Forum: Adults / Children & Parenting

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: why oh why can she just not sleep
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:51 AM
I was incredibly lucky. My son always zonked out early and slept like a log. My infant daughter didn't need much sleep (and as a child, teenager and adult continued not to!) but it wasn't a problem. If I looked into her room at 2AM, as a toddler she would be sitting up in her crib quietly playing with her toys. During "naptime" she would quietly stay awake, too. I sometimes felt like I'd given birth to the Tinman or the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz who never slept but recognized that their human friends needed to so sat quietly and relaxed at nighttime.

At 3 years I think your daughter should be able to comprehend that most people need to sleep when it is dark; so everybody goes to bed. If she is different from other people and doesn't need to sleep, fine, but she must stay in bed quietly regardless. She may have toys to play with but if she gets bored she may not wake other people up to keep her company.

As for enforcing this -- that is tough! I have no idea how to do it short of hiring a night watchman. At 3 a child is able to climb out of bed and raise all sorts of havoc! One of my grandsons at that age, had been curious about the running water in the sink, washbasin and bathtub. Similar to his aunt, my daughter, he did not give a fuss about going to bed. But one night he quietly got up in the wee hours, managed to get chairs and things to climb on, plugged all the drains with towels and stuff, and turned on all the taps full blast. By the time my son and daughter-in-law woke up in the morning the house was flooded!

So all I can think of is try to establish a routine like others have suggested and stress staying quietly in bed as the appropriate thing to do at night whether you are awake or asleep.
By dancemomtoo Comments: 2643, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:49 PM
I agree-at three she should be able to understand that she must stay quietly in bed until it is light out-thats a non negotiable. If it has been negotiable in the past of course you will meet resistance. They key thing is to not cave. It takes 21 days for a new habit/rule to be enforced with kids (if you goof up the 21 days restarts)

Also at 3 she does not need an hour wind down-I thought you were talking about a younger child. But she does still need a ritual, it just doesn't have to be quite so elaborate.

Maybe let her pick a prize and do a sticker chart-every third day she gets to collect if she stays quietly in bed.

If she wakes up you can invite her into your bed SO LONG AS SHE IS STILL AND QUIET. The second she tries anything thats it-back to bed she goes

Be extremely matter of fact-not emotional-and use the same words every time-its till dark out-the rule is people stay in bed until its light out.

If you don't want her wandering around the house get one of those child proof doorknobs covers and put it on the inside doorknob-she won't be able to get out!

We had a waker/wanderer at 2 1/2. He liked to sleep with his door about 3 inches open. When he refused to stay in bed we told him we were going to help him and put the doorknob cover on-if he left his room without a valid reason he got put back i bed and the door got closed. He did not like that so after the second night he stayed in bed even when he woke up-and fell back asleep on about 15 minutes (I could hear everything on the monitor)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 06:55 AM
Edited by LlamaLlamaDuck (113868) on 2013-03-21 07:24:15
She made it through the night with a 3am whine.

She's not quite 3yet.

Quiet time she asks for. So until she stops asking I will give it.

She slept till 915 am... And I do believe she sleeps better in footie jammies. I swear she always sleeps through the night in them.
re: why oh why can she just not sleep (karma: 2)
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:39 PM
Research has shown that kids with sleeping problems do sleep better with socks or footie pajamas, because with warm feet, there is one less thing to wake up about.

My sister and brother-in-law use the color changing alarm clock with my nephew (now age 5) because he was wake up at all hours and want to play. they also had to put a baby gate across his door for a time after he learned to open the door, before he understood that he shouldn't go roaming the house at night.
re: why oh why can she just not sleep (karma: 1)
By TuniePremium member Comments: 1995, member since Mon Aug 08, 2005
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 06:11 PM
dancemomtoo wrote:

If you don't want her wandering around the house get one of those child proof doorknobs covers and put it on the inside doorknob-she won't be able to get out!

I don't know how I feel about this. It feels too much like locking a child in their room. My biggest concern is fire - what if mom and dad can't get to the her, but she is able to get herself out of the house? (I am not speaking of LLD's child and house specifically, just raising the concern in general.)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 08:16 PM
I put the spinner on the inside of her door a long time ago. It's just a matter of time before she figures that one out too.

We never had a single baby gate with her. She never went near the stairs if the light was off... so never needed it.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 09:21 PM
I'm not up to this stage with M yet, but one thing that helped me sleep when I was little were "magic" buttons on my pjs. (Those buttons went on every single pair of pjs I had until I was nine, and I still have them somewhere!). I was a kid with night terrors, and mum swears giving me the (pretty, faceted) buttons gave me something to concentrate on, rather than being scared to go to sleep.

If T has a sense of whimsy and believes in fairies and magic, put some "magic" buttons on her pjs, then after a bedtime routine of bath (have you tried Johnson's Bedtime Bath aromatherapy stuff?), reading a book together and quiet time in her room, get her to rub the buttons on her pjs to make the "magic" work and she has nice dreams. The story of the sun you posted on the previous page is inspired, too :)

I'm glad she got a (mostly) decent night's sleep last night. Hopefully she's almost through this growth spurt and will keep sleeping better!
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 09:27 PM
she won't sleep with socks on, only footie jammies, bonnie togs had the carters fleecy ones on for $5 the other day and I bought the only 2 pairs in her size... I'll have to check out the boys section or another store
On Fri Mar 22, 2013 01:20 AM
We put on the suns favorite jammies... It works.

She seems to be getting a bit of a cold. I gave her some hylands cold and cough night time... That stuff knocks her out. I'm hearing coughing on the monitor... Uggg. I also did a half dose of Tylenol because I also think there is a tooth on its way out.

Here's to the gravol I just took and a good long sleep.
On Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52 PM
Longest night ever ... Poor thing would cry every time she coughed and would cough more when she cried. I don't think either one of us got into a decent sleep till about 5 or so this morning.

It sounds like she's losing her voice this morning...

I swear this cols came out of no where... Fine all day than bam at bed time a cough and runny nose started.

I'm just hoping I don't get it.
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Fri Mar 22, 2013 02:01 PM
Sounds like time to go back to the doctor to me. If she's getting sick again better the nip it in the bud instead of trying to make her tough it out - her immune system might be to low for that.
On Fri Mar 22, 2013 08:26 AM
Edited by LlamaLlamaDuck (113868) on 2013-03-22 09:06:37
Won't be going back to the Dr anytime soon... Or doing antbiotics anytime soon either. Yeast infection after the last lot. And that was not worth it at all... And yes I was giving her probiotic yoghurt while she was on antibiotics.

Im not one of those omg my kid has a cold need to run to the Dr... I'd rather wait it out a few days and see if its just a cold that goes away on its own. No fever with this one.

I'm not against going to the doctor but if you have a normal immunesystem there us no need to go running to tthe doctor for every little thing.

If its just a cold... Its viral meaning it doesn't need antibiotics. Therefore no reason to go to the doctor. If she develops a fever that won't go away then I may take her to the doctor.

We are headed towards an environment where no antibiotics are.going to work because they are so overused.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Sun Mar 24, 2013 02:51 AM
LLD, has she been allergy tested?

I'm about to have my boy tested because I also do not like to use antibiotics too much. But when his little nose is blocked all the time and he does not have an infection, I need some answers as to why, so I have to go and get his blood drawn (OMG, not looking forward to that) and make sure he's not allergic to something in his environment or something that he's eating.
On Sun Mar 24, 2013 07:24 PM
Defiantly a cold because we all have it now.

She's doing much better... And has slept the last 2 nights.

She stayed at my in-laws Fri night and they gave her a bottle (which I have not since last summer)... It seems to make her sleep... But I'm not going to reintroduce something I have weaned her off of.
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Mar 24, 2013 07:43 PM
Going to the doctor doesn't always mean they will give anti-biotics. We take Connor when he starts coming down with a bad cold due to his asthma that always goes into his chest. While medication isn't going to cure anything viral, they can give a prescription for coughing that is stronger than we can buy in the store, or even a better prescription decongestant sometimes. Heck I just went to urgent care when I had some freaky intestinal virus because I was worried about dehydration and the prescription they gave me to stop the diarrhea and nausea helped so I could actually work the following day. None were anti-biotics, but made life much easier and better.
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 02:44 PM
It was definitely just a cold. I have never given her anything non homeopathic for a cough. Even when she had the croopy cough the Dr didn't give her anything stronger for it.

She has been good with sleeping the last little while. Fingers crossed it continues.

It was my dad waking me up at 345 this morning because he was convinced it was time to leave forhis dialysis. HE thought that 345 meant quarter to seven. I had to argue with him for 30 min to get him to understand that it wasn't time to leave yet.

I swear I'm just going to check myself into a local motel for a few days and get some sleep. Cause I'm not getting any at home. Between idiot husband staying up all night playing video games and my dad I haven't slept through the night in a while. I can't wait for hubby to go back to work... Only 4 more nights.
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:35 PM
If your husband is already up all night playing video games, then can he tend to your daughter for a few nights so you can get some sleep?
On Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:51 PM
Hubby normally works nights... He has been off this week. Of course she has slept all week.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch