Page:
Page 9 of 11: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 15, 2014 09:39 AM
We found out!

It's a...

Baby!

That's measuring a week and a half big so far!

Okay, okay...

Spoiler: Show
it IS a boy! Yay!

I'm one happy momma :)
By CaffeinePremium member
On Tue Apr 15, 2014 07:48 PM
Woohoo! :D
On Mon Apr 21, 2014 09:56 AM
It's Easter Monday! I had a wonderful weekend. One of my close dance pals WON the World Championships and I'm beyond proud of him. The Easter Triduum was amazing. I don't think I'll ever tire of the journey from Holy Thursday to Easter Sunday. This year was especially cool because I was able to sit down with the kids and explain the events that happened each day and they were finally old enough to pay attention/understand to an extent. I'm pretty excited that I get a whole season, culminating in Pentecost, to share with them. Everyone pays attention to Lent, but we seem to forget that there are 50 days of celebration POST Easter too!

Found out today that Digory didn't make it into the 2nd school we were gunning for, but his prospects are even worse than the first school: he's 59th on the waiting list for his grade (the first school he's 9th). It's time for me to really start evaluating what we're going to be doing with him for 1st grade.

Life is pretty good overall. I've been nesting a bit and am pretty excited over having a symmetrical family again. Digory is OVER the moon and can't wait until he gets to share his room with his little brother. I know he's not thinking of it yet, but I'm already thinking of ways to make sure he understands that his little brother isn't replacing him. Being the only Son for so long had definitely given him a unique position in the family, and I want to make sure he knows that the addition of another son doesn't make him less loveable/valuable/whatever.
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 07:43 AM
30 weeks today! 3/4 done!

The kids have their last week of school next week, so I'll get a nice break from there soon. I'll be (reluctantly) taking a break from dance starting in June, so I'll basically have an entire month of nothing planned. Since the last month of my pregnancies are usually crazy difficult (they mirror the fatigue of 1st trimester coupled with the inability to sleep/sit/stand comfortably due to the size), I think it's wisest to have a defined time that I'll take a break... But I'm not looking forward to it much. The rest I'll get will be nice, but I don't WANT to miss any dance :(

I woke up way earlier than I needed to this morning and its 8:45am and I feel like taking a nap. Oh dear.
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 09:14 PM
The Texas Ballet Theater held a performance in the square downtown today. Hubby met Lotte and I there, and we had lunch and mingled with the dancers for about a half hour before they took the stage. Charlotte was impressed and spent the whole performance mimicking the arm and leg movements. Melted my dancing-momma's heart. Along those lines, I've decided I really want a phone with a decent camera because mine isn't good at all and there are so many moments that I've been unable to capture because of it.

The In-laws just bought a new house and it is to die for. It is seriously one of the most beautiful house interiors I've ever seen. It's only a few blocks away from their current house, so we're still within a 10-minute drive from their place. Pretty awesome.

Last week of school for the kids. Also Digory's birthday this week! 6 years old and one of the sweetest, goofiest kids ever.

I've gotten about a trillion "omg you're huge" comments lately and I have to try hard not to be offended. Yes, I'm big. Huge even. But this is my 4th kid in 6 years- did you expect me to stay teensy? I'm measuring big. The baby is measuring big. Apparently I'm big. You don't have to point it out, Kay?

Note to anyone: "you're huge!" Or "you're teensy!" Are never good things to say to a pregnant woman. Say something along the lines of "you look great/fantastic/gorgeous" if you have to say anything at all about their appearance. Otherwise? Shut your mouth. If it would be rude to say to a non-pregnant lady, it would be rude to say to a pregnant one.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 30, 2014 06:26 AM
^ my personal favorite was your belly looks fake. It literally looked like I swallowed a beach ball.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 30, 2014 06:30 AM
^ my personal favorite was your belly looks fake. It literally looked like I swallowed a beach ball.
On Fri May 02, 2014 08:03 PM
Hahaha! I've had that one too. Hubby jokes that I look like a rope with a knot tied in it.

So yesterday was a marathon. Today was a marathon. Tomorrow will be a marathon. Sunday won't, although it'll be more a test of my patience than of my endurance.

Yesterday was the kids' last day of school, and for part of the school day they were having a picnic at a nearby park. I was planning on being there for that (they also sung happy birthday and whatnot to Digs), but was under the impression that the picnic wasn't until AFTER school, so the morning of I realized my mistake and sent the snacks with one of the other parents because I had an appointment with the OB that oversees the midwives I'm using.
The appointment went well, but I didn't know I was supposed to do the glucose testing that day and I had nibbled on a few cookies as well as had breakfast. They confirmed with the midwives that I didn't have to do a fasting test, but I AM worried that my snacking beforehand will mess with the test and that I'll end up having to do the 3-hour ordeal. The OB was nice enough, but was definitely focused more on liability and statistics and basically said "I would just give you an elective C-section at 39 weeks, but if you want to take the risk of waiting longer and having a vaginal birth it'll be on you". I understand and appreciate where he's coming from, but I don't think that an unnecessary C-section is going to give me the best outcome. I also trust that my midwives will catch any complications before they become BIG problems so I don't have to worry about anything catastrophic happening.
Anyway, I finish up the blood draw for the glucose test and high-tail it back to the kid's school, hoping that I could catch the tail end of the picnic. It didn't happen, but no biggie. The kids themselves enjoyed the picnic and that's all that matters.

Ran a few "Cant wait until tomorrow" errands, got home, and accidentally fell asleep on the couch. Digory noticed I was out, and turned on a movie for him and the girls to watch so Charlotte didn't bother me. I woke up about 30 minutes later; just in time to pick up Hubby from work. I was impressed that Digs took control of the situation and did what he could to keep the girls contained, but it really unsettled me to think that I was asleep while the kids were awake. Not something I'm going to do again anytime soon.
So we pick up Hubby, get home, I make dinner and run off to dance. Dance itself was great- I really love the group of kids and young adults in our school.
Make it home and pass out shortly after. Sometimes, sleep is more wonderful than anything else on earth!

Today was Digory's birthday party, and due to not getting a lot of sleep last night (long story; sometimes I wonder if my kids conspire to have issues at the same time), I was dead most of the day. Since I took a nap instead of tidying the house yesterday, it was in pretty bad shape. After breakfast, I set the kids to working on their playroom and then bedrooms. While the girls were down for naps, Digory helped me/kept me company while I worked on the rest of the house- the Kitchen needed a lot of work, the bathrooms needed to be deep-cleaned, and the whole house needed a good sweeping/vacuuming. Got that done "on schedule", and had enough time to tidy MYSELF up and get the food on the table and Digory's cake iced. While I did spend most of the day working on getting stuff ready, it was at a more relaxed pace and there was no last-minute loose ends that sent me into a panic, which was nice. The party itself was a success; It always makes me nervous to play hostess, especially when social groups mix. However, everyone got along well and the kids all really enjoyed themselves. Digory skipped eating his cake because he was so excited to get to opening his presents, lol.
After the party ended (about 7pm), we got the kiddos to sleep. I'm now writing the entry with a nice glass of milk and a piece of cake to keep me company. Hubby went to "observe" (gawk?) a Magic tournament at our local comic book store. Someone told him he should get into the game, so he's doing his homework.

Tomorrow is dance again (the long haul- 4 straight hours), and almost as soon as I get home I'll freshen up and go to a dinner party at Hubby's Boss's house. I'm VERY nervous because 1. I'm a social disaster, and this is Hubby's BOSS we're talking about and 2. it's supposed to be informal-ish, so they told us to bring the kids. Oy. I'm hoping to make a good impression, but don't know how well I'll do since I'll be exhausted from dance and will have to work on keeping all 3 kiddos in check. They're normally very well behaved, so I'm banking on them cooperating.

Sunday is Digory's party at my parent's. Woohoo?

The rest of the month seems to be just as busy (at least on the weekends). Charlotte's birthday is in 2ish weeks too. I'm hoping June is a bit slower, but if not at least I'll feel like I've fit all of my social engagements into the calendar before baby gets here!
On Sat May 03, 2014 10:18 PM
We are NOT amused -.-

(But the dinner party went well!)
On Mon May 05, 2014 03:10 PM
And I'm suddenly nesting like WHOAH.

I think my laundry room will FINALLY get finished in these next few weeks, barring some sort of catastrophe. I have MAYBE an hour of painting left to do and haven't touched it since September or so. I just need to finish it up!

Charlotte has started the process of potty training. She's not taking to it *quite* yet, but she's starting to recognize when she needs to use the restroom. Just as little siblings do, she's thrilled to sit on her potty seat like a big kid, and although it's only really play for her right now, it's perfect priming.

9 weeks- I feel like celebrating that my countdown has gone to single digits! Can't wait for this little guy to make his appearance (actually, little guy, I can. Don't think about making some sort of grand entrance anytime soon, kay?).

There's a local feis this weekend and I'm going to support all the students at our dance school. They've all been working so hard and I can't wait to see how they do onstage!

As for myself, I am getting SO restless- I can't wait until I can dance again. I'm considering talking to Hubby about joining our local YMCA so I can utilize their pool. The kids need swimming lessons this summer anyway, and it would save us a bit on classes anyway. I wonder if you can get some sort or short term membership? Something worth looking into.
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn (karma: 1)
By reeldancegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 06, 2014 07:27 PM
YMCA membership is a great idea! My parents had one forever when I was little. The YMCA we were a member at is no longer there, or else I would still be a member there.

They do all kinds of classes and have sports teams too. So if your kids want to play soccer or something when they are older, they can! They also have sleep-away camps for when the kids are older.

I played on their soccer team and my brother did basketball and baseball. But my dad was a coach for all these teams, so it was a little different for us.
On Wed May 07, 2014 04:25 PM
Digory and Evelyn had dental work done today (just a small filling for Evie, but 2 crowns for Digs and we were just lucky one tooth wasn't an extraction. Poor kiddo has MY tooth genes), and it's a standing thing that after tooth WORK they get to go next door to the dollar store and choose a small reward for themselves. I don't normally do that, but with dental work and getting vaccines from the doctor I'm totally fine with offering them a small something in return for their good behavior. Nothing is worse than getting drilled on or stuck when you're little.

Anyway, at the dollar store I found the exact same gummy mint leaves that my grandpa, who passed away from Lung Cancer in 2006, used to keep in his sunroom. When we would visit, he'd almost constantly be in there reading the newspaper, and any time we happened by he'd give us one.
I opened the bag and popped one in my mouth and suddenly I was 10 again, running around my grandparent's Montana back yard... Sugar beet factory and mountains in the background, the air was so fresh and crisp in the morning, hearing my grandpa say "Hey honey, come inside for breakfast".
I didn't even know that memory existed, but it definitely hit me full force. Having such a strong recollection reminds me how my grandparents will always live within me; always be close to me in my heart. I hope they're looking down on me from heaven and proud of who I've become. I really wish they could have met all my kiddos. My grandma got to meet Digory- he turned 1 a week after she died.

The last time I was in Montana was in 2009 for my grandmother's funeral. Knowing it would probably be the last time I got to be at their house, I took a lot of pictures. I'm glad I did.

Image hotlink - 'http://i57.tinypic.com/1tn7rc.jpg'
By CaffeinePremium member
On Wed May 07, 2014 07:04 PM
Those nostalgic memories that come from nowhere when you smell a fragrance, taste a cetain flacoiur or catch something out of the corner of your eye, they're just incredible. Every now and then I catch a whiff of my grandma's perfume, and know she's up there watching. I'm glad you've got such wonderful, warm memories of your grandparents. <3
On Thu May 15, 2014 07:47 AM
I had a dream last night that non-pregnant me drank a Starbucks out of coffee because I missed it so much. Funny thing is, during this pregnancy I haven't completely foregone coffee like I did my last pregnancies, although it has definitely been a rare treat.

Another absurdly busy weekend coming up. All of May is busy.

Debating wearing a light grey jersey maxi dress to a wedding this Saturday. Having a nice dress that fits is a godsend, but I'm not sure if the length makes it too formal, the fabric is too casual, or the color is too light. It seems like too much of a risk, but I have all of 2 dresses that fit right now and the other is getting tight. Preggo problems :)
On Fri May 16, 2014 10:16 AM
Here goes something! Getting back in that saddle feels so good.

Anyway...

Apparently I'm borderline anemic. No surprise there, it happens every pregnancy. I'll teeter on the edge of needing supplements, but won't ever actually need them. Time to beef up my diet with more iron rich stuff!

I'm also measuring closer to my gestational age than I was last time, which is good. I have definitely started feeling huge, so hearing that I'm right where I should be is comforting.

Only a few more weeks until I'm full-term!
By Tansey
On Fri May 16, 2014 03:07 PM
This brought back memories of my pregnancies; same thing would happen with me. I don't normally eat much red meat but when I'd get anemic during pregnancy I'd crave steak. Also had spinach every day; spinach salad, wilted spinach, spinach omelets. Thinking of you and hoping adding iron-rich foods does the trick for you.
On Sat May 17, 2014 09:17 PM
Thanks Tansey! I'll admit, I've been craving steak recently. Aside from the telltale fatigue, I should have known that was a dead giveaway.

Had a pretty terrible day overall today. Nothing earth I shattering, but I'm pretty ticked at a few people and really want to scream/rant/cry at them. I won't, but it would make me feel sooooo much better of I did.
On Mon May 19, 2014 08:43 AM
Sunday was a much better day, as well as Charlotte's birthday!

She's all about "bowmeenas" (ballerinas), princesses, and spiderman. She claims she's spidergirl and can "climb climb" everywhere, so while the party itself was all pink an cutesy, her birthday gift from us was a spidergirl dress I made from sewing a T-shirt and skirt together. She seems to be a fan!

The party itself went pretty well. My parents showed up an hour and a half late, and my in laws left shortly after, so there was very little overlap. It kept things less crazy, so it was an unplanned yet pleasant turn of events.

This week is relatively quiet and that's okay. I need a quiet week to make up for these crazy weekends.
On Mon May 19, 2014 08:47 AM
Whoops! Forgot pictures...

First is Charlotte trying to smile with her birthday hat on. I love her little squinty eye! I'll be so sad when she grows out of that.

Second is her spidergirl dress. Like I said, she's a fan :)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 19, 2014 08:50 AM
Hahaha, oh my goodness, the squinty eye is so classic! I can't stop laughing!
re: Keep My Eyes to Serve, My Hands to Learn (karma: 2)
On Tue May 20, 2014 12:48 PM
So I pack a special lunch for the kids, we head out to our local (gorgeous) botanic gardens, and picnic. Awesome, right?

-.-

Evie didn't like the sandwich I made for her. It was like every other sandwich I made for everyone else. She tells me that next time I should make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and she'd eat it then. I tell her that if she doesn't eat the sandwich, she won't get to play because I'm not putting up with her acting like a spoiled brat. She shoves her sandwich into the garbage, and was done.

-.-

So we head out to the local splash pad since the high is 90°f today, and I didn't realize that it wasn't open until after Memorial Day (this weekend, not yet). Instead, Digory suggested we go to the park, but it's just too hot to play in the sun and he's already splotchy and rosie-cheeked from walking around at the gardens. I tell him no, but that we could do a local train ride or visit one of the (many) museums that are closeby. The girls were gung-ho for either, but Digory throws a full-on temper tantrum. It was playground or nothing.

-.-

We end up going straight home since Evie had lost her privileges at lunch, Digory gets nothing for throwing a tantrum, and Charlotte really doesn't care. Charlotte gets ice cream when we get home for behaving herself and Digory and Evie get some time sitting on their beds to contemplate how they should behave when I take them out to do fun things.

Sigh.

It's tough being a mom on days like this. I wanted to have a fun day out- especially because the days below 100° are limited, and days where I feel up to making excursions with the kids are limited as well.

I may try again sometime, but we're going to work on gratitude and manners in the meantime.
On Thu May 22, 2014 08:26 AM
So we're dog sitting until Sunday. One of Hubby's coworkers went out of town and has this gorgeous black lab, so she's hanging out with us for a few days. We figured it would be good to get a feel for what life would be like with a dog, and although I know it's just a taste, I'm looking forward to the experience.

The owner said the only problem with her is that she seems to always be overexcited, and that I ought to watch her with the kids. So far, she's actually gotten played-out by Digory, who wants to play toss/tug of war/etc with her constantly. I'm thinking that the owner's perception comes from the fact that she's crated the majority of the day while he works, because she seems like a perfectly calm dog to me. She's been fantastic with the kids in every aspect so far.

However, my house smells like dog.

In other news, the swelling has started as the weather has warmed up. My feet are pretty puffy at the end of the day and my wedding rings are on a chain around my neck. Indigestion has also made itself a regular visitor at night, and I'm tempted to try and sleep sitting up to avoid it.

Cute story- this morning, Charlotte refused to get dressed because she loved the ballerinas on her pj's. Our compromise was that she change out of her pj's if I let her wear a leotard/skirt combo. So instead of having ballerinas on her outfit, she IS a ballerina and has been walking in releve and twirling all over the house, of course with arms in 5th position. It's fun to watch her.

Off to scout out some breakfast and run errands. Adios, DDN.
On Tue May 27, 2014 09:57 AM
Edited by Nyssasistic (74238) on 2014-05-27 10:02:01 has the mommying world gone insane?
Edited by Nyssasistic (74238) on 2014-05-27 10:03:41
Edited by Nyssasistic (74238) on 2014-05-27 10:04:32
Dog is still here. Can't get the owner to actually commit to a time to pick her up.

She's so good with the kids, but has started acting out. Let her out to use the facilities, she comes back inside and takes a dump on my floor. She's gotten restless and I can tell she just doesn't want to be here anymore.

Aside from these last few days, the whole ordeal has gone pretty much exactly as I had anticipated. It's comforting (in a way) to know that I don't have any unrealistic expectations (one way or another) when it comes to having a dog in the house. I'm still ambivalent about dogs. The kids like having one, and it might be worth getting one in the future. The extra work was what I expected it to be. My rule of thumb for figuring out situations has been "what would I do with a toddler in this situation?", and there's really only been a handful of times that the answer hasn't been appropriate for the dog.

So all in all, it's been an interesting (if not eye-opening) experience.

In other news, I am SO over this pregnancy. I weigh the most that I have EVER weighed by about 10 lbs, and that's taking my other pregnancies into consideration. I'm going to cool off from dance starting next month, and the idea is SO unappealing to me, but I know allowing myself more rest is more important.

Edit: just saw a friend's selfie that she took while her 9-month-old son had his finger up her nose. DDN, if I ever get that STFU Parents-worthy, please call me out on it. Yuck.
On Mon Jun 02, 2014 04:11 PM
List style to keep me from rambling:

•Bees have taken up in the maintenance panel of the jacuzzi we've never used on our back porch. I'm allergic to bees. Currently awaiting a call from our pest control's "wildlife" department, as I know there is a local bee shortage and would rather relocate than kill the nasty buggers.

•I don't know if I've previously mentioned it, but we got a piano not long ago. I've been able to get through a few pieces of music that I never thought I would, and seeing improvement there makes me VERY happy. My mom is/was a piano teacher, but all of us kids are self-taught and I have some seriously gaping holes in my music theory.

•Unbeknownst to me, my vacuum had a serious clog in the hose and overheated. Luckily, Eureka has apparently made it to where the vacuum just shuts off when it overheats, and I feel an immense amount of gratitude for that. Instead of panicking and having a house full of smoke, I just went "huh?", realized what happened, fixed the issue and let it cool down. Good stuff :)

•Charlotte has learned the word (singular) the the Alleluia at Church, which is super sweet when everyone else is singing the alleluia as well. Singing it for the entire remaining duration of Mass, however, garnered us 50/50 looks of "awww how cute" and "omg shut that child up". I'm currently working on teaching her the other sung parts of the mass in hopes she'll learn to just wait until the next time to sing, but... She's 2. I don't have a lot of hope that'll catch on for a while.

•The kids are playing duck duck goose and their total disregard for rules is hysterical.

•My laundry room is VERY close to completion! Hooray! Can't wait to share pictures when it's all pretty :)

•Saturday was my last day helping out at dance. Looking forward to the break, but I'm going to have a hard time with it.

•Was VERY productive (comparatively) today. I'm a happy person.
By Wicked_Elphabamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 02, 2014 05:45 PM
Nyssasistic wrote:

�Bees have taken up in the maintenance panel of the jacuzzi we've never used on our back porch. I'm allergic to bees. Currently awaiting a call from our pest control's "wildlife" department, as I know there is a local bee shortage and would rather relocate than kill the nasty buggers.

Call a bee keeper, not pest control. My "sister" had bees in a wall of her house and she felt the same as you, she called a local bee keeper who relocated the bees for a much more reasonable rate than pest control.
Page:
Page 9 of 11: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed