Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 2 of 11: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 26, 2013 07:02 AM
The colors I chose for my laundry room are so awesome! I was worried that the blue would be too intense, but I think it's perfect. I'll be sure to post pictures when it's finished.

Digory's birthday party is this Sunday. I canNOT believe that he'll be 5- it seems like just yesterday I was still holding little tiny chubby Digs. He has already grown into such a compassionate and goofy boy, I can't wait to see what the next 5 years brings.

I'm going to do a construction-themed party for him, and I'm pretty excited about that too.

I have SO many projects going on right now. I need to list them just to organize my thoughts:

1. Laundry room: second coat of paint on the ceiling, finish out walls, paint doors and cabinets, exchange light fixtures (I, like a genius, bought the wrong size).

2. Diggy's party: cake, signs, balloons and streamers, gift.

3. Start embroidery for Evie's school dress. I don't know that she'll be competition-ready by the Austin feis in June, but she probably will be for Oklahoma in September.

4. Fix shirt for friend.

5. Make baby book for friend with new baby.

6. Contact Tarrant food bank to see if there's anything specific they need. We're going to start there for the kid's initial introduction to formal service.

7. Contact Montessori teacher.

8. Talk to Digory's teacher about doing a party for him during school.

9. Fix tents in the kiddos rooms.

10. Finish out laundry. It always seems to get out of hand, and it's even worse right now since the laundry room is all Topsy turvy.

Went thrifting and found this dress for $10: Image hotlink - 'http://embed.polyvoreimg.com/cgi/img-thing/size/y/tid/5088461.jpg'
I am SO pleased because it seems like finding a tailored dress is near impossible for me, but this baby fits me PERFECTLY. It is in new condition, too. Happy me :)
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 03:35 PM
Hubby has been studying hardcore and was super stressed about taking the series 7, but he took it today and kicked booty. I'm taking him out to celebrate tonight- I'm so proud of him!

Today was nice and warm, and I realized I'm actually excited for the summer. I'm pretty happy about the idea of having Diggybones home from school! It blows my mind that, come next school year, Evie will be ready to start school too.

Digory's birthday party was yesterday and it was great! We had a full house and lots of fun. The highlight was the trick candles- he thought it was pretty great that he could blow them out more than once.

Speaking of birthdays, a year ago today was my due date. Charlotte's first birthday is in just a few weeks and I am amazed that time has flown by so quickly.

Today, there was a dude join the corner with a "single dad unemployed" sign written on cardboard. I gave him a few dollars, and my younger sister said "You are SO nice!" I explained that I was just trying to set an example for the kids so they'd never hesitate to give to those in need, and she seemed surprised by my explanation. I don't mean to toot my own horn (and I hope it doesn't come across that way), but I just felt so good that I made an impression on my usually-impressed-by-nothing 14 year old sister. Maybe it'll give her something to reflect on.

Life is good. <3 all my readers that put up with my goofy, inconsequential updates :)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 05:14 PM
The Christmas tradition that I started was that Teresa had to pick out a gift to donate to another boy or girl. She seemed to get it because there was no fighting putting it in the donation bin. She had to carry it around the store and give it extra love. So sweet.

Its so important to teach them to give.
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 07:00 PM
I love that idea! How fantastic. I might steal it :) thanks for the input!
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 07:01 PM
I love that idea! How fantastic. I might steal it :) thanks for the input!
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 29, 2013 07:56 PM
Someone else gave it to me and I thought it was great. She picked out an alligator pillow pal stuffie... I added an extra doll and she was mad about that.

The lady taking the donations was surprised that she was so young donating. She got 2 candy canes.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 30, 2013 08:38 AM
Nyssasistic wrote:

It blows my mind that, come next school year, Evie will be ready to start school too.

WHUUUU T!!! Maybe it's since you had two girls in a row--Evie and Charlotte must run together for me because THERE IS NO WAY Evie is old enough to start school. OMG!!!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 30, 2013 08:46 AM
Having taken the Series 7, passing on the first try is no small feat. Congrats to hubby on that! I found the 66 to be easier, but it played more to my strengths.

As I've said, kudos for trying to raise some awesome kids. I have total faith that your kids will grow up to be the kind of adults we all hope kids will be. Keep up the good work!
On Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:47 PM
Evie is just a crazy small sprite. She and Charlotte are sharing a good chunk of their clothes right now. However, she turned 3 in February, so it's definitely school time!

Emily, I'll pass that along. He was really nervous and ended up getting an 89%, so I hope that'll bolster his confidence for the tests to come.
And thanks for the vote of confidence with the kiddos. There are days I feel like supermom and days I feel like a dog could raise them better than me. Feeling like someone else believes I'm a competent mother is actually REALLY awesome. Thanks :)

I have been so unproductive today. Poor Diggy had a fever from his vaccinations, and so I kept him home from school. This morning, Charlotte wanted to cuddle with me, and next thing I know it's an hour later and I'm waking up with her snuggled up to me. I did breakfast with the kids and let them play while I showered, and after not too long it was naptime. Evie and Diggy asked to snuggle with me for a bit, and so I sat down on the couch with them on either side of me and BAM, an hour later I wake up while they're passed out. Lol. Maybe I needed the sleep?

I just finished lunch, and now it's time to get up and tidy while they're still sleeping. I'm making myself hold off on painting in the laundry room until I've whipped the house back into shape, but I'd really rather just paint. #housewifeprobs
On Wed May 01, 2013 07:41 PM
I never truly knew love until I heard his first baby cry. My whole world changed in that single moment, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Happy birthday to the best thing that has ever happened to me. 5 years old and the heart of a lion already. I am so lucky to have the privilege of calling myself his mommy.
On Sat May 04, 2013 11:30 PM
So this weekend has been incredibly busy. Last night, I took Evie to her first ballet ever- Cinderella. She was great, and we had a ton of fun doing something with just the two of us. I really need to make sure I'm giving each of the kiddos one-on-one time here and there, it's rewarding for all of us I think.

This morning, I did a performance at the fairgrounds and it was really fun! There was some sort of walk/run going on, and we (as well as dancers of different nationalities- we saw a group of Polynesian and another group of German folk dancers) were placed off to the side and just continued little numbers for a few hours. I enjoyed it a lot.

This afternoon was class and it was great- I realized my cross and turnout need a LOT of work.

Came home, showered, and got dressed to go to the opera. I forgot that it was an evening performance (if/when we go, it's generally a matinee), so I had to dig through my closet to find a full-length dress that fit me. I found one- a full-length sheath dress with a cowl neck, and it fit better than when I bought it a few years ago. I was ecstatic. My hair and makeup looked great, and after the opera was over a woman came up to me and said "You are SO beautiful! Like Carmen!" I thanked her, and my grandma-in-law leaned over and said "you know who that is, right? The conductor's wife!" O.O Needless to say, that was a HUGE confidence booster!

The Opera was good for the first half and decent for the second, but the soprano was absolutely amazing. She had a 12 minute aria and I was so transfixed that I didn't notice the length at all. Right now is my city's Opera Festival, and this one, Ariadne Auf Nexus, was one of 4 they put on. Regardless of the actual performance, it was great to dress to the 9's and have some non-kiddo time with Mikhail.

Anyway, I'm about to pass out. Night everyone!
On Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 PM
I got my ugly-front-cavity filled! Also got 2 other fillings and one temp filling which will be taken out to do a root canal in a bit. I have another appointment for 3 more fillings in a few weeks, and then after that it'll be the root canal. I know it's kind of icky, but I'm SO excited to have this stuff finally taken care of. I've gone for years embarrassed of my smile and I'm SO stoked to not have to worry about it anymore :)

Anyway, there's lots more to update on but I don't have the time. I'll make sure to fill ya'll in later.
On Tue May 07, 2013 08:59 AM
So you know how I annoyingly post videos of my kids "dancing" and it's nothing like real Irish dancing? Yeah well, here we go again:
www.youtube.com . . .

So much fun!

Back to being productive!
On Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 PM
Oooh boy, exciting week. I ought to be in bed, but I'm not.

I love dancing, just FYI. I LOVE Irish Dance. I love helping others discover their love for Irish Dance. And when I see my 3-year-old practicing her hop 1-2-3's in her room without a bit of prompting from me, my heart nearly bursts I am filled with so much joy.

So aside from dance, I think I've taken on a task larger than I'm comfortable with. I offered to host a Mother's Day breakfast for all the moms in our family. Oy. I am not a naturally good hostess, and I'm not a naturally good cook. But why allow those things to stop me from showing my appreciation for the rest of the moms in our family?

You know, this quote keeps running through my head and it is SO true.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

As we are liberated from our fear... How many of us hold ourselves back out of fear?

Yes, I'll admit, I am afraid of hosting a breakfast, especially for the etiquette-savvy mothers of the family. I am no good at entertaining. But what good will I do if I just sit back, twiddle my thumbs, and wonder at my inadequacy?
I know it's a small thing, and I'm not saying that I'm any sort of hero, I just want, for myself, to stop allowing the negative part of me to rule me. Who am I not to be a great hostess?

Just thoughts. I feel like I'm waxing a bit too mushy. I think it's bedtime ;)
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn (karma: 1)
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 10, 2013 06:26 AM
We talked about everyday courage in my support group on Wednesday night and I think your situation is particularly applicable. So you're not the best cook or best hostess in the world. Who cares? You're showing up and doing your best. That takes balls and most people don't realize that. You stepped up, it'll be a great breakfast, and everyone will walk away with fond memories. :D
On Sun May 12, 2013 08:25 AM
So everyone was out of town and hadn't responded to my invitation, so I'm off the hook for that breakfast.

Just a funny note- my first ever mother's day was just a week and a half after Digory was born. I had been out of the hospital a week, and was still SO out of it from the c-section and being a new mom that I completely forgot. I had only left the house once to go to a doctor's appointment, and when my husband told me it was Sunday, I was really surprised. I had lost track of the day of the week, let alone the month! Lol. It just makes me smile remembering how new everything was.

This year, hubby gave me a beautiful and unique gift- he painted the silhouette of a bird "standing" on my oldschool pencil sharpener in my laundry room. I've put a ton of time into the room so far and will do much more to finish it when I have the time, and having him contribute to it was just SO special to me.
On Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 PM
Go big or go home, right? Goodness gracious. I think I may be spearheading the setup of a new home school group, you guys. 0.o

My laundry room is finally getting close to wrapping up. Just a few more hours of solid work.

I REALLY want to start on a new solo dress, but that's ridiculous because I don't want to do any more competitions! Oh, my goofy brain. I think that'll be my way of bribing myself into competing: I'll get a new one when (if) I get into open champs.

To keep tuition costs down, Digory's school requires every parent to log 50 volunteer hours during the school year. I am desperately behind, so I've been doing everything I can to get them in. Tonight, I was going to be sorting through kindergartners' papers for their portfolios, and when I told hubby my plans for the evening he told me that instead he was kicking me out to have an evening to myself, and that he'all take care of the sorting. Awww. I love that dude.

I have so much going on, I'm really looking forward to the end of the school year so I have some time to get everything done.

Okay, I'm going to stop using the Starbucks WiFi and go shopping. Night all :)
On Sat May 18, 2013 05:27 PM
My baby isn't a baby anymore! I am SO excited to see what the next year brings. Toddlerhood, here we come :)
By Tansey
On Sat May 18, 2013 10:28 PM
Gorgeous cake! And oh my word, that last photo is absolutely precious!
On Sun May 19, 2013 12:15 AM
Thank you! I've come to accept the fact that I am not a cake decorator. Learning to work WITH my weakness instead of pretending I could "get better with practice" has made all the difference! So instead of killing myself and hating the way the cake looked, I iced it, wrapped a ribbon around it, and stuck flowers in the top. I like the way it turned out.
Charlotte is such a goober. I'm pretty sure she understands that she's "older" now; just the way she communicates indicates that she thinks she's definitely part of the big kids.

I had a frappuccino at 9 and that was a bad idea. It's now 1am and I'm still bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Oy.

Does anyone have an idea for a nontraditional dresser/chest of drawers? As it stands, I'm using a shelf as a dresser and it's not working. We now have the room to accommodate a dresser in our room, but I find myself resisting the idea of just a regular ole' dresser. I would LOVE something like this: www.victoriantradingco.com . . . but $1300 is a bit much to spend on a dresser.

So I find myself in a sticky situation. My sister lived with her girlfriend for close to 2 years, and they broke up about 2 months ago. While they were together, they were practically inseparable, and since my sister is close to my kiddos her girlfriend was too. Now that they're broken up (and not on good terms at all), my sister's ex still tries to contact me pretty frequently to talk about life and the kids and whatnot. I'm not intensely interested in continuing our relationship, and she seems to be doing it more out of trying to win me to "her side" more than actually caring about staying close. I do NOT want to be rude, but I am having a hard time tactfully telling her I don't want to talk to her anymore. I guess I could just ignore her, but that seems unduly rude too. Any advice, DDN?

I hope everyone has a stellar rest-of-the-weekend! <33
On Tue May 21, 2013 01:32 PM
I'm so glad Digory's school did early release today. The weather is pretty spooky. I know I'd be unhappy (and possibly unsafe) driving through it.

The weather dude is saying that there isn't much of a tornado threat for us, so let's hope he's right.

Had another dental appointment this morning- I never thought I'd be so happy to let someone drill on my teeth. It's just so wonderful to SMILE again. Happy day! Next week I have a root canal and then the worst damage will be resolved. After my problems are totally repaired, maybe (MAYBE) braces? Hmm...
On Mon May 27, 2013 08:00 PM
WHY do people wish each other a "happy memorial day"? Doesn't that defeat the POINT of memorial day?
Mini rant over. Moving forward...

You think your mother in law is cool? Does she give you designer hand-me-down shoes? Do your feet happen to be EXACTLY the same size? Yeah, my MIL wins. I love her to death. Outside of her impeccable fashion sense, she is the kindest, most loving, bestest advice-giver ever. She is truly like a second mother, not just some lady I have to get along with because she's my husbands mom.

We went to the wedding of a very good friend on Thursday, and I had SO much fun! She was the one that introduced me to Hubby, and she and her now-husband are Charlotte's Godparents. I am so happy for them!
They are total nerds (the grooms wedding gift to his bride was chainmail armor... that he made himself), and one of the highlights of the reception was the Mead that they had. They not only MADE the mead themselves, but they also harvested the honey from their own bees with which to make the mead. It was amazing. She, of course, looked stunning and he looked fantastic (he and his groomsmen wore kilts. Oh, be still my heart!).
I met the family through Irish Dance as a teenager, and a lot of her siblings/cousins dance. I helped choreograph a special version of the Cross Reel for them to perform, and it was AMAZING. That's when I realized that- oh, my goodness- I LOVE being in the role of Teacher. I LOVE watching kids pull off a dance successfully. I LOVE seeing the overjoyed look in their eyes when they know they've done well. I love playing Teacher. And soon (not soon enough in my book), I know that I'll be able to do that. To BE that teacher. It makes my heart so happy to think about it.

Anyway, a few pics from the wedding. First is Hubby, the girlies, and me, and the second is Friend, her new Hubby, and Charlotte.
On Thu May 30, 2013 11:33 AM
Almost done with all my dental work. Today brought a wisdom tooth extraction, filling, and another strong recommendation that I look into braces. I need to start checking orthodontists out.
The only other major thing I have to look forward to is a root canal. Woo...hoo..?

It is so relieving to be able to smile again. I know dental work isn't exactly a fun subject, but my life has been so positively affected by the ability to get these major problems fixed that I feel like I'm at the top of the world :)

Tomorrow is Digory's last day of school, and I am equal parts relieved and upset. I am REALLY going to miss it, but not the spending 4+ hours in the car every day.

On another note, Shake it Up has to be one of the most inane shows in the world. They'd be redeemed if their dance routines were decent, but they're not. Standing around shimmying your shoulders and hips alternately does not good choreography make.
On Thu Jun 06, 2013 09:46 AM
Being home for more than 2 hours during the day is NICE! I think our gas bill is even more relieved. What lasted us less that 2 days has lasted us all week so far, and we're not even close to being on empty. I could get used to saving $100/week on gas.

Life has been great. I feel like having the extra time that I do has enabled me to get caught up on a lot of things that fell by the wayside between the move and extra drive time I've been putting in.

Tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of Hubby and my first date. I canNOT believe it's been that long! It feels like just yesterday. Speaking of yesterday, he took his Insurance test and passed, so now that he's totally kosher he's good to go! More significantly (to me, at least) is the fact that it comes with a decent raise.
He's been talking about getting a tungsten wedding ring to replace his current white gold band for a while (we both have ring finger tattoos and his is very noticeable when his band is on), and the other day I haggled the bejesus out of a lady in a jewelry store and walked out with a ring similar to this (except the stripe in the middle is black): Image hotlink - 'http://www.fantasyjewelrybox.com/Images/ProductFull/20233-4727/joels-dual-finish-grooved-tungsten-ring.jpg'
I, in Nyssa fashion, presented it to him on bended knee asking him to marry me. He seemed thrilled with it, and said that he would have chosen that exact one if he had been buying for himself. I was thinking about waiting until tomorrow to give it to him, but I didn't want to totally blindside him with a gift on a fairly obscure anniversary where he'd feel obligated to reciprocate.

Got the kiddos signed up for swimming lessons in a few weeks! I'll admit, I'm excited. All the kids have their swimsuits and we are set! I went swimsuit shopping yesterday and, I've gotta admit, I walked out of the store feeling like crap. My body is just not swimsuit ANYTHING. I settled on a tankini, but I'm not happy with it. I'll return it if I find something I like better.

We also went shopping for Charlotte... Pics of the haul:

Image hotlink - 'http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/14387546'

Image hotlink - 'http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/14253560'

(Although I loved this one , they didn't have it in her size. Ah well.)

Image hotlink - 'http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/14294813'

Image hotlink - 'http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/14294308'

And, if you're curious, this is the swimsuit I got:

Image hotlink - 'http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/14483682'

Gotta run... Adios, everyone!

Comment #10114191 deleted
Removed by Nyssasistic (74238) on 2013-06-06 13:11:55 double post

Page:
Page 2 of 11: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed