Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Lyrical
FootUndeez: What's with the nude color?
By Jassie Comments: 39, member since Mon Feb 04, 2013
On Thu Mar 28, 2013 06:09 PM

So I joined a dance company last Fall and they required us to own a pair of FoodUndeez, Dance Paws, etc for some of the performances. So, all excited, I went out and bought a lovely pair of Rhinestone footundeez from a local dance shop downtown.
I already wore them and everything but my problem right now is that I've heard how people are supposed to match the color of the dance shoes with your actual skin color. (For some reason, I didn't already know this)

I thought the rhinestone ones were so pretty but they only come in Nude. I'm black. Do you think there's a way to dye them a darker color without messing them up? Or do you think this is a silly thing to worry about?

Here's what they look like:
www.capezio.com . . .

Thanks

9 Replies to FootUndeez: What's with the nude color?

re: FootUndeez: What's with the nude color?
By SJTechniques Comments: 30, member since Sun Jan 29, 2012
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:38 AM
I am not very familiar with the actual fabric of footUndeez, but Rit is a popular brand of fabric dye. You could possibly dye them with that but I'm not sure if that would be bad for the suede soles. Another option is to "pancake" them like you would with pointe shoes (with a sponge and foundation or something)... I would just be very light handed with it since the fabric is so thin.

I know you probably want to use the shoes you've purchased, but footUndeez come in several different colors for skin tones, including black and espresso. You can find them online.
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 01:27 PM
Dying them will likely not work very well. Rit dye works best with cotton, and will not take to artificial fibres like nylon at all.

The undeez look like they're made of a number of different materials, and so will dye really unevenly. The elastic band probably would stay pale, the material might darken a bit, and the suede would get ruined and shiny from the water.

I'd say either stick with what you have, and say you couldn't find anything in your skintone, or else order them in expresso from online.

You could always wear the rhinestone one for practice, and keep the toned ones for performance.
On Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 PM
Alrighty, thanks guys :)

I just won't worry about it for now!
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sun Apr 07, 2013 05:17 PM
Have you tried emailing Capezio to ask them if there's a dye they recommend?
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 03:53 PM
Actually, I have not. But that is a really good idea. Thanks hummingbird! :)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Thu Apr 11, 2013 04:43 PM
If you are in a pinch, could you color them with a brown sharpie?
By Panda_Bear Comments: 410, member since Tue Feb 02, 2010
On Fri Apr 12, 2013 01:02 AM
I have seen truly black foot undies in my local dance shop. I don't know how the color would work with you skin tone, they will likely be off some what but would they be an option? www.discountdance.com . . .
discount dance is showing that they come in nude ( pale) , tan ( medium) and black ( dark)
By impactdancer01 Comments: 8, member since Sun May 26, 2013
On Thu May 30, 2013 05:29 PM
All my foot thongs (foot undeez) are a different color than my skin. I use the powder foundation I use on my face for a competition and coat them with it. Usually does the trick(:
By balletgirl4ever Comments: 535, member since Tue Jul 31, 2012
On Fri May 31, 2013 09:35 AM
The nude colour is more like "very tanned" I have such pale skin so when I wear my foot undeez they stand out a mile!

ReplySendWatch