you will be fine on that, BUT I couldn't imagine going there without any modern experience.
I am sure there are modern classes around you can take, no ?

Kitty !
re: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater Summer Intensive Audition Help Please!!!!
By EduardoMcGhaney
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 03:46 PM
I Love Alvin Ailey he's one of my fave Dancers.
By EduardoMcGhaney
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 03:58 PM
He is a great Dancer.
By oliveballet
On Mon Apr 01, 2013 07:56 PM
I'm so glad the Ailey group is located near me :) I have a couple of friends that took it, they say it's lots of challenging modern, which is why I'm not auditioning this year. :P I've only had a couple months of modern. Surely you could find a modern class somewhere? I'd say modern's pretty essential to dance now, every company has modern in it here and there. So you really should take classes :)

ReplySendWatch