Forum: Arts / Humor

Humor
Why did the chicken cross the road? Real meaning??? (karma: 1)
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 04:33 PM

To get to the other side.

A friend just explained to me that this is in reference to the chicken "crossing" over into the afterlife. I had no idea my childhood joke was so gruesome.

9 Replies to Why did the chicken cross the road? Real meaning???

re: Why did the chicken cross the road? Real meaning??? (karma: 2)
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 06:36 PM
No, no, no Lauren....The was in reference to an armadillo. They never make it to the other side. (Armadillo aka "Texas Speed Bump."

Jon
re: Why did the chicken cross the road? Real meaning??? (karma: 4)
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Thu Mar 21, 2013 07:56 PM
Here is every answer why, from different philosophies and authors around the world. Taken from eserver.org

WHY DID THE CHICKEN CROSS THE ROAD?

Plato: For the greater good.

Karl Marx: It was a historical inevitability.

Machiavelli: So that its subjects will view it with admiration,as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road, but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely chicken's dominion maintained.

Hippocrates: Because of an excess of light pink gooey stuff in its pancreas.

Jacques Derrida: Any number of contending discourses may be discovered within the act of the chicken crossing the road, and each interpretation is equally valid as the authorial intent can never be discerned, because structuralism is DEAD, DAMMIT, DEAD!

Thomas de Torquemada: Give me ten minutes with the chicken and I'll find out.

Timothy Leary: Because that's the only kind of trip the Establishment would let it take.

Douglas Adams: Forty-two.

Nietzsche: Because if you gaze too long across the Road, the Road gazes also across you.

Oliver North: National Security was at stake.

B.F. Skinner: Because the external influences which had pervaded its sensorium from birth had caused it to develop in such a fashion that it would tend to cross roads, even while believing these actions to be of its own free will.

Carl Jung: The confluence of events in the cultural gestalt necessitated that individual chickens cross roads at this historical juncture, and therefore synchronicitously brought such occurrences into being.

Jean-Paul Sartre: In order to act in good faith and be true to itself, the chicken found it necessary to cross the road.

Ludwig Wittgenstein: The possibility of "crossing" was encoded into the objects "chicken" and "road", and circumstances came into being which caused the actualization of this potential occurrence.

Albert Einstein: Whether the chicken crossed the road or the road crossed the chicken depends upon your frame of reference.

Aristotle: To actualize its potential.

Buddha: If you ask this question, you deny your own chicken-nature.

Howard Cosell: It may very well have been one of the most astonishing events to grace the annals of history. An historic, unprecedented avian biped with the temerity to attempt such an herculean achievement formerly relegated to homo sapien pedestrians is truly a remarkable occurence.

Salvador Dali: The Fish.

Darwin: It was the logical next step after coming down from the trees.

Emily Dickinson: Because it could not stop for death.

Epicurus: For fun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson: It didn't cross the road; it transcended it.

Johann von Goethe: The eternal hen-principle made it do it.

Ernest Hemingway: To die. In the rain.

Werner Heisenberg: We are not sure which side of the road the chicken was on, but it was moving very fast.

David Hume: Out of custom and habit.

Jack Nicholson: 'Cause it (censored) wanted to. That's the (censored) reason.

Pyrrho the Skeptic: What road?

Ronald Reagan: I forget.

John Sununu: The Air Force was only too happy to provide the transportation, so quite understandably the chicken availed himself of the opportunity.

The Sphinx: You tell me.

Mr. T: If you saw me coming you'd cross the road too!

Henry David Thoreau: To live deliberately ... and suck all the marrow out of life.

Mark Twain: The news of its crossing has been greatly exaggerated.

Molly Yard: It was a hen!

Zeno of Elea: To prove it could never reach the other side.

Chaucer: So priketh hem nature in hir corages.

Wordsworth: To wander lonely as a cloud.

The Godfather: I didn't want its mother to see it like that.

Keats: Philosophy will clip a chicken's wings.

Blake: To see heaven in a wild fowl.

Othello: Jealousy.

Dr Johnson: Sir, had you known the Chicken for as long as I have, you would not so readily enquire, but feel rather the Need to resist such a public Display of your own lamentable and incorrigible Ignorance.

Mrs Thatcher: This chicken's not for turning.

Supreme Soviet: There has never been a chicken in this photograph.

Oscar Wilde: Why, indeed? One's social engagements whilst in town ought never expose one to such barbarous inconvenience - although, perhaps, if one must cross a road, one may do far worse than to cross it as the chicken in question.

Kafka: Hardly the most urgent enquiry to make of a low-grade insurance clerk who woke up that morning as a hen.

Swift: It is, of course, inevitable that such a loathsome, filth-ridden and degraded creature as Man should assume to question the actions of one in all respects his superior.

Macbeth: To have turned back were as tedious as to go o'er.

Whitehead: Clearly, having fallen victim to the fallacy of misplaced concreteness.

Freud: An die andere Seite zu kommen. (Much laughter)

Hamlet: That is not the question.

Donne: It crosseth for thee.

Pope: It was mimicking my Lord Hervey.

Constable: To get a better view.
re: Why did the chicken cross the road? Real meaning???
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Fri Mar 22, 2013 06:45 AM
why did the lollipop cross the road?

It was stuck to the chickens butt
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Mar 26, 2013 01:48 AM
I say the chicken crossed because it was in a dry county.
re: Why did the chicken cross the road? Real meaning??? (karma: 1)
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Mar 26, 2013 02:42 AM
Why did the dancer cross the road?

Because she/he had to "do it on the other side."

Keep On Dancing*
By studiodancer7777 Comments: 6, member since Mon Apr 08, 2013
On Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:44 PM
Did you know that ring a round the rosies is really about the black plaugue?
Creepy
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:51 AM
Hee hee... found this at random...
and couldn't HELP but post it:

Computer Chickens
stat.fsu.edu . . .
Windows2000 Chicken: Will cross the road in June. No, August. September for sure.

OS/2 Chicken: It crossed the road in style years ago, but it was so quiet that nobody noticed .

Windows ME Chicken: You see different colored feathers while it crosses, but cook it and it still tastes like ... chicken.

Microsoft Chicken (TM): It's already on both sides of the road. And it just bought the road.

Microsoft Chicken (TM): After noticing that it is the only chicken to successfully cross the road, the US DOJ declares then the Microsoft Chicken (TM) is a 900 pound gorilla, not a chicken, and wants to divide it into several smaller gorillas and place them in the middle of the road hoping traffic will run them down...

Netscape Chicken: Stands in the middle of the road loudly squawking about how the Microsoft Chicken is keeping it from crossing the road.

Apple Macintosh Chicken: Crossed the road long ago and still claims to be the first chicken that we could actually see cross the road.

BASIC Chicken: has crossed the road many more times than any of the other chickens - and constantly complains about how..."in my day we didn't have 21" SVGA or 17" Flat panel monitors, we had crappy black and white TV sets AND WE LIKED IT!"..."in my day we expressed RAM in BYTES, we thought megabyte was something you did when you were hungry.."

Pascal Chicken: After all these years, still faith fully helping the farm kids get enough confidence to hold hands with a C Chicken and cross the road.

OOP Chicken: It doesn't need to cross the road, it just sends a message.

Assembler Chicken: First it builds the road ...

C Chicken: It crosses the road without looking both ways.

C++ Chicken: The chicken wouldn't have to cross the road, you'd simply refer to him on the other side.

VB Chicken: nzHighways!TheRoad.cross (aChicken).

Delphi Chicken: The chicken is dragged across the road and dropped on the other side.

Java Chicken: If your road needs to be crossed by a chicken, the server will download one to the other side. (Of course, those are chicklets).

Web Chicken: Jumps out onto the road, turns right, and just keeps on running.

Gopher Chicken: Tried to run, but got flattened by the Web chicken.

Newton Chicken: Can't cluck, can't fly, and can't lay eggs, but you can carry it across the road in your pocket!

Cray Chicken: Crosses faster than any other chicken, but if you don't dip it in liquid nitrogen first, it arrives on the other side fully cooked. "

for some fun, a children's game of why the chicken crossed the road:
www.thekidzpage.com . . .

and, if you REAAAA LLY have to dig deeper:
wiki.answers.com . . .
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat May 18, 2013 09:21 AM
Luther Burbank: Crossed the road with what?
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sat May 18, 2013 12:46 PM
Why did the chicken cross the road?

Gordon Ramsay: "BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T ::bleep:: COOK IT!"

Love me some Hell's Kitchen. ;)

ReplySendWatch