Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Food poisoning coming back :s
By saaammiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 12, 2013 06:51 PM
Edited by saaammie (221634) on 2013-03-12 18:52:22

I know none of your are doctors, but common sense advice would be great.

Last week, I was in France.
Sunday, my last day, I woke really early and threw up. Couldn't even keep down water. My entire body ached, chills, etcetera. I didn't have a thermometer but that, plus that my pulse was around 120 all day led me to believe I had a pretty high fever.

I managed to get home, felt pretty crappy until Wednesday. Didn't throw up, but couldn't eat a lot and a bit feverish.

I was fine until Sunday when all food made me naseous. I ate, but didn't feel like it

And then yesterday evening, poof, suddenly I'm supercold, my knees ache so much I can barely get home. Still no thermometer (need to get me one of those) but I'm pretty sure I had a fairly high fever.

My first thought was stomach flu but no one I've been in contact with has gotten sick.
So food poisoning maybe? But can food poisoning just 'come' back with fever a week later?

Is this something worth going to the doctor for? Time and money doesn't really allow for it, and it feels kinda silly and a waste of their time too, today I felt fine.

13 Replies to Food poisoning coming back :s

re: Food poisoning coming back :s
By cthompson1474member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 02:39 AM
I think you should go to the doctor. Food poisoning cannot just come back, unless you ate the contaminated food again.

I don't know too much about stomach virus.

The fact that you said chills is a concern. That could possibly be a sign of infection somewhere in your body.

In the meantime drink plenty of fluids so you don't get dehydrated.

Since you're just guessing that you had a fever and it sounds like the majority of the issues were with your stomach, could you be pregnant? Just throwing that out there.. not a doctor and I have virtually no medical knowledge other then what I have experienced personally.
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 02:42 AM
I see your point but I'm def. not pregnant, unless someone's looking for divine miracles. :P
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 03:05 AM
You got the flu. Plain old, garden variety, the next week is going to suck but you'll pull out of it, flu. That's all.

And even if you don't think you were around anyone that's been sick...germs tend to stick around.
By imadanseurPremium member
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 05:05 AM
The most common way of spreading the flu is airborne. Droplets transmitted into the air from the nose and throat through coughing, sneezing, spitting etc. You only need to be out in public to get exposed to it. If your immune system was low you either caught a second type of cold/flu or you pushed yourself too soon and relapsed. Take it easy...slow down, drink lots of fluids, and rest rest rest.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 05:10 AM
Sounds like Influenza. Food poisoning and norovirus (what I assume you meant by the stomach flu) don't typically hang on that long or "come back." When I had the flu I was never nauseated, but that certainly isn't unheard of. At this point, check your temperature, if it were me I wouldn't go to the doctor unless I had a dangerously high fever or worsening symptoms. You missed your chance to get tamiflu anyway. Stay hydrated and take it easy, go to the doctor if you get worse (you don't want to risk getting something like bronchitis or pneumonia).
By kandykanePremium member
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 05:12 AM
It is possible the second round was something different, although similar. If it recurs, I'd see a doctor. For now, monitor your symptoms. Keep up your fluids and buy that thermometer. If you're all clear, just make a note of the episode(s) in case you have more problems.

Get well, kk~
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 09:01 AM
I'm hoping that you had a great time in France! :P Where are the pictures?

I'm wondering if you contracted something nasty there, and it incubated for the interim days of your plane ride and your return?

Have you written down signs and symptoms? Were you coughing sneezing, hacking?

I WOULD invest the time to see a doctor -- in fact I urge you to do so.

Is this just a virus, or could it be something else? I have to admit that I'm a little confused about your going to France, but then you say that time and money are an issue. I'm sorry, but something doesn't add up.

My reasons to see a doc: you have ONE body. You are in charge and control of your health. I am saying this because I am praying that whatever you have is NOT going to get worse, and thus, get you hospitalized, or flat on your back for a stretch of time. So, I think I'm trying to go in the direction of medical intervention and prevention.I hope that you see a professional, even in a CLINIC so that you can find out what is going on inside!

In the meantime, I hope you are keeping a day by day kind of signs and symptoms diary. Did you ever research in your state/country/county potential health insurance for those people who are of lower income?

When you mention that you had some nausea, and then it dissipated, and then, things got worse again, I have to ask: Do you still have your appendix? When I got sick with appendicitis the signs and symptoms I felt were rather similar.

Here are some "old faithfuls" that I do when I'm having bouts of nausea:

-- drink lots of water.
-- I drink a blend of 1/2 and 1/2 ginger ale (lowest sodium possible) and water.
-- drink camomile/mint tea.
-- drink 1/3 and full apple juice to water
-- ginger tea
-- take acidophillis (sorry, sp!) a probiotic. yogurt cultures.
-- eat some sort of bland foods, jello, crackers, something easy for your system to handle.
-- Stay Warm!
-- Chicken broth -- as low sodium as you can handle. KNorr is good.

Please keep us updated. Personally what I would love to hear: "Hey, I feel BETTER! Watch out world, here I come!" In the meantime, please get well, will ya? ;)

Shadow.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 01:10 PM
I've never had food poisoning and a fever... ans believe me ive had it a few times.

I may be wrong but is influenza not totally different. Not involving vomitting..

Sounds to me like gastroenteritis... a good old stomach bug.

I'm not a doctor though... I'm not entirely sure I would go to the Dr right now... I'd prob just give myself a few days to fight it off...
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 05:21 PM
Thanks for all your answers.

I hadn't thought about it being the normal flu, but that actually sounds like it could be it.
I spoke to my mom today who mentioned that whenever I was little, the first sign of me being very sick with a high fever was vomiting, everytime, without fail. Since no one else close to me has thrown up, i guess it supports the flu theory (both my parents and my best friend took the shots. I didn't, this year, because I felt I couldn't afford it and my country sorta discourages it for non-risk groups anyway.)

I'm feeling pretty weak today, especially since I had superduper important interviews for a master's program yesterday, so I was up and busy all day.

So I've, under duress, decided to take today and tomorrow off. Super bad timing, since I have a huge group project due tomorrow and my group will hate me, but I've been sick for nearly two weeks now, gosh darn it. I need to get well.

Thanks for all your advice, I really, really appriciate it!
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 05:24 PM
ShadowLunaCat wrote:

I'm hoping that you had a great time in France! :P Where are the pictures?

France was absolutely lovely in every way, I was in Paris and I'd never been before and it was awesome. My best friend lives there and we had suuuuch a great time and SO much fun and Paris was just beautiful. (if a bit cold :P)

And Shadow, you're a sweetheart!

(and here's a picture of me looking very windblown and touristy)
By MonkeyStepsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 05:25 PM
Just wanted to add to the "possibly flu" camp - the worst flu I ever had was made even more terrible by the fact I constantly felt like I'd throw up and on the worst day I couldn't even keep water down so I had to suck ice cubes.
By califeisgirl
On Wed Mar 13, 2013 06:34 PM
Yeah, that’s not food poisoning. You could be allergic to something, but you would have to have eaten it every time you felt sick. Plus with food poisoning, I think the general rule of thumb is you start feeling sick within a few hours of eating bad food. The reason you feel so ill is because your body is violently trying to get rid of it.

You probably just have a bug. It actually happens a lot when people travel, you’re getting introduced to new germs and bacteria. Some people adjust better than others. I caught a nasty bug when I was studying in London, but none of my three flatmates were affected by it. Make sure to get rest and stay hydrated. It sucks, but I hope you feel better soon.

If you start feeling better, I don't think you would need to go to the doctor. But if it doesn't start clearing up or you start feeling worse, you might have to bite the bullet and go.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 AM
LlamaLlamaDuck wrote:

I may be wrong but is influenza not totally different. Not involving vomitting..

Sounds to me like gastroenteritis... a good old stomach bug.

The flu (influenza) may have symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea, I am sure something to do with the dehydration and fever that can come along with it. I don't think it is super common, but like another poster said, sometimes when people get sick with anything they also feel nauseated.

Gastroenteritis/stomach bug/traveler's bug/norovirus usually only lasts a couple days in my experience. Unless you are repeatedly introduced to more toxins or whatever.

I am definitely NOT an expert, haha, just trying to answer your question.

ReplySendWatch