Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 8 of 11: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:56 PM
Got all my Bah Humbug's out of the way and really enjoyed my Christmas. I forget that the chaos is worth it.

Still have lots of post-Christmas stuff to do, and then I'll blink and it will be time to head out to Dublin!
It's funny, because we've been talking about where we want to go and Hubby wants to see "The Cliffs of Insanity" from Princess Bride. I said "But they're on the OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTRY!" and he gave me a .... 0.o and said "Nyssa, the other side of Ireland is a 3 hour drive".

Sometimes I forget that my state is bigger than a lot of countries. Oy.

Anyway, lots of fun things to do to prepare for that. And lots of not-so-fun paperwork-heavy things, but ya know. I'll take my spoonful of sugar with the medicine, I suppose.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 26, 2013 06:24 PM
They would be about 4 hours from Dublin and some of the roads are a bit on the curvy side.

I did the drive a few years back. It was the second day driving there.

It can be done in a day trip though. I believe it was partially highway driving.

You have to do the ghost bus tour its fun.

Personally I wouldn't do more than a couple of days in Dublin and do a day or two in Killarney. We did Dublin Killarney and galway in a week and saw quite a bit. I'm also not a fan of cities when I go anywhere.
On Fri Dec 27, 2013 08:56 AM
Well, we're booked at the same hotel for the duration of the trip, and we HAVE to be around the area until at least Saturday, but Sunday/Monday we have totally to ourselves. Doing a 4/5 hour roadtrip in a day is really par for the course if we want to do anything out of town here, so I'm not worried. We'll definitely see some of the sights!

Hubby and I both enjoy big cities, so we probably will spend most of our time in Dublin proper and use some of our free days to see some of the further-out stuffs.

Musts on our list include Trinity College, the Guinness factory, and A Castle (haven't decided which one. We're SO going to look like goofy Texan tourists).

I seriously feel so fantastic right now. We've had stuff with family almost every single day this week (aside from Tuesday), and we'll do gifts with another set of grandparents this evening. I AM a teensy bit peopled-out, but not as bad as I could be. Luckily my morning sickness, while present and annoying, hasn't gotten overwhelming. I was really hoping it would be gone by our Dublin trip, but I need to face the reality that I may deal with it. By the way? being morning sick and flying? Bad. I'll have to remember to try and get an aisle seat out of courtesy to the people around me.

Anyway, life is good. I think it's time to announce to the world that there's a #4 on the way...
By reeldancegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 27, 2013 09:14 AM
Dublin is awesome. There's a teeny tiny dance shop there, north of the river. (I got lost and walked through a large Polish area of town) It has a bunch of pictures from way back in the day! (Like the 90's original Riverdance cast, as small children).

I can't seem to remember what it's called. There's a train that goes by it though (or over it?).

There was also a Rutherford store around the corner too.
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 03:41 PM
It still blows my mind that there are actual Irish Dance STOREFRONTS. I'm going to have to put those on the list of things to check out!

I have spent today in a haze of cleaning, eating WAAAAY too much chocolate, and plotting our trip.

For those of you who have gone to Ireland, I know I don't need to worry about the cold as much as I do the wet. What do ya'll recommend? Raincoats? Trenchcoats? Rainboots or winter/snowboots? I think we're still technically in a drought here in Texas, so as you can imagine I'm at a loss as to how to dress in consistently rainy weather.

Back to reorganizing our playroom (/library/sewing corner)... Have to find room for some new, big toys!
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 09:12 PM
I'd get a raincoat and rain boots, you can find them in Wal-Mart. Don't get winter/snow boots, the best ones would be the all rubber ones that are used for gardening and the rain. I'd wear them while helping my friend clean her horse stalls. Worked like a charm and I didn't get my shoes dirty. :D
By seannettaPremium member
On Mon Dec 30, 2013 09:21 PM
Lurker with some advice: I've been to Ireland in December when it's cold and damp. My raincoat and my rainboots were a blessing for sure. I can't stand damp/wet weather (the chill gets into your bones and won't go away), so I packed as many layers as possible, including wool socks for in the rubber boots.

In Dublin, there's a tiny little Irish dance museum that's attached to a little theatre where the show "Jig" happens. It's worth seeing the show and exploring the museum, in my opinion -- both are very charming and a real treat for ID geeks.

www.jig.ie . . .
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn (karma: 1)
On Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:29 AM
Thanks for the input! I already own rainboots (bought my first pair EVER about a year ago. Go me!), and got myself a pretty decent raincoat earlier this week.

Welcome to 2014. I realized that I've had a kid every even year since 2008. '08, '10, '12, and now '14. Just enough space to where I usually have one done with diapers before the next comes along, and they're close enough to where they all play together. Total upside? I will be 44 when I see my last off to college at this rate. That gives Hubby and me a good 30 years (at least) of gallivanting across the globe on our own. We'll have a lifetime ahead of us where we get to focus on each other, and the awesomeness will only be compounded by watching our kids grow into amazing adults.

2014 sees Digory, my BABY boy, turning 6. Evie turns 4 in about a month. Charlotte turns 2.

I'll be 27, Hubby will turn 26 a month after my birthday.

What else is happening in 2014? I'm going out of the country for the first time in my life. I'm finding new ways to incorporate dance into my life. I get to figure out what Digory is doing for 1st (FIRST!!!) grade. Oy. I don't know how ready I am for that!

Of course, it goes without saying that Baby is going to be a pretty huge part of this year. I'm hoping that they decide to make their appearance sooner rather later- A late July birth means I'll just barely be emerging from my postpartum "what day is it?" stupor by the time school starts.

4 kids. Jaysus.

I'm sure all sorts of new adventures will take place. That's one thing I love about the new year- you not only get to reflect on the past year (which was DEFINITELY a mixed bag for me), but you also get to look forward with anticipation to what's going to happen.

So let's pour our drink of choice (Sparkling white grape juice for me, thanks), and toast to the new year. May we not only find what we want this next year, but more importantly may we find what we need, and find it within ourselves to rise to the challenge of that's required of us this year. To 2013 giving us something to one-up!
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn (karma: 1)
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 03, 2014 02:11 PM
I had a dream last night where we were playing pool. You were in your full Irish dance costume complete with wig. I have no. idea. where that came from.

And thus ends your daily lulz.
On Tue Jan 21, 2014 02:09 PM
It's been a while!

Ireland was AMAZING. I hope to have pictures up soon. The only guided tour we did was Dublin Castle, and we hit a lot of other stuff as we could. We didn't get nearly as much done as we wanted, so we already have a list of what we want to do next time we go ;)

The past few weeks have been pretty calm, but it's just the calm before the storm. February is relatively full and March is just crazy.

Evie's birthday is in February, and she's requested a princess party. I think I'm going to get my younger sister to dress up as Cinderella and crash the party. Activities planned so far include "pin the kiss on the frog" and decorating tiaras/wands. Thank God for pinterest, because I am NOT a a creative, domestic-minded mom. I work with what I have and ask for help/advice when I know I'm falling short.

Anyway, 17 weeks on Friday, and I've started feeling the first little flutters of movement. Such an awesome feeling. My morning sickness isn't as pernicious now, which is really nice. They say the second trimester is kind of the "honeymoon" of the pregnancy, and I'm glad it's arrived! The biggest downside is that I've started showing quite a bit, and perfect strangers seem to feel like they're entitled to comment on just about everything. How I look so young, how I "must have my hands full" or even "how can I handle being pregnant with so many kids". I worry that by the time I get to my 3rd trimester, I may not be in the mood for random people on the street to pass judgment and won't take their comments with any sort of grace. Ah well.

Anyway, dance is going well. I'm glad to be able to help in classes even though I'm done with competition. I'm looking forward to helping out with our slew of performances in a few months, too.
On Fri Feb 07, 2014 06:43 PM
The moon is a harsh mistress
And the sky is made of stone
On Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:02 AM
Been reeling from the sudden and unexpected death of someone near and dear to me. Things are finally starting to feel "okay"ish again.

Evie's birthday was a few weeks ago, and she had a princess party where Cinderella (my awesome little sister) made a surprise appearance. I canNOT believe she's 4 now! It blows my mind how quickly my kids are "growing up". Watching her start to navigate life on her own a bit has been such an adventure on my end. She's so adventurous and incredibly sweet, which wins over a lot of people. I absolutely love the sincerity she has, and right now when she thinks of something that may surprise me, she'll come up to me and say "Mommy, when you see this you'll be SHOCKED!". Cracks me up every time.

Speaking of kids getting older, I'm eagerly awaiting a call from a school we applied to for Digory next year. They held a lottery drawing since they only have a few available spots, and will be notifying parents that made the cut today. If this one doesn't work out, there is another school we also applied to that we're hoping to get some luck with. However, that one has even worse acceptance rates since siblings take priority and their waiting list is usually a mile long. Right now it's just a waiting game, but I really hope he gets in to one of these two schools. If not, I'll have to start reevaluating what we'll be doing for him next school year.

Starting this week, I have major stuff going on every weekend until April. I've started telling people "Don't ask me to do anything until after March". Between performances and our feis, I seriously have no time for ANYthing this month. It's a great problem to have, though. Dance is a fantastic outlet for me, and to feel like I'm contributing to my dance school by helping out really helps ME out. lol.

Baby is now big enough that the kiddos and Hubby have been able to feel them move! I have an appointment on Friday where I believe I'll be getting my 20 week sono done so I'll be able to find out whether we're expecting a boy or girl. I can't believe that I'm already 21 weeks- The first half of this pregnancy has seemed to fly by despite all the sickness. Number of weeks left is in the teens (well, that's not taking into account the few extra weeks I'm banking on because I ALWAYS go late)!

Someone tried to use our credit card number to make a few purchases out in California, so I've spent a good chunk of the morning talking to our bank. The charges will be canceled and they'll be issuing us a new card, which is a pain in the butt but better than the alternative.
On Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:34 PM
Sometimes failing a little less epically than you thought can feel a whole lot like winning :)

Feeling pretty awesome right now. Whew.
On Tue Mar 18, 2014 09:09 AM

Comment #10177748 deleted
Removed by Nyssasistic (74238) on 2014-03-21 21:40:23 nevermind...

By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 22, 2014 03:30 PM
I saw you giving awards at the feis in Dallas earlier this month. I thought about saying hi but I thought it'd be awkward since I don't know you...but I wanted to say you and the baby bump are looking great!
On Thu Mar 27, 2014 02:28 PM
Aw, thanks! I am a distracted mess atour feis, but if you ever catch me definitely feel free to come upknow. say hi :)

New garage door today; I think the old one might have been original to the house and broke about a month ago. It was heavy and the wood was rotting, so I'm glad to get a new one!

I (finally) have a sonogram scheduled for April 16th. It'll be late but better than never :)

Life's going pretty well. Lots going on at dance, but not as much as the first 3 weeks of March. It was a marathon the entire time. It's like recital week/month for "normal" dance studios.

We also got a piano this last weekend- I used to play a teensy bit and I'm definitely looking forward to teaching the kiddos the little bit I know. I think piano lessons are in Digory's near future, as well.
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 06:44 AM
Is that your first ultrasound at that point?
On Fri Mar 28, 2014 09:26 PM
^I got one to determine the due date at 8 weeks, but for various reasons I'm starting to doubt the validity of that sono. Between my former midwife messing up with scheduling and transferring to a new care provider, it's been an absolute mess. I should have had one done about 6 weeks ago.
On Thu Apr 10, 2014 02:29 PM
Tomorrow marks the beginning of the Third Trimester- woohoo! 2/3 done seems pretty great :)

Charlotte just walked through the room holding 2 different purses, saying "Bye momma, I'm going to pick up daddy" and walked out to the car. She is such a ham. I can't believe she'll be 2 next month.

I slept incredibly poorly last night and am having a hard time being productive today. Dance tonight, I'm going to be dead.

Speaking of dance, I've been working with Evelyn on the basics (really just hop 1-2-3's), and the progress is slow-going but she's really enjoying the process, so I'm letting her just go at her pace. Digory saw me working with her the other day and asked to join in (he's never shown much of an interest in Irish Dance before), and is now practicing his hop 1-2-3's daily! I have no clue if it'll stick, but he seems to be enjoying himself. I'm more concerned with making sure there's no pressure on either of them to get "hooked" with Irish dance, partially because I want their interest to happen in an organic way instead of being pushed into it by me. That being said, I am absolutely thrilled that they're both taking a liking to it!

My ultrasound is this Tuesday, and we're toying with the idea of just not finding out the gender of the baby. It would be an excellent practice for me in allowing myself to not be in total control of life, and it might be fun. However, we gave away all of Digory's baby clothes, and have very few gender-neutral outfits, which is a scary prospect. If it turned out to be a boy, it would be a scramble to get "Boyly" (Evelyn's term for boyish) clothes and that makes me a little nervous. We'll see what happens ;)
On Fri Apr 11, 2014 03:14 AM
^ if you lived closer you would be more than welcome to a stash of either gender clothing.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 11, 2014 06:17 AM
Random cultural factoid: Jews are very superstitious folks. So much so that they don't have ANYTHING baby related in the house before the baby is born. No crib, no car seat, no clothes, no diapers, no nothing. What they do is go to a baby store and select a layette. In the case of my siblings and I, we were all surprise gender babies, so my mom's layette consisted of both boy and girl stuff. A layette is similar to lay away, in that you pick out the stuff and they hold onto it until you pick it up and pay for it. Now I'm sure it done like a gift registry where you walk around the stores zapping things. So, if you want to have a surprise without the stress, do a layette!
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 04:11 PM
Aw, thanks LLD. I feel the love <3

Sara, I considered doing just that, actually. Hubby insists that he is perfectly capable of going baby-clothes shopping on his own after the baby's born if needs be, and I'm sure he would be. But adding that amount of unnecessary stress onto a sleep-deprived dad of a newborn isn't exactly my idea of a good idea.

All in all, I think I'm going to find out. I'm stressing a lot more over it than I should be, and I'd like to get names sorted out too. The surprise is just not something I'm invested in enough to make the unknown worth it! If Hubby wants to be surprised, I'll just not tell him (or anyone else), but I want to know for me.

Anyway, last week we went on our first family camping trip! It was a lot of fun; we did the traditional hot dogs and then smores. The kids loved every moment of it. The next morning, we hiked up Enchanted Rock, which was no small feat for pregnant me and the littles. Charlotte, however, insisted on climbing the entire thing herself, which was pretty impressive! Picture is of Evie and me at the foot of the rock after our traverse up and back down. If you look closely, you can see little specks at the top- those are people at the summit. Oh, and yes, there's my nice preggo belly.

Got the tree in front of our house cut down today. We bought our house in the winter, and the previous owners didn't feel like they should tell us that the tree was dead. Over the past year, it's gotten brittle and with the treacherous Texas wind, we've started having branches in increasing size coming down. The last thing we needed was to have a tree through our roof, so we said goodbye to our dead sentinel and he's gone. We're hoping to grind down the stump and get a new tree in there ASAP. Between that and replacing our garage door about a month ago, I'm hoping our expensive home improvements for the year are done... However, I'm not holding my breath. Our house is older and the AC unit will need to be replaced either this year or next. However, homeownership is SO worth it. I wouldn't trade our wonderful house for the world <3
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 08:52 PM
I just packed up 6 boxes of too small baby stuff. Kinda sad.

For some reason I kinda think boy.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:16 PM
I'm getting boy vibes from you, too, but we'll all see soon enough. :) I wish I could send you some of the neutral stuff we got for M, but you're too far away, goshdarnit!
Page:
Page 8 of 11: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed