Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Honest, Curious question about tanning, make-up for all U12 :)
By byudawn
On Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:35 AM

Truly, I am not trying to start anything here :)
As I was talking to some non-irish dancing friends, the topic of make-up and tanning was brought up and I remembered in the recesses of my brain that when DD and I started this whole irish dance 6 years ago, I thought there was a rule for NO make-up for any dancer under 12?

And for "fun" I just googled and here is what it said on Wikipedia (which I know is also not the best resource):
The championship competitions are usually danced on stages with a lot of lighting. To prevent looking washed out, dancers often wear stage makeup and tan their legs. A rule was put in place in January 2005 for Under 10 dancers forbidding them to wear fake tan, and in October 2005 it was decided that Under 12 dancers who were in the Beginner and Primary levels would not be allowed to wear fake tan or make up.

I guess I"m just wondering if that is still a rule, and where it is, (we are WEstern REgion) and IF it is indeed a rule, why no one follows it? I kind of agree with it, but at the O and NANs like EVERY dancer there is totally wearing it and look absolutely gorgeous in the U9/U10/U11s and my poor dd with a mom who has no idea how to do it right! ;)

I'm just curious---anyone that can find out? Any thoughts?
I know most of the time they ARE on a stage with bright light---but if the rule is no make-up it shouldn't matter? Or do judges care?
I do agree though with what I read once---that when you spend that amount of money on a dress, you need the face to match?
(We do the make-up thing, I just suck at it!)

4 Replies to Honest, Curious question about tanning, make-up for all U12 :)

re: Honest, Curious question about tanning, make-up for all U12 :)
By byudawn
On Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:39 AM
Wait wait wait!!! DUH!!! I just re-read AFTER I posted that it does say Beginner and Primary levels for the no-make-up thing.... NOT Champs. Ok. Now I feel silly! ;)
By Rockstar679
On Fri Mar 15, 2013 01:10 AM
Lol only beginner and advanced beginner apply to this rule. So novice and prizewinners are a go for makeup at any age. Practice will make you good at it. Try YouTube on application. Thats how I learned how to do the hair. Have fun with it. I buy the makeup that is for her eye color. I think physicians formula makes it. It gives you all the right colors .
By OhioMom
On Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:39 PM
When my dd was younger, MidAmerica region put in a no makeup rule for any U12 other than champs. We were fine with it, as it was an even field. She hit PC, then we needed to figure it out. I think the rule was later modified to apply only to beginner levels.

I'm clueless about makeup too. My dd's TC asked a senior dancer to help her out at a feis, and we took notes and pictures, then practiced at home. As my dd got older, she took over full makeup responsibility (thank goodness!). Now my only role is the occasional "you need to touch up your lipstick" or "shiny nose - add powder" - and that's the way I like it.
By mandees11
On Sat Mar 23, 2013 02:56 PM
youtu.be . . .
here's a great makeup video

ReplySendWatch