Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 11 of 11: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:33 AM
I thought I'd start hitting people when every. single. person. I. met. said, "Are you still here?"

Two of my kids went two weeks past their due date, but because some of them were early, I was "ready to go" by about 37 weeks. At the time I thought it was the longest two weeks of my whole life but looking back on it now, I'm glad the kids have the birthdays (and Zodiac signs) they have. If one of them had been born on time he would have been a Scorpion and his birthday would have come on Thanksgiving from time to time. No, no, no! Pearl Harbor Day turned out to be a date the grandparents "would never forget" so perhaps the two weeks wait was well spent.

If his brother had been born on time, they would have shared a birthday. Also not the best thing for a child, although as it happened, his little sister was born on his 6th birthday, so he only had his "own day" for five years. I guess perhaps sharing a birthday might have been in the stars after all.

I wish I could offer you some cheerful thoughts and encouragement. Perhaps this.... your actual labor may be very quick.... I suspect you're in "slow labor" now and have been for a week! If it helps to know that I think about you every day and wonder how you're doing....know that!

Hugs
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 08, 2014 04:05 PM
Aw, thank you Christine. I feel loved :)

It's odd; since my mom NEVER got to her due date, I was raised with the idea that babies come 3-6 weeks before their due dates. I am physically built like my mom, and I assumed that I would carry similarly. Although I know now that I don't, I'm still completely ready by 36 weeks just in case!

As of today, I've had 36 days of "overtime" with all my kids combined, lol. Charlotte still takes the cake at 20 days past her due date.

My brother and I share the same birthday (same day 2 years apart- he only had one birthday to himself and I've never had a non-combined party aside from my 16th), and while I hated it as a kid I love it now. Funny enough, my sister in law (his wife) has her birthday 2 days later, so we all have a big party every year. This year, my sister is getting married 2 days before so I'm not anticipating a party, but I may throw something myself.

Charlotte's due date was actually only 2 days before Digory's birthday and I was hoping there would be enough of a gap that no one would be tempted to give them a combined birthday. I got my wish!
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jul 09, 2014 07:19 PM
I feel like I'm stalking your diary on baby watch...

Babies come when they are good and ready!

But I was so uncomfortable by the end of the last pregnancy that I was over it at like 29 weeks.
On Fri Jul 11, 2014 06:57 PM
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
On Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:23 PM
Matthias Xavier, everyone :)

Super fast update:

-went into the hospital Wed morning for a balloon induction, but was too dilated for that so the midwife broke my water instead. Spent all of Wednesday trying to get things going without success.

-Spent the first part of Thursday doing the same; nothing was working. The midwives were awesome and severely limited internal exams and monitored me closely so I could go on as long as it was safe with my water broken.

-started low-level pitocin to get things going around 3. Was taken off the pitocin at about 6ish because I was about an 8, and labor ended up stalling so I went back on.

-gave birth at 8:20 pm to a 9lb 9oz chunk of a kid; only 6 days late but my biggest kiddo by 11oz! SO glad I didn't wait another week or two.

Observations:

1. Pitocin is a bitch of a drug but apparently got the job done.
2. I apparently lost every scrap of modesty during this labor, and it occurred to me while I was on all 4s doggy style completely naked, notice between contractions that the delivery room had 10-12 hospital staff plus my 3 support people and couldn't care less about who saw me in all my glory.
3. The biggest contrast between this birth and my homebirths- at least for me- was the bother of the monitors. When you're in a ton of pain and you have these things strapped to the source of the pain, it makes it a LOT worse. When I was pushing, they kept popping off and the nurse had to keep repositioning them mid-contraction. It was painful enough to distract me mid-contraction quite often.
4. Totally worth it. Would do it a hundred times over if I needed to to get my Lil' chubby boy.

That's all night (or my nexus) have the energy for right now. Night all :)
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:38 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! He is darling! Well done Mama! He's a big boy!!!!!!!
By Sumayah
On Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:08 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So many good thoughts for you and your family!
By Tansey
On Sat Jul 12, 2014 03:06 PM
Congratulations, Nyssa! He's just beautiful!
By leogirlPremium member
On Sat Jul 12, 2014 06:55 PM
Much love to all of you!
On Sat Jul 12, 2014 08:11 PM
Image hotlink - 'http://cdn.hotfrog.com/companies/Its-All-About-Flowers_26522455/images/Its-All-About-Flowers_26522455_676450_image.jpg'

Oh Baby!

Good job Mama.

Hugs to all
xoxo

Keep On Dancing*
By CaffeinePremium member
On Sun Jul 13, 2014 03:50 AM
Congratulations Nyssa! He is a gorgeous little thing, and you've given him a great name. Well done! Sending all my love to you and your family :D
On Sat Jul 19, 2014 09:51 PM
Thanks, you guys! I'm pretty enamored with the little dude.

Time has been flying, and I'm a little sad that Monday sees hubby back to work and I have to get back to reality. This past week and a half has very much been a honeymoon for our family and I think we've all enjoyed the time together. It also means that all the distractions of "normal" life will intrude again and I'm really not looking forward to that. Can't my family and I go on a forever-long vacation so I never have to miss a moment of my sweet kiddos growing up?

Tuesday Digs starts his daycamp at Church- it's the first year he's old enough to go! I can't believe he'll be in first grade this school year.

Aside from resting (a lot), I haven't been up to a whole lot outside of baby, so humor me while I brag on him for a bit. Matthias had his 1-week checkup on Thursday and he had gained all his birth weight back plus 3oz, and since he's eating so well he doesn't have to go back until 2 months for a checkup. I am SO glad I bought all 0-3 month clothing instead of newborn size. Nothing NB size would have fit him. He also ninja'd his umbilical cord off the other day before it was totally ready to come off, so we've had to deal with a bit of a raw belly button. The good thing is that he's moved out of the newborn diapers, and the size 1 diapers don't have the cord notch in them, so it's convenient in that sense for his cord to be gone. We've had to keep an eye on it to make sure that it stays clean and dry, but that hasn't been too much of a challenge.

I'm still sore, but I'm happy how fast I seem to be healing. I may even venture to say this has been my easiest recovery yet, even though he was my biggest baby. I give a lot of the credit to Hubby, who has practically waited on me hand and foot in addition to watching after the house and taking care of the other kiddos, as well as watching Matthias in shifts so I can get solid sleep at night. In the interest of not being overly mushy, I'll just say that he is a rockstar and I'm proud of the man he's become.

Tonight, Hubby took the kids to a family friend's for dinner and Baby and I had a date night. It included naps, cuddles, and Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing". Never too early to introduce them to Shakespeare! I emptied the dishwasher, started a load of laundry, and am now relaxing because it'll be food time for Matthias soon so there's no reason to head to bed before he wakes up to eat.

Right now, life is good. I'm Hoping it'll still be good by this time next week, when I've been back to reality for a few days :)
On Fri Jul 25, 2014 02:19 PM
This kid is so cuddly... After Charlotte (who didn't want anything too do with cuddles at ALL her first 6 months or so), I am soooo happy to have a baby that just enjoys being near me. He has been such an easy baby so far and I'm loving it.

He turned 2 weeks old yesterday, which also means I'm 2 weeks postpartum. Yesterday, I did a LOT of running around and expected to be sore and exhausted by the end of the day, but I wasn't. Of course, the new-baby-fatigue is ever present, but being able to DO stuff and still be in one piece by the end of the day was fantastic. Now if I could finally start dancing again sometime soon I'd be ecstatic!

Running around with 4 little ones is a little daunting, but not as difficult as I built it up in my head to be. Digory and Evelyn are both good listeners and they both try to help guide Charlotte, so my little herd stays close to me and we're good. That was one thing I was particularly anxious about, and it seems like I won't have to worry as much as I have been.

I've bounced back physically decently well. I can't wear any pants/shorts that are non-maternity yet, but my tops are good to go. My biggest issue is always that my skeletal structure has expanded so my ribs and hips are a lot wider than normal, and only time will help that get back to normal. I'm glad that I was so active this pregnancy- it seems to have made a huge difference on my recovery so far.

Hubby is finishing up his first week back to work. I know he has a hard time going back after getting to spend a week and a half home with me and the kids. If it ever came down to it, he would be an AMAZING stay-at-home-dad. I keep telling him to just win the lottery so he can stay home forever.

Anyway, the next few weeks are busy. We'll be going out of the state twice in the next month. I'm not so upset/scared over life returning to it's normal chaos anymore; this week has given me confidence that I can enjoy all my kiddos post-babymoon too :)
By Tansey
On Sat Jul 26, 2014 07:00 PM
What a beautiful baby he is! Glad to hear you are bouncing back so well!
Page:
Page 11 of 11: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed