Forum: Arts / Religion

Religion
Any Wiccan or Pagan members here on DDN?
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Mar 28, 2013 07:45 PM

Hi everyone! I'm exploring different religions, I don't really feel I "fit in" with Christianity, so I'm looking at possibly others.

The 2 that have caught my eye the most are Wicca and Paganism.

I was wondering if you guys would mind answering questions for me, if you would, that would be great! :)

6 Replies to Any Wiccan or Pagan members here on DDN?

re: Any Wiccan or Pagan members here on DDN?
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Thu Mar 28, 2013 08:30 PM
I used to have a really good friend who was Wiccan, and we talked a lot about it and I read a few books on it. It's a very interesting religion for sure.
By KaydeeJayde Comments: 190, member since Thu Jul 21, 2011
On Thu Mar 28, 2013 09:31 PM
I am! :) Feel free to ask me any questions you might have, I'll do my best to answer.
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Thu Mar 28, 2013 09:50 PM
KaydeeJayde wrote:

I am! :) Feel free to ask me any questions you might have, I'll do my best to answer.

Well, what are the major beliefs you have? Like Christians believe Jesus died for our sins and what not. What do Pagans and Wiccans believe? Do they have one God or many?

I'll come back later, because I have dance tonight. :)
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Sun Mar 31, 2013 02:30 PM
I am a bit of a spiritual mutt, and I would not outright call myself Wiccan or pagan, but I do observe some pagan traditions.

For example, the wheel of the year is pretty important to me. I try to mark the solstices and equinoxes in my own ways. I first fell into the tradition of doing so because I feel like I owe some reverence to nature, and that death and re-birth on a basic level are a constant part of life.

That said, I know there is a whole load of stuff about the festivals that I just don't get into (for example things like sacrifice, just don't float my boat. At all.) I also know that the wheel of the year is considered a contemporary pagan thing, and I'm not sure if you're looking at a more ye olde traditional stuff, but thought I;d chip into the discussion anyway.
By Damhnaitmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Sun Apr 22, 2007
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:58 PM
I used to be a Neo-Wiccan until I really opened my eyes and learned what I was doing.

I am not at all going to say Wicca is wrong because that is NOT what I believe. It is a very peaceful religion. However, there are things you need to take into account:

If you choose Wicca, you are considered a "Neo-Wiccan" unless you are initiated into the religion and go through the Year and a Day ritual where you study for a year and a day before you commit. Many will argue this is incorrect, but Wicca is a formal religion like any other, and as you need to be baptized in Christianity to be fully considered part of the church, you need to be initiated to be considered a "true" Wiccan.

Another thing is make sure you are very careful about appropriation. Do not go off and choose just any gods or goddesses you may want- some may be of a closed culture. Here's a good page about not appropriating while choosing a deity or deities(Warning: some language): khalheyokha.tumblr.com . . .
I don't know about all cultures, but for one, Native American cultures and terms are CLOSED. Do NOT use terms like "spirit animal", "Totems", or "smudging". While smoke cleansing with sage is not appropriating, the term itself is. Here's a link on the differences between "smudging" and smoke cleansing: khalheyokha.tumblr.com . . .

Also remember, you can be a witch without being a Wiccan, believe it or not. There are Hearth witches, kitchen witches, green witches, anything-under-the-sun witches, even Catholic witches, you just simply need to look up and find what you're interested in.

Before you chose Wiccan or paganism ask yourself if it's the religious aspect of it that attracts you or if you'd like to use magic. Yes, I fully believe magic and divination are 100% real, but you don't need a religion to practice it. Is being close to nature your main goal (like mine was)? A lot of Wicca or paganism is nature orientated, yes, but you don't necessarily need to be either to celebrate the solstice or equinoxes and pay your dues to nature.

And a big thing to remember, and I'm going to quote Once Upon A Time here, is "All magic comes with a price". When using magic, you use energy. Energy of yours goes out to other people, people's energy goes to you. You are connected, in a sense. In minor cases you can feel tired and sick if you do too much. In major cases I've had a friend who did readings for people or crossed into the spirit lands, show up in everyone's dreams in not-so-fun ways (when I say dreams, I mean nightmares), or apparitions of this friend started showing up in people's houses and I was included in this phenomenon.

On the topic of magic, there is no "white" magic and "black" magic. Wicca teaches the Threefold law where whatever energy you send out will come back and you three times as strong, good or bad, so Wicca tends to gravitate towards "good spells only". But there is no black and white. There is a lot of grey area. "Harm none" wicca teaches, but if you cast a curse on an ex that raped you so that he can never land a girlfriend again, there's grey area there. You're possibly helping a girl, possibly ruining this man's love life.

In short, remember:

1. Do not appropriate. Silver Ranvenwolf's books tend to be super appropriative and full of misguiding "information". As you progress in your studies, you'll find you can easily weed out bad information from good, but until you figure that out it's really trial and error.
2. Magic comes with a price. Don't overdo it. It is real. It is not a game.
3. You need to be initiated to be a true Wiccan, despite what anyone says. Real wiccans, who've been initiated, are extremely insulted when someone picked up a book and now call themselves Wiccan. You can be a Neo-Wiccan without initiation, though.

Best of luck to you, and you can ask me about anything, my PM box is open =)
re: Any Wiccan or Pagan members here on DDN? (karma: 1)
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 PM
I would check out reddit.com . . .

:)

ReplySendWatch