Forum: Irish / Irish Photos - Members

time to add the next layer of bling. Ideas?
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 11, 2013 03:52 AM

It's time to add more crystals to my solo dress. There are so many different options, I thought I'd come to the excellent blingers of DDN for your opinions.

My thought was to add stones around the waist. I could do the same pattern as the neckline, with a double layer of stones. I could use the next size larger and do a single layer.

What do you think? Currently I have the large stones you see in the picture, and I have smaller clear stones in the white embroidery.

What do you all think?

22 Replies to time to add the next layer of bling. Ideas?

re: time to add the next layer of bling. Ideas?
By colleeflower28
On Mon Mar 11, 2013 04:01 AM
I would do a double layer "belt" along the triangle of the bodice bottom (if that makes sense lol)
re: time to add the next layer of bling. Ideas? (karma: 1)
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 11, 2013 04:53 AM
If I had my way with your beautiful little number, I would

A- buy some small crystals and literally just outline the embroidery on the bodice. Since it's white against blue, it pops already, but the small crystals would just make it EXPLODE!

B- add a belt to the skirt along the bodice. I would do double, maybe even triple rows. I would do them like how it's done on the neckline.

C- buy several sizes of blue crystals and just scatter those bad boys everywhere. Along the bodice and sleeves, and on the skirt for sure.

I hope this helps a little!
By hornpipefeet
On Mon Mar 11, 2013 01:14 PM
I really really like Saoirse's ideas, I think that would be gorgeous!
I have another one for you, but that may be very bold, so it depends on what you like.
You could incorporate big teardrop crystals to the white embroidery that you already have, and continue the design only with the stones (the big teardrop ones and maybe some small round ones) to extend the design a little more towards the bottom of the bodice! I think that could be great, but since I am not the best at visualizing, I'm just not sure if it would be too bold with the skirt.
If you're not sure what I mean with this idea, here are some photos where a part of the design is done only with stones:
www.facebook.com . . .
www.facebook.com . . .

Hope that helps a bit :)
By KathyWolfe
On Mon Mar 11, 2013 03:45 PM
I love the color of this dress - it is so flattering on you!

Definitely bling up the bottom edge of the bodice. Try two or three layers of checkerboarded large stones like you have onthe neckline.

I second saoirse's idea of scattering blue stomnes on the velvet - try "sapphire" if you use Swarovski. I think it would look good if you do the scatter where they are more concentrated/denser towards the center - around the embroidery and scattered down the center front - and then they scatter spreads out towards the sides. sort of like this: www.dance.net . . .
On Mon Mar 11, 2013 07:36 PM
If I do the double or triple layer around the bottom of the bodice, do I go all the way around, or just from the side seams forward?

I think I'll wait to add the giant stones or the scatter until I'm in prelims- I'm planning on wearing this dress for a while :)
By Tansey
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 01:29 AM
^I'd go all the way around. It's time-consuming so maybe do one row all the way around the bottom of the bodice for now, and then do a 2nd row when you have time. Your dress is beautiful. I do like Saoirse3473's idea re scattering the blue crystals too.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 01:46 AM
I might do one row all the way around, but do the second or third row only in front (give idea of bling without expense of bling)

I think a few scattered blue crystals either on bodice of skirt would look really great but would be subtle and elegant. You get the flash without the polka dots.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 02:28 AM
having too much fun with photoshop! I tried to give you a visualization of some of the ideas people had. Hope it inspires you!
By Kirvin3member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 04:26 PM
As another adult dancer, let me say first that your dress is beautiful and suits you well! As to bling- I would go with one layer of clear stones at the belt line. I would also do a scattering of the blue stones on the skirt. Keep them small and keep the scatter light for now- you can always add more later.

Can you post a close up of the embroidery so we can see the small crystals better? Might have more ideas from there.
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 07:53 PM
A friend is borrowing it this week, since I'm not dancing. I'll post close ups of the ebmroidery when I get it back.
By blondcat
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:24 PM
Actually, I would add banding rows of rhinestones to the skirt yoke also to give the illusion of the extreme dropped waist on some of the dresses. Just my two cents...
On Thu Mar 14, 2013 02:21 AM
I really like the second picture that Hop123 posted, with the larger stones with the smaller stones above. What do you guys think? How much larger should the larger stones be? The stones I have around the neckline are 30s.
By Clare111
On Thu Mar 14, 2013 01:52 PM
I think the second picture looked best too. I would also still add a few blue stone scattered to give it that extra bling.
By blondcat
On Thu Mar 14, 2013 02:51 PM
I would use 40ss as the smaller stone and a sew-on rivoli as the larger stone. Measure your number holder and go with a sew-on slightly smaller.
On Mon Mar 18, 2013 02:53 PM
Edited by PogMoGillies (177934) on 2013-03-18 15:00:39
here is a close up of the embroidery with the smaller stones, along with a mock up of the belt. The larger circles are slightly smaller than a dime, and the smaller crystals are the 34ss that I have on the neckline.

Thoughts?

edit- looking at hop123's picture, I see she put more of the smaller stones. I think I'd half the distance between the smaller stones that what I posted.
By brackengirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 19, 2013 03:01 PM
Who did the embrodiery on your dress? It looks like crochet and I'd love to know where they got the pattern~
On Tue Mar 19, 2013 03:39 PM
Molly Bennett aka KnotworkMollT. She made both of my solo dresses, and has been awsome working with me, as my second solo was made over the course of two years, first with creating a skirt to go with the bodice of my first solo, then creating a bodice to go with the new skirt :)
By dancing_for_life
On Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 PM
That color is gorgeous on you!
I would recommend adding crystals to the bottom of the bodice. In a picture you added, I love the smaller band of crystals on top of the larger band. My idea would maybe be to lightly scatter blue crystals throughout the rest of the bodice?
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 20, 2013 04:50 AM
if you're hesitant to adding too much since you want to bling it up again in Prelims, I would do the belt- On my dresses, I've never had the belt of crystals going all the way around- mostly just because my dresses were always the perfect length in the front, but I always had issues with length in the back- best to leave it clear in case of any future alterations (where as on the front, it's a lot easier to deal with).

Perhaps, instead of scattering crystals all along your bodice (Since you're saying you're not quite ready for that) I would just scatter a couple on your skirt, both front and back.

Also, taking a nice look at the photo, I noticed you have embroidery on the sleeve- I would add a cuff of crystals to the sleeves too- i know judges don't see them, but for some reason, they really add to the overall look of the dress. I would just do one row and leave about an inch in between the crystals and the hem of the sleeve.

but in addition to that, maybe just a couple more crystals along the embroidery on the bodice (particularly the bottom portion of it- it looks a little bare), and I'd say you've got an even more updated blinged out version of your little blue number!

I agree though- save the large teardrop crystals for prelim- Hell, when you do reach Prelim, I'd even contact your dressmaker and see if they can add a little more embroidery to the dress and THEN add those mongo sized crystals

bottom line here? Irish dancers get way too excited about blinging possibilities lol ;)
By irish_tap_jazz
On Tue Apr 02, 2013 04:48 PM
Beautiful dress simple and clean! I would add more stones around the dropped waist to add a little extra bling!
On Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:30 AM
I added the belt just before this weekend's feis. What do you think?
By irish_tap_jazz
On Wed Apr 17, 2013 05:45 PM
PogMoGillies wrote:

I added the belt just before this weekend's feis. What do you think?

Looks great are those all adult dancers behind you? What region do you dance in?

ReplySendWatch